Drivers front seat , can it be sorted ?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Drivers front seat , can it be sorted ?

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi Folks , I am looking for some information about the drivers seat on a capri laser. The back part of my front seat is very loose on the left hand side at the bottom, also it is sitting squint .

I had a good look tonight and there seems to be a bar that runs along the bottom but it just seems to be loose and not attached . Does anyone know how the left hand side is fixed to the frame at the ? It looks like there should be bearing or something there because there is a round hole with a bar coming from the right hand side (seat adjuster). Has anyone come across this before? Cheers
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: Drivers front seat , can it be sorted ?

Post by Not_Anumber »

That sounds like the bar that operates the recliner and this needs to connect at both sides otherwise the bar wont be fully supported. This could be dangerous in a hard braking situation and almost inevitably would cause you back ache over time as your body automatically tries to compensate for uneven back support.

From memory the bar is held in place by something that looks like a star washer/ shake proof washer that fits tightly onto the bar and stops it sliding. Its a while since I took a Capri seat apart but certainly thats the way it is on most car seats I worked on.

You will find it much easier to work on if the seat is removed from the car. You could try someone such as Turbo Mike for advice on what type of replacement clip/washer you need.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Cheers for the reply Amber , I can see what you mean about saftey as the seat is all twisted. I am working on the car this weekend changing the front disks & pads also new handbrake cable and rear brake shoes. Once I get all that done I will pop the seat out and have a good look to see if there is anyway I can sort it out . Cheers
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Let me know what you find as I may have something better.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Ok Martin I will let you know how I get on , I sent you an e mail last night asking if you had any seats ? Or if they can be fixed . Cheers
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I'll have a look and see.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

I removed the seat today and the back metal part has snapped so I guess its gonna have to go to the skip!! Because I am no welder . Never mind though I gave Martin (caprigear) a call and he had one so it is on its way to me . I always find Martin tries his best to help out he has never let me down yet . Well chuffed thanks Martin
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

You have a PM