Most effective way to clean carpet & seats? (On a budget)

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
EightyFive
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1985

Most effective way to clean carpet & seats? (On a budget)

Post by EightyFive »

Hi all,

So tomorrow I want to tackle the job of deep cleaning the capri's carpet & seats, from 30 odd years of dirt and grim the grey fabric is looking very brown. So I was wondering if any of you have any tips on the best way to remove stains and leave the carpet & seats looking like new!

I was thinking of pressure washing the seats as I have seen this being done online with good results. However it doesn't really sit right with me, surely it would just push the dirt deeper into the fabric as well as take ages to properly dry...

I have access to a steam cleaner although it isn't very good. Please bear in mind I haven't got the latest in valet gadgets so I am looking for cost effective solutions! What are your recommendations?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Most effective way to clean carpet & seats? (On a budget)

Post by Paul G »

The way I do it is to scrub them using a very soft nail brush with a mixture of water and liquid Vanish or washing machine liquid. I do a small area, about 1 square foot, at a time them suck it all out with an aquavac.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Personally, I definitely wouldn't use a pressure washer or a steam cleaner on 30 year old fabric. Whatever product you use, it might be good practise to test it on a small inconspicuous area first. Perhaps use something like this?
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cl ... mpoo-450ml

Andrew.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Paul G wrote:The way I do it is to scrub them using a very soft nail brush with a mixture of water and liquid Vanish or washing machine liquid. I do a small area, about 1 square foot, at a time them suck it all out with an aquavac.
This - plenty of elbow grease, a wet vac, and it will probably need going over a few times if it hasn't been done in years!

Also, test in an inconspicuous area first, as they say!

If you don't own a wet vac, and can't borrow one, some supermarkets rent them out. I bought one from Wickes for £40 a couple of years ago - light duty, but I only use it occasionally, and it's cheaper than renting a carpet cleaning machine each time that job needs doing.
EightyFive
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1985

Post by EightyFive »

tejb1 wrote:
This - plenty of elbow grease, a wet vac, and it will probably need going over a few times if it hasn't been done in years!

Also, test in an inconspicuous area first, as they say!

If you don't own a wet vac, and can't borrow one, some supermarkets rent them out. I bought one from Wickes for £40 a couple of years ago - light duty, but I only use it occasionally, and it's cheaper than renting a carpet cleaning machine each time that job needs doing.
Thanks, seems to be one in a screfix near me for £40. But more than I'd like to spend but I'm tired of half assing things. Will buy and post some before and afters.