Starting issue after long drive

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Starting issue after long drive

Post by Caprigear »

The correct battery for the OHC engines is the 085 with the flat posts. 097 is for the V6 models.I can get both.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Funny never new that as I have the 097 fitted to my 2.0 petrol is that still ok ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Paul G wrote:One basic question no one has asked yet - do you have an ignition light when you turn the key to position 2? With alternator failure usually you lose the ignition light altogether if the rectifier has failed and the light stays on all the time when the regulator fails.
Hi Paul.

Thanks for the reply. Yep I do get an ignition light mate. It 'behaves' exactly as it would with a flat battery. Will clean up battery posts, terminals and starter connections then take some more readings.
Caprigear wrote:The correct battery for the OHC engines is the 085 with the flat posts. 097 is for the V6 models.I can get both.

Good to know you can still get the 085 battery Martin but this would mean new battery cables making up with flat terminals. May well decide on this. As my engine bay is not 100% original I am not too concerned about this but if I do I will def get onto you mate :)

Thanks again chaps

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

I bought a brand new battery 8 weeks ago for my 3.2l Merc as it went flat and wouldn't hold a charge. Paid £85 from Halfrauds fitted. 6 weeks of hardly any use later and it was flat again. Changed the alternator but still kept going flat. Found out that the stereo was wired perm all the time and was draining it over the course of 3 days. Re-wired it and recharged the battery and a week later, it failed again. Put a battery tester on and it had a dead cell. Went back to Halfrauds and they tried telling me it was fine, just low on charge. After a lecture on the fact I only do short journeys etc (I've had car since January and am still on the 1st fill tank of fuel :lol: ) I insisted they replace it. They did and I haven't had an issue since. Last time I used car before today was 2 weeks ago. 7.45am today, got in, fired 1st turn of the key and drove it the 1/2 mile to work. :mrgreen:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Been caught too many times leaving a car for 2 or 3 weeks and its flat due to radio code/clock etc :doh:

Now I always disconnect my battery when car not in use, even when I get to a show I do it, so in theory(?) battery should always be nearly fully charged.
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator

Post by SmokeEm »

andyd wrote:Been caught too many times leaving a car for 2 or 3 weeks and its flat due to radio code/clock etc :doh:

Now I always disconnect my battery when car not in use, even when I get to a show I do it, so in theory(?) battery should always be nearly fully charged.
Too much grief for me - battery is under rear seats and only the passenger door has a key hole. Disconnecting the battery means using the key to open passenger door, lean over and open drivers door. Go back around and get in drivers door to open rear door. Remove back seat, reconnect battery, then use key fob to deactivate the immobilser and then refit seats before driving off. Far too much grief... ask me how I know :lol:
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

My money's on the battery Nick....... Mine gave up this year the day before Simply Ford :banghead: Fortunately Eurocar parts had one in stock :D

Lack of use over the winter months had caused mine to pack up. If you don't use them they seem to fail, best bet is to buy a trickle charger with a maintenance function which exercises the battery rather than just keeping it topped up.

Never heard vasoline being a problem on the terminals, lots of people did this in the past to prevent corrosion setting in.

Good luck sorting this
Neil
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

sheff wrote:My money's on the battery Nick....... Mine gave up this year the day before Simply Ford :banghead: Fortunately Eurocar parts had one in stock :D

Lack of use over the winter months had caused mine to pack up. If you don't use them they seem to fail, best bet is to buy a trickle charger with a maintenance function which exercises the battery rather than just keeping it topped up.

Never heard vasoline being a problem on the terminals, lots of people did this in the past to prevent corrosion setting in.

Good luck sorting this
Neil
Hi Neil.

Thanks mate. Yep looking at it again briefly tonight it is definately behaving like it would do if battery is flat. Maybe exposing it to too much sun at Deal caused it to fail ? I certainly got too much exposure to the sun and am still suffering :lol:

But on a serious note It would be interesting to research the effects prolonged exposure to sunlight may have on a battery. Having said this a few weeks back me and John were doing some checks and at the time he did a reading on the battery with his meter and said it was acceptable but could have been better. Maybe it was on its way out and tbh have not driven car much either and never disconnect. My own fault. Still wonder if it was pushed too far at Deal....but my engine bay got lots of attention mate :wave: :lol:

I think next step is to get a new battery this week, fit it and see how it goes. Yep I have always used vaseline Neil without issues but what Jason was saying is very interesting too especially if its exposed to sun on a very hot day and this it was on Sat !

For now I will just pick one up local with the round posts as i dont want to replace my battery cables just now. If I do decide to go with a flat post battery then will get onto Martin but as my Laser is not 100% original I wont lose any sleep over it.

Thanks again for your remarks Neil. Much appreciated
fella. Did not realise your battery packed up the day before Beaulieu !! That was the last thing you needed.

All the best

Nick
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Just in case it is of interest Nick, my voltages, posted some time ago on another thread, were -

Battery voltage with engine off is 12.1, engine running it's 14.1 and with headlights on it's 13.8

Also, I would certainly recommend this company and battery -

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51259&p=350739&hil ... ry#p350739
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Nick, I assume that the fan belt is not loose?
On your second set of readings especially I'd be thinking its the alternator.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote:Funny never new that as I have the 097 fitted to my 2.0 petrol is that still ok ?
Yes, it will still be ok.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote:Just in case it is of interest Nick, my voltages, posted some time ago on another thread, were -

Battery voltage with engine off is 12.1, engine running it's 14.1 and with headlights on it's 13.8
Cheers Paul. Your readings were def stronger than mine but I was getting readings very inconsistant. My second set of readings were much different to my first. I have finished this shift at work and have a couple of days off to look at the car. Thanks again
Peter-S wrote:Nick, I assume that the fan belt is not loose?
On your second set of readings especially I'd be thinking its the alternator.
Hi Peter, tbh I dont know what readings to believe as the second were so different to the first ! Mate I will check the fan belt and also the plug into the back of the alternator in case its worked lose. The spring clamp thingy that secures the plug ws not great so I had to adapt it a bit to make it secure. Last time I checked it was fine but tbh did not think to check it now.

Can I ask a question though please. Say my battery is completely buggered how do I test that the alternator is not working. Do I still need to get the engine started to check the readings across the battery terminals even though the battery might be dead, if this makes sense ?

All the best

Nick
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator

Post by SmokeEm »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Car-Batte ... SwHMJYNAER

Order yourself one of these for the future - cheap as chips and they allow you to keep an eye on voltage whilst you drive. Both our dailies have one.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Maybe exposing it to too much sun at Deal caused it to fail ?
Hi Nick,
Shouldn't be a problem for 364 days of the year...... :D
I don't know if the sun would affect the battery, I doubt it, to be honest. However, if you 're worried about it happening again, you can get a plastic cover for the top of the battery.
http://capriclub.co.uk/capri-accessorie ... over-large

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi guys,

Bit of an update. With a clear head I just popped down to the Capri to run through some checks again.

From cold I got a reading of 11.70 but dont know if this is just because its not charged up 100% due to issues I am having.

Engine running 11.46 but dropping to 8.69 then 7.45 after a matter of mins

Engine running headlights on 10.80 but again dropping to 8.55

So there is def a trend of readings dropping over a matter of mins ?

One thing I noticed was one of the bottom fixing bolts on the alternator was lose but did not seem to have slacken the belt as other fixings were all good, but for good measure I taughted the belt a tad more before tightening. Car still would not start without the jump and when it did it did not improve the readings at all. Still low readings far below what you guys said it should be ! In fact after turning off engine then checking the battery again one last time it had dropped to just over 8v when it was 11.70 when I first checked it ?? I am guessing I should be gettng readings of over 13v to indicate alternator is good ?

What do you guys think ? As said the belt still seemed pretty tight even with that lose bottom stud but the vibration of driving could have disturbed it but as said its now tightened and still low readings !

It always fires up with the jump starter.

All the best chaps

Nick
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

With a flat battery you should be getting up to 14v with the engine running as the alternator should be on full output to charge the battery.

I suggest you try charging your battery overnight to see if it holds a charge and then re check the voltages.

With those voltages you give I'd say there is a chance that the battery may have shorted internally and possibly knackered the alternator in the process.

Another thing worth checking is the alternator brushes. You say the ignition light comes on then goes out when the car is running. It may be, although rare, that the brushes have worn. To check, disconnect the battery and the regulator box is held on to the back of the alternator by two screws. Unscrew these and pull the regulator off and the brushes will come out as they are part of the regulator. I would guess they should be at least 10mm long to be any good and to contact the slip rings inside the alternator. Renewal means buying a new regulator which would be about £15 for a bosch alternator.
There are various types depending on what alternator you have.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-1- ... xycmBS8TEN

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARG133-ALTERN ... SwpDdU70dW

Failing that it will be a call to Martin for another alternator.

If you want to pop down to High Wycombe you are welcome to borrow my alternator to give it a go Nick.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I'm sticking with the alternator - the spark for running is draining the battery as are the other ancillaries. As Paul suggests give the battery a charge - hopefully it will hold that charge which will confirm its the alternator that's at fault unless there's a broken wire off the back of the alternator.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Thanks guys.

Yep I have removed the battery and its now on charge. Judging by the charger the battery is very low in juice ! Anyway I will charge it up then take some readings to see if its holding its charge. Guys its certainly starting to sway towards the alternator with those low readings I got earlier with engine running... nowhere near the 14v you reckon Paul. I will also check the back of alternator for any broken wires. While battery is off I will remove/clean starter motor connections too just for good measure.

Next update tomorro guys

Thanks very much

Nick

Ps. Paul thank you very much for your offer to loan your alternator mate. Very good of you but i am back to work tomorro and will be fighting with time as it is but as said many thanks. Hopefully following the great advice you guys have given me I should hopefully get to the bottom of this issue:)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Ok I charged up the battery last night and refitted then took some new readings...

13.37 engine off
12.88 engine running
12.45 engine running lights on

Alternator belt tight. Alternator connector plug/wires all ok. Even checked starter motor connections and all good.

I will now wait and check the battery tomorrow to see if its holding its charge but it certainly seems to be pointing towards the alternator now with the above readings ?

John very kindly gave me a tip last night to have a peek at the amp meter in the instrument cluster to see how it behaves with engine running then switching on the lights/rear demister. I did this and the needle dropped to halfway down the first quarter. John explained if it did this then it could well suggest the battery is in a state of draw therefore alternator not charging ?

Methinks I need to replace the alternator then see how it is afterwards as all the readings/checks are pointing to this ?

All the best chaps

Nick
pbar

Post by pbar »

You might wish to leave the battery overnight (or a couple of nights) Nick, then check it again. If it's simply not holding the charge then it must just be the battery. Mine was like that which is why I got a new one.