Handbrake cable

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Handbrake cable

Post by Paul G »

I've notice with my Laser that even with the car jacked up and the spring hanging down that the handbrake cable seems to rest on top of the spring. The car has been converted to single leaf. The cable and all linkages are free and in good condition.

I just wondered if this was correct as I would have thought that with the suspension moving up and down in use this would chafe the cable and possibly even slightly apply the handbrake. Would it be worth putting a small sleeve over the cable to stop it getting frayed?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Handbrake cable

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:I just wondered if this was correct as I would have thought that with the suspension moving up and down in use this would chafe the cable and possibly even slightly apply the handbrake. Would it be worth putting a small sleeve over the cable to stop it getting frayed?
Hi,
Wouldn't the handbrake cable move up and down with the suspension? The handbrake cable on mine isn't touching the spring, however, there is only a little clearance, maybe a few mm.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Just figured out why the problem is there - the bush in the centre of the diff is almost completely worn away. Handrake rod dancing about all over the place. New polybush being ordered!

Cheers Andrew for your reply.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:Just figured out why the problem is there - the bush in the centre of the diff is almost completely worn away. Handrake rod dancing about all over the place. New polybush being ordered!
Hi Paul,
Great, a nice easy fix. It's a shame that the poly bushes are so expensive for what they are....

Andrew.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:!
Hi Paul,
Great, a nice easy fix. It's a shame that the poly bushes are so expensive for what they are....

Andrew.[/quote]

Yes they are rather dear for what they are. Can't find a rubber one listed so going for the flow flex one at £11.95. How they justify charging an additional £4.95 for postage for a silly little bush is beyond me. I know ebay take a cut and they have to pay for the envelope and someone to label it but even so!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Paul G wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:!
Hi Paul,

Andrew.
Yes they are rather dear for what they are. Can't find a rubber one listed so going for the flow flex one at £11.95. How they justify charging an additional £4.95 for postage for a silly little bush is beyond me. I know ebay take a cut and they have to pay for the envelope and someone to label it but even so![/quote]

Some people charge ridiculous prices for shipping these days and all I can think is they're just adding a bit extra on top for themselves.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I could have supplied a supeflex one a hell of a lot cheaper than that but then I was never asked.
A17 LTF
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1 pinto, Skoda Octavia Mk1 VRS

Post by A17 LTF »

Caprigear wrote:I could have supplied a supeflex one a hell of a lot cheaper than that but then I was never asked.
You must be used to this by now...
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Caprigear wrote:I could have supplied a supeflex one a hell of a lot cheaper than that but then I was never asked.
I'll ring you on Tuesday as I hadn't finished shopping around and need a few other bits as well.

Regards Paul.