Front wheel tracking help !

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Front wheel tracking help !

Post by caprikid61 »

My drivers side tire is wearing badly just on the outside of the tire , so I thought it would be easy enough to adjust the tow and push the wheel out . I slackend the nut on the rod that goes into the track rod end and turned the rod so that it would push the wheel out then turned the lock nut about 4 turns to tighten.

I thought that would have done the job but when I went on the test drive I noticed that there was a lot of tire screeching when cornering and braking !! So it seems I have made matters worse !

Any ideas as to where I have gone wrong ?? Cheers
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Front wheel tracking help !

Post by Caprigear »

Aside from trying to track the car by eye without using any guide or tracking equipment I assume you've not checked for worn suspension components that would cause the tracking to be out.
I must admit that this is a first for me, simply adjusting the track without any gauge or figures to go to, never encountered that one before.
What you should do is to check all of the suspension components for damage, bent anti roll bar, bent steering arm, worn bushes and then if they are all O.K get the tracking properly checked and set up.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Yeah, get it down the friendly garage ASAP and have it done properly. As Martin said, you may want to check and replace any worn bushes beforehand, but get it down the garage!

These components are adjusted in minute fractions and it can't be done by eye.

Good luck let us know how it geos.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Wise words from Martin.
You should be able to adjust the tracking enough to at least get the wheels pointing in the right direction to be able to drive to somewhere to get the tracking adjusted properly.
For reference, according to Haynes, the toe-in should be set at 0-7.0mm.

Andrew.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Set the steering wheel to dead ahead.
Look from the front, level with centre of hub, across both outer edges of each front tyre towards the rear tyres. You should see exactly the same part of the rear tyre for each side.
Beware - the front and rear track widths are different so the tyres will not align on a single plane.
Sort it so both sides are the same then test it. If it feels o.k. then you should be good to drive it to a garage for tracking.
When it's done, do the check again so you know what you're looking for. This will help to get it somewhere near true if you need to take it to bits to replace an arm or steering balljoint etc.
Daft as it seems, even undoing one joint then re-assembling it can put the tracking out, I found that out many years ago.
You will not be able to get it set yourself without some type of gauge.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi guys thats the tracking all done , went to my local tyre garage and got 2 new front tyres also got the tracking set. Lost the steering wobble so that was a bonus and she is driving straight again! You were all right not a DIY job.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Job's a good 'un!
It was clear from your first post that the tracking must have been way out, so it was best to get it sorted.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

caprikid61 wrote:Hi guys thats the tracking all done , went to my local tyre garage and got 2 new front tyres also got the tracking set. Lost the steering wobble so that was a bonus and she is driving straight again! You were all right not a DIY job.
You had a wobble too and the tracking fixed it? Hmmm, wonder if that could help my issue.