No front right indicator

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

No front right indicator

Post by Noel »

Front right indicator doesn't work.
Bulb ok.
All other indicator bulbs ok and working, including rear right. Left and right fine on switch. Hazard switch ok too. Flashes fast on right hand as obviously one less bulb and less current.

Tested earth to bulb holder, and all good.
Checked for connection of the live feed to the bulb holder, and by pushing a needle probe through the insulation of the black/green wire where it comes out of the connector thing next to the fuse box - I can get a good continuity test from there down to the bulb holder at the front, so the break must be somewhere between here and and flasher stuff under the dash. Most stuff seems ok as the rear lights are all ok.
I have even taken the hazard switch off and used test leads to put 12v direct to the left and right circuits via the hazard switch connector block. When you do this all bulbs light up solid, but you get no voltage to the front right at all.

Question is, the black and red multi connector things next to the fuse box - do these just pull off? This seems to be where the problem is, but don't want to mess them up as all other electrics work ok!

This is all that's keeping me a away from an MOT test now.

All help gratefully received and thanks for reading.

Noel.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: No front right indicator

Post by Paul G »

Have you tried wiggling the bulb about in the bulb holder to see if it flashes?
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Done all the bulb wiggling. Am using test leads clipped on behind the bulb holder direct to the wires so I know its not a duff bulb connection.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

"When you do this all bulbs light up solid, but you get no voltage to the front right at all." Sorry, do you mean all the other 3 bulbs light up or all 4 ?
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Getting 12 volts to the bulb & back down to earth doesn't mean that the bulb will light up even if it's a good bulb.
Busy atm trying to get the offside side-repeater to work - 12 volts there, bulb works when tested on battery, no flashing.
Lack of amps is the problem for mine. Some rewiring to do before booking an MOT.
Try cleaning all the joints / connectors etc.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Sorry yes that's right, all the other 3 bulbs light up.
If I put 12v onto the "left" output wire from the hazard switch, the front and rear left hand side indicators light up.
If I put 12v onto the "right" output wire from the hazard switch, only the rear right hand indicator lights up. No voltage is detectable on the front right when you probe the back of the bulb holder.

When I get it out again later in the week I will check the resistance down to the bulb holder. I think it must be a duff connection somewhere, that's why I was asking about the connectors next to the fuse box.
Are these just a pull-off plug? Never had to interfere with these in 20 years of ownership as touch wood never had any electrical probs until now!

Noel.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Noel wrote:Done all the bulb wiggling. Am using test leads clipped on behind the bulb holder direct to the wires so I know its not a duff bulb connection.
Noel
It's Martin ( Capri Gear) can you give me a call at the workshop reference the parts we talked about this morning. I think I copied your phone number down wrong.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

The indicator bulb holder is on a short tail around eight inches long. The male/female bullet connector is probably your first/easiest check. Roll up a postage stamp size bit of dick to clean inside the female bit...
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Postage stamp sized bit of dick Nige?!

Yes I had exactly the same problem with mine - the tester said 12v but not enough amps to illuminate Billy Bulb.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Major_Tom wrote:Postage stamp sized bit of dick Nige?!
Dick Emery (cloth), I presume.

Andrew.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Thanks for the hints everyone.

Problem with mine is that there is no plug connector between the bulb holder and the loom. It's hard soldered, and then taped up.

Someone did this some time ago when the connector got corroded up and messy.
The person got pissed off trying to clean it (dick of emery into the female bit etc...) and then cut it all off and soldered it. I remember this, because it was the younger me trying to get it working the day before I went away on holiday (with the car) and I couldn't be doing with miles of motorway without indicator working properly.
Not sure this will be it, but its easier than starting to fart round under the dash....... will try this first. Maybe Wednesday.

must say I got very tired with it yesterday (and cross) and moved on to easy stuff like cleaning the rear light lenses and fitting stainless screws to them - which is a very good thing to do by the way.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Major_Tom wrote:Postage stamp sized bit of dick Nige?!
Dick Emery (cloth), I presume.

Andrew.
Well I didn't know that about Emery cloth / paper. I did a learn.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Ooh you are awful.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Fixed this now. It was just the multiplug where the loom goes through the bulkhead.
Prized it out and sprayed switch cleaner in it. Didn't even look corroded but that was all it was.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Noel wrote:It was just the multiplug where the loom goes through the bulkhead.
That's the connector Nige was on about. Glad it's sorted.