Front antiroll bar

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Darkdestroyer
Car(s): Honda accord(daily)
Capri mk2 3.0S

Front antiroll bar

Post by Darkdestroyer »

Hi all. I'm new to the forum I'm just finishing a two rebuild on a mk2 3.0S but I've hit a problem.for the last six months the car has been at the point to be able to move around with no issues so before I booked an mot I thought I would give it a run to the end of the road an back so when I reversed on full lock the front wheel hit the lower part of the front wing where it joins the front panel and bent the wing the antiroll bar had moved across which I guess pulled the wheel forward.I have tried refitting the roll bar but the problem is still there.Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? So annoying being this close to getting it back on the road.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Front antiroll bar

Post by Paul G »

Stupid question - have you got the roll bar on the right way up?
Darkdestroyer
Capri mk2 3.0S

Post by Darkdestroyer »

Yeah I think so but I will check to make sure. would it be possible to get it upside down?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Darkdestroyer wrote:Yeah I think so but I will check to make sure. would it be possible to get it upside down?
HI,
I don't think it is. Is the front of the ARB clamped securely?

Andrew.
Darkdestroyer
Capri mk2 3.0S

Post by Darkdestroyer »

Yeah I've checked and double checked.its got all new superflex bushes fitted
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

A couple of thoughts from me- Are the ARB bushes the correct ones as there are a couple of different diameter bars. They should be a snug fit.

Are the nuts on the top of your struts on top of the inner wings in place and tightened properly.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Darkdestroyer
Capri mk2 3.0S

Post by Darkdestroyer »

Yeah they are the right bushes I measured the bar and all nuts are torqued up I even tried the bushes which were on it for the last ten years.I can't move the bar by pushing on it but with the car back on its wheels and turn the steering the bar slide across.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Seems then the roll bar is on OK with correct bushes and torqued up.

The mystery is why it is pulling the bar over. I assume the car, as it's a 3.0S, has power steering with the rack ridgidly bolted to to the crossmember and that the crossmember itself is torqued up tight.

When turning the wheel the strut/suspension should roughly just spin on an axis from the centre of the strut top mount down through the bottom swivel to the road surface. To make the roll bar pull away and the wheel not turn on this axis (ie touch the wing) something has to be wrong with either the top mount or the balljoint/TCA.

I assume you reassembled the top mount and spring seat correctly as it's difficult to get that wrong but did you fit new TCA's as well? If so did you fit new inner bushes or use the rubber ones that come pre-fitted?

Next question; - if you fitted polybush inner TCA bushes did you fit the steel sleeve that goes through them and were you supplied with the correct one that is the correct internal diameter for the bolt shoulder? Some people say the two piece poly inner bushes are crap - I've no experience of them so can't comment.

Finally, have you changed anything else from standard eg wheels, struts, springs or hubs and brakes etc.
Darkdestroyer
Capri mk2 3.0S

Post by Darkdestroyer »

Yeah I should of said it has got 2.8 front struts on which it had when I got it and never had an issue with them I'm sure I have built them back up correctly. I have put on new track control arms and fitted them with new superflex bushes the inner ones are one piece with stainless centres and have checked I did fit them it has got 7x13 Capri alloys.all power steering rack and subframe bolts are tight.the antiroll bar is the straight one not the later one with a kink in it.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

I'm running out of ideas but there must be a straightforward explanation.

All I can suggest now is lay on the floor and get someone else to turn the steering side to side and see if you can see anything moving. The only other thing is to perhaps try a 2.8 or late Laser 24mm roll bar.
Darkdestroyer
Capri mk2 3.0S

Post by Darkdestroyer »

Just a thought but which way are the track control arm outer bush washers supposed to be?I have got them dished away from the TCA.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

The washers are the correct way round.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Whereabouts are you, there might be someone on here that could have a look for you.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Peter-S wrote:Whereabouts are you, there might be someone on here that could have a look for you.
Or at least post some pictures. Some eagle-eyed expert may be able to spot something.
Darkdestroyer
Capri mk2 3.0S

Post by Darkdestroyer »

I'm in Morecambe.Am I right in thinking without the antiroll bar the TCA will move forward and back so the antirollbar is there to stop that so if there is an issue with something other than the antirollbar the antirollbar still shouldn't move?
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

The ARB is the only thing that locates the front-to-rear postion of the wheel. Side-to-side is the radius arm (track control arm,) up-and-down is the spring.
Best to get a look at an original MkII suspension set up to see what the problem is on yours. This stuff is crucial to safety & something is not right with your layout. The locating function of the arb is most important under heavy braking - when the tyres bite into the tarmac it is the arb that pulls the full weight of the car to slow it down - any malfunction would cause the wheel to rip back into the bulkhead veering the car off to one side & a write-off scenario!
Some good photos posted up on here might show us something but you need to be confident that whatever is amiss is sorted out.
Darkdestroyer
Capri mk2 3.0S

Post by Darkdestroyer »

I will get it jacked up this weekend and get some pictures.