What is she worth?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

What is she worth?

Post by Mr B »

Hi all,

I'm thinking of parting with my Capri, but not sure of how much I should be asking for her, all opinions/advice welcome, here is her spec:

1.6 Calypso shell condition/paint 80 out of 100
No rubber bar's had S decals fitted
2.8 front suspension
Lovely 3 litre V6 engine and excellent Type 5 box
Excellent oil pressure
New V62 Kent camshaft
Burton stage 2 cylinder heads
Rebuilt Holley 390 carburetor and appropriate manifold
Bosch dizzy
Almost new exhaust manifolds
Sportex twin system - sounds menacing
New clutch
High torque starter motor
Standard 3 litre rear axle with no issue's at all
New rear shoe's and cylinders
New track control arm's
New single leafs
Recaro interior, no rear seats though, previous owner removed them for a sound system
1 years MOT
Badly cracked dash, needs replacing :cry:

So what does everyone think?

Wayne
Last edited by Mr B on Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: What is she worth?

Post by Arya2.0S »

Would be worth more if it was factory stock unfortunately, I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

Those are some nice mods but it limits the type of buyer who would go for that stuff, like i said it would appeal to more if it was standard.

As is, maybe 4500 to 5000/5500.
Just my uneducated opinion.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi Arya

Thanks mate, totally agree with you, it is a shame she is not an original though, she really is a lovely car and I'm only thinking of parting with her to fund another project, probably get more money breaking her but I love these cars way to much to do that to her and she deserves to go to a good home

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Mr B wrote:Hi Arya

Thanks mate, totally agree with you, it is a shame she is not an original though, she really is a lovely car and I'm only thinking of parting with her to fund another project, probably get more money breaking her but I love these cars way to much to do that to her and she deserves to go to a good home

Wayne
Admirable you don't want to break it, i always cringe when i see a perfectly good car die like that. I understand if it's unsalvageable breaking makes sense in that case but otherwise it's just a waste imo.
I'm sure someone will love to own your car, if I had the money i certainly would with those mods, being a Calypso too they are quite rare i think?
Good luck! Maybe show us a picture?
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Your2 ... sort=3&o=0

First time I have done this...hope it's right!

Wayne
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Mr B wrote:http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Your2 ... sort=3&o=0

First time I have done this...hope it's right!

Wayne
Hmmm, very very nice! That literally looks like a car designed specifically for my tastes! Man I wish I was a rich arsehole! Lol.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Thanks mate, it took a lot of effort to get her in this condition - it was worth it though, I would keep her but I want to restore my dad's old 3 litre ghia and I can't have both :crying:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

It is very likely that whoever you sell it to will be thinking as much about how easy it will be to sell in a few years as they are thinking about buying something they like.

I think it would really help your sale if you could put rear seats in. You'd be surprised at how many people would be put off by the lack of them irrespective of whether they are expecting to carry passengers themselves. It might be worth a call to Martin at Capri Gear and Nial Diamond to see if they have something suitable in stock that wont break the bank.

You haven't mentioned if the shell has had the V6 specific inner wing reinforcing added as this would be a good selling point.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

The car doesn't have the extra strength parts, I did toy with the idea of fitting them and sought advice on the matter but the general consensus was that Ford only fitted them in the first place to make the cars easier to insure and on paper it looks good, I have never personally had a car fail an MOT because these parts were not fitted, so I have to question whether these parts are absolutely essential, I have never intended to pass the car off as a genuine 3 litre shell - just a clean and tidy Capri with a V6 engine installed just without the almighty price tag which genuine V6 cars are selling for these day's, I agree with your point regarding the seats, I will try to get some rear seats for her or find a buyer who enjoys listening to the V6 more than chatty passenger's! :D