Pinto Rocker Cover

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Pinto Rocker Cover

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all.

Can I just ask a very simple question but one I need the answer to :)

My 205 Pinto has the wider base cover like this one on ebay but it does not have the 'bracket' fixings on the top or on the side poking up beside the filler. Does anyone know what these are for please ?

Only thing I can think of is fixing points for the original black air box ??? Any info much appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332205514210

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Re: Pinto Rocker Cover

Post by SmokeEm »

I'm not 200% on this but Sierra covers didn't have them either. I think its a year thing. The later the car, the less on the rocker cover as when Ford starting injecting Pintos, there was no need for filter mounting and so they changed the design.
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

I am pretty sure that these fixing are for the pinto EFI system, never seen it an any Capri, which only leads to EFI, did they do a Transit EFI?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Just had a good look at google images for the efi pinto and it's not from one of them. They don't have the extra bracket on either the exhaust or inlet side nor the top mounting bolt. It's probably a Transit one.

My rocker cover, which is from a car only a few months older than yours, only has the plug lead clip brackets and the bracket on the top and being a 1600 it has a C shaped bracket bolted in to this which holds the heater to carb coolant pipe.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

On mine (which is a later wider cover like yours, 205 block too) on the left hand side (right if you are facing it from the front of the car) i have a plastic mounting bracket which holds the HT leads in place.
Im thinking the three on the other side would have served a similar purpose, but always crack and fall off because of the immense heat coming off the exhaust manifold hence why we never see them?
Just a wild guess, but thats what i think they are for. If they serve no purpose for the Injection Pinto, what else can they be for?
(Also that rocker cover is in immaculate condition! I'd snap that up quick before its gone as it seems too cheap!)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi, thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.
SmokeEm wrote: The later the car, the less on the rocker cover as when Ford starting injecting Pintos, there was no need for filter mounting and so they changed the design.
This sounds very good logic indeed Dave, coupled with your experience of our beloved Pinto too of course ! My one is very plain with neither of these fixings...

Image2017-05-18_08-52-27 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr
Arnoldhar wrote:I am pretty sure that these fixing are for the pinto EFI system, never seen it an any Capri, which only leads to EFI, did they do a Transit EFI?
Paul G wrote:Just had a good look at google images for the efi pinto and it's not from one of them. They don't have the extra bracket on either the exhaust or inlet side nor the top mounting bolt. It's probably a Transit one.
Hmmm, so could be a Transit then, but all the ones I seen for sale like this with these fixings do list them for Transit, Sierra, Capri so bit confusing aint it ?
Arya2.0S wrote:On mine (which is a later wider cover like yours, 205 block too) on the left hand side (right if you are facing it from the front of the car) i have a plastic mounting bracket which holds the HT leads in place.
Im thinking the three on the other side would have served a similar purpose, but always crack and fall off because of the immense heat coming off the exhaust manifold hence why we never see them?
Hi Arya, yep I have two of the three but missing one. Make the ht leads a lot tidier I think :)

Shame as it would be nice to have the third one so if anyone maybe has one lying around spare I would gladly buy it from you :) :wave:
Arya2.0S wrote:(Also that rocker cover is in immaculate condition! I'd snap that up quick before its gone as it seems too cheap!)
Yep its really nice aint it fella but don't see the point of fitting this now as those brackets are obviously for something so would look a bit 'redundant' methinks. Think I shall stick with the one I have for now.

Thanks for all your replies chaps :D

All the best now

Nick
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

As Dave suggests I'm sure they are the fixing points for older cars that had air boxes on the top of the carb so not needed with efi or K&N type filters
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
Only thing I can think of is fixing points for the original black air box ??? Any info much appreciated.
I have the original wider base cover on mine too Nick, it has fixings near the oil filler cap for the HT leads, and fixings at the other end for the air box brackets.

This pic isn't my car but you can see a nut/bolt at the rear which connects to a bracket holding the air box to the rocker cover, and the HT leads 'clip' to the top and side of the cover.

Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Peter-S wrote:As Dave suggests I'm sure they are the fixing points for older cars that had air boxes on the top of the carb so not needed with efi or K&N type filters
Cheers Peter. Does seem that way dont it . Funny thing is that most of the wide rim ones on ebay at moment all have these fixings. My Capri did indeed have an air box when I first bought it but I now recall I did buy a new rocker cover for it which I painted myself. For the life of me I cant remember what I did with the old one ?
pbar wrote:I have the original wider base cover on mine too Nick
I would expect nothing else from you Paul. I know I decided to remove mine in favour of the k+n but its still so nice to see the original set up of the Pinto just like yours is mate.
pbar wrote:This pic isn't my car but you can see a nut/bolt at the rear which connects to a bracket holding the air box to the rocker cover, and the HT leads 'clip' to the top and side of the cover.
Yes Paul I can see the fixings you mean mate. Yep I have the clamp to hold the ht leads too. Does tidy them up a trest than if there was no clamp. Still cant see the ficing on the very top of the cover in this pic but surely its a fixing for airbox too. What a stunning original Pinto engine that is Paul. Even has the original manifold. I seen your Red Laser in previous pics mate and it looks every bit as nice as this one does and no doubt just as original. Would love to see it in the flesh some time Paul :)

Thanks for your comments chaps

All the best

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Peter-S wrote:As Dave suggests I'm sure they are the fixing points for older cars that had air boxes on the top of the carb so not needed with efi or K&N type filters
Cheers Peter. Does seem that way dont it . Funny thing is that most of the wide rim ones on ebay at moment all have these fixings. My Capri did indeed have an air box when I first bought it but I now recall I did buy a new rocker cover for it which I painted myself. For the life of me I cant remember what I did with the old one ?
pbar wrote:I have the original wider base cover on mine too Nick
I would expect nothing else from you Paul and presume yours is still fitted with the original air box.. I know I decided to remove my air box in favour of the k+n but its still so nice to see the original set up of the Pinto just like yours is mate.
pbar wrote:This pic isn't my car but you can see a nut/bolt at the rear which connects to a bracket holding the air box to the rocker cover, and the HT leads 'clip' to the top and side of the cover.
Yes Paul I can see the fixings you mean mate. Yep I have the clamp to hold the ht leads too. Does tidy them up a trest than if there was no clamp. Still cant see the ficing on the very top of the cover in this pic but surely its a fixing for airbox too. What a stunning original Pinto engine that is Paul. Even has the original manifold. I seen your Red Laser in previous pics mate and it looks every bit as nice as this one does and no doubt just as original. Would love to see it in the flesh some time Paul :)

Thanks for your comments chaps

All the best

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Is that Weebob's absolutely gorgeous 2.0S in that photo?
I've drooled over the photos for long enough, I think I'd recognise it anywhere! :D

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi chaps,

Thanks to Danny at Brooklands yesterday I found out what that fixing bracket thingy is on the top of some wide rim rocker covers I had been asking about. On the Pinto 1.6 one of the coolant hoses from the bulkhead is attached to this bracket with a c-clamp as it runs over the top of the cover. On a 2.0 this hose runs over the back of the cover then up alongside it to the choke on the 32/36 Carb. As the carb on a 1.6 is different this hose runs a more direct path right over the top of the cover so it is held in position with this c-clamp attached to this fitting. Forget who told me but the air box on a 1.6 is fixed onto the top of the carb.

Nice one Danny. Your Pinto had the answer :)

All the best

Nick
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Nice one Danny. Your Pinto had the answer :)
Well at least it's good for something then! :lol: :)
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

D366Y wrote:Well at least it's good for something then! :lol: :)
Danny you got a cracking Laser fella with an amazing roar from your single pipe ! Convoying home with you was great, When you split off on the M40 and roared up the slip road...Jesus fella the M25 was vibrating !!!. You really are "The God of Thunder " :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: When you split off on the M40 and roared up the slip road...Jesus fella the M25 was vibrating !!!.
I heard him from here......... :D

Andrew.