New dented exhaust worth replacing?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

New dented exhaust worth replacing?

Post by Jim »

Hey guys, just a quick opinion from you. I've finally gone a bought a whole new exhaust system for the Capri as the other one is blowing, banging, and made up of various different brands that just don't fit together properly. So I've bought a compete standard klarius system, but the middle box has a few dents in it. Just wondering if you guys think its worth taking back and swapping it. The dents will be on top of the system so you won't be able to see it at all but its just the point that I've bought it new and it was dented before it was even delivered. I've (hopefully) attached the photos below. What do you guys think? Should I just live with it or go through the hassle of getting it replaced?

There's a couple more smaller ones as well in similar area that aren't in the photos above.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Re: New dented exhaust worth replacing?

Post by nigecapri »

If I were in your position I would just fit it and use it. They're tossed around as soon as they come off the production line and it's likely a replacement that has come through the same system will carry superficial damage.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I'd just fit it too, especially if you won't see it once it's on the car.
Where did you buy it from? I've never heard of these people before.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I shouldn't be too worried about it but it's annoying something supposedly new is damaged.

See you next weekend James, will email or call you before the end of the week.

Paul.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Fit it. If the pipe was badly dented to restrict gas flow that would be different.

Have bought Stainless Systems and they have all been great. As said above, cheaper items gets thrown around more :doh:

:goodluck:
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I won't go through all the hassle of replacing it and just fit it with the dents.
Paul G wrote:I shouldn't be too worried about it but it's annoying something supposedly new is damaged.

Paul.
Thanks Paul, much appreciated. I'll see you over the weekend. I'll replace the exhaust during the week after work hopefully but was thinking I won't reconnect the exhaust manifold in order to avoid more gaskets and give us something to grab on to when replacing the head. What do you think?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Jim wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I won't go through all the hassle of replacing it and just fit it with the dents.
Paul G wrote:I shouldn't be too worried about it but it's annoying something supposedly new is damaged.

Paul.
Thanks Paul, much appreciated. I'll see you over the weekend. I'll replace the exhaust during the week after work hopefully but was thinking I won't reconnect the exhaust manifold in order to avoid more gaskets and give us something to grab on to when replacing the head. What do you think?
Email sent.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Jim wrote:So I've bought a compete standard klarius system
I've been very happy with my Klarius system Jim, fits together very well and has a lovely sound to it. On my car I did cut an inch off the long straight underneath which connects to the manifold though. Just because it was very close at the back and was almost touching the rear valance, especially with expansion when the system is hot. So you may just want to be aware of that just in case.
Jim

Post by Jim »

pbar wrote:
Jim wrote:So I've bought a compete standard klarius system
I've been very happy with my Klarius system Jim, fits together very well and has a lovely sound to it. On my car I did cut an inch off the long straight underneath which connects to the manifold though. Just because it was very close at the back and was almost touching the rear valance, especially with expansion when the system is hot. So you may just want to be aware of that just in case.
Thanks for the heads up regarding the fit, I'll bear that in mind. Comparing the 2.0l and the 1.6l exhausts by klarius there seems to be slightly different shapes between the two engine sizes so it will be interesting to see if that makes any difference. Annoyingly, I'm replacing a klarius exhaust that is already on there, although the back box was initially replaced on its own and had to be severely bent in order for it to fit on to the other brand of middle section that was already on the car at the time (at least I hope the difference in brands was the issue).

Does anyone know a good/easy way to remove the middle resonator from the two rubber hangers? I'm struggling like buggery trying to get them off and after a generic search, it would seem that exhausts are a pain to remove from their hangers in general.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Jim wrote:
Does anyone know a good/easy way to remove the middle resonator from the two rubber hangers? I'm struggling like buggery trying to get them off
You can get a tool (like a strong hook) for the purpose but it can be brute force (and pry bar or screwdriver, etc.) and washing up liquid/grease which wins the day. Those rubber hangers are tough things!