Accelerator pedal

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
imperial21
Car(s): Capri laser, mk3 Cortina xl, Super minx

Accelerator pedal

Post by imperial21 »

Since I have owned my Capri the accelerator pedal has sat too high, Originally I found that the plastic screw was missing from the pedal box, it has now been replaced but if I screw the screw in and the pedal sits at the right place the engine idle goes very high, I have adjusted the cable down as much as I can but no real improvement. The car isn't as comfortable to drive as the pedal is high, its higher than the brake pedal !
Is it possible the pedal is bent, could I bend it to give more adjustment ? Has anyone a picture of a capri accelerator pedal removed so I can compare shape ?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Accelerator pedal

Post by D366Y »

imperial21 wrote:Since I have owned my Capri the accelerator pedal has sat too high, Originally I found that the plastic screw was missing from the pedal box, it has now been replaced but if I screw the screw in and the pedal sits at the right place the engine idle goes very high, I have adjusted the cable down as much as I can but no real improvement. The car isn't as comfortable to drive as the pedal is high, its higher than the brake pedal !
Is it possible the pedal is bent, could I bend it to give more adjustment ? Has anyone a picture of a capri accelerator pedal removed so I can compare shape ?
When you moved the pedal into the right place did you adjust the mixture on your carb or adjust the idle screw?

If not it might be worth trying that as a simple fix?

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Have you got the right throttle cable on it?

Be careful bending the pedal, I put my foot under a capri one once to try and lift it up to slow a fast tickover and the pedal rod snapped.
imperial21

Post by imperial21 »

The carb can have the tick over screw backed off too nothing, and it was still very high idle if I put the pedal adjustment screw in.
I am thinking of buying another cable but it does look about right.
The car did have a twin choke weber on it which I removed but the cable wasn't right on that at all.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

That does sound odd... If the cable is tied properly on the carb and the screw isn't in at all and still revving high I think a new cable would be your best bet and see what effect it has and work from there really

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
johnd444wph
Car(s): 2.0laser 86

Post by johnd444wph »

Mine was doing the same soon got the blowtorch in there some heat shield a brick under the pedal and a foot on it to bend it down

Pedal being adjusted is like some fucker moving ya seat about in ya car or moving ya mirrors you never get it perfect :boxing:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

johnd444wph wrote:Mine was doing the same soon got the blowtorch in there some heat shield a brick under the pedal and a foot on it to bend it down
Surely you would have been better off finding out why the pedal was so high?
johnd444wph

Post by johnd444wph »

You do have a valid point

Think the cable was too short lol
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

That's proper old school that is, the cable may be a bit short so let's place a brick under the pedal and bend it :)
johnd444wph

Post by johnd444wph »

Haha lol seemed the easiest way at the time lol
imperial21

Post by imperial21 »

I have sorted it now, Ended up bending the pedal, I changed for a new cable but that was worse I am guessing the new cables are shorter than originals, I will have to keep an eye out for a ford cable.
johnd444wph

Post by johnd444wph »

:lowrider: