Running on

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Running on

Post by tejb1 »

Hi all,

Had a problem with my 1.6 running on, would appreciate any thoughts,

Very hot day today and I had a journey through stop start traffic for 45 min or so, temp gauge near the top (normally under 1/3). Stopped briefly (no issues), drove on 5 mins and when I removed the key the engine carries on running.

It had an hour to cool down and was fine afterwards.

I recently re set the timing after changing points so I'm wondering if this is the cause when combined with overheating. May knock it back slightly. I have an electric fan from a Fiesta which I am considering fitting purely for summer journeys in traffic. Living in London the latter is inescapable!

Is there anything else I should be checking?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Running on

Post by Paul G »

When you switch it off make sure you don't rev it beforehand and also make sure your idle speed isn't too high.

It shouldn't really happen on a 1.6 with the VV or single choke weber replacement as they have a fuel cut off valve on the carb which is supposed to stop this.

Also check mixture isn't too weak or plugs carboned up. Try running the car with some redex or similar for a few weeks to see if this makes a difference.

The hot running doesn't help - is your viscous coupling OK? The additional fan may help in London traffic.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: Running on

Post by Major_Tom »

Excess heat in cylinder head / combustion chambers ignites fuel mixture, which causes it to reciprocate, running the fuel pump, feeding in petrol, which ignites, etc. It can be caused by carbon on the valves / head / spark plug noses glowing red hot. Can also be caused by running lean as said. Timing being out will do it too.

But most likely to be a bit carboned up, with the carbon doing the overheating and igniting. A good thing to do in the mean time, when parking, is to do what I do, put it in gear, let the clutch out, handbrake on, and lower the revs like that before cutting off engine. You will probably find that your engine runs backwards whilst running on!

I would recommend an Italian tune up if you're sure its not running lean and the timing is not out.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.