Incurable wheel wobble (CURED!!)

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: Incurable wheel wobble

Post by Arya2.0S »

Major_Tom wrote:
Noel wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote: I mean, when your wife who is sitting in the passenger seat is mentioning how the vibrations are making her feel... lets just use the word "funny" in her velvet triangle region on the motorway at high speeds and her boobs are wobbling from side to side
And you are saying this is a problem?
I thought Capris did this as standard?!
I heard they were "pussy magnets" but i cant find the one in mine. I think it might be broken lol.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Arya2.0S wrote:one tiny insignificant firing of a synapses in my brain to "change" its chemical structure and make me "think" differently about something thus changing my attitude isn't gonna make the least bit of difference to it
Ah, now then, that might not be totally 100% on the mark.
There is an expanding group of forward thinkers who are open to the idea that there might be something in this 'interconnectedness' lark, that we're 'all in it together' and that what we THINK does have some bearing on what we do and what happens around us. Small things, e.g. there's more than once that at a small sports club meeting I go to I have looked at my raffle tickets, one particular number of the strip of five, and it came out a winner, last month I scanned the couple of dozen blokes in the room as the two tickets were drawn and stopped at one chap - he won. Similar thing down on the docks where we have a works lotto for the bonus ball - bit of fun but over a hundred punters stick a note in and hope. I didn't hope, I expected to make the hit, took a couple of years but odds said over forty years to get a win. On a different track, twenty years back driving my van 125 miles from home one tuesday dinnertime when I can go all day without even thinking of what's happening back in Grimsby & this lad's name came into my mind - kid from primary school I'd not seen for maybe twenty five years. Thursday, two days later back home crossing a road in town & he's walking across the road towards me :o
I've had too many similar experiences for them to be just coincidences - there's a link somewhere. Behind the scenes of 'what's put on the news' and 'what's in the papers' it is acknowledged in various highly respected circles that telepathy is the real deal. That what we think about isn't just confined within our own mind and that it can be accessed elsewhere.
If you look around, the people who are seen as being successful in life are positive thinkers - in the way they purposely make a habit of thinking about what they want in a positive mode. Look around at people you know who are always negative about things -where are they? There's a link. Maybe when out on a hot date you could nip to the gents at last orders and quickly go outside & stick an extra weight on the passenger side front wheel ;)
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

nigecapri wrote: I've had too many similar experiences for them to be just coincidences - there's a link somewhere.
I have spent many years looking for the logic and reason in my universe and I have NOT been looking for patterns or coincidences... and I have come to the same conclusion. There is more to the world than meets the eye.

I think if you look too hard for it, you can't see it. If you cast off into it and accept you will never find out... you see more. Of course, by saying that, I have undone the idea, consciously examined it, and caused it to disappear. But that seems to be the idea, don't think too much, just BE.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Arya2.0S wrote: In a sense, you are right, however based on my experience simply changing attitudes and "thinking" do absolutely nothing to change the world around us or what happens.
State of mind and perspective do change a lot though.. for instance, we are all alone, nobody truly knows how someone else views colour, for example, or really knows how you in particular feel. We are isolated.

But then... if we are all isolated and alone, we suddenly no longer are, because we can empathise with feeling isolated, and paradoxically no longer are completely isolated. We feel a bond because we understand what it feels like to be alone. I think these paradoxical methods of thought are the key to feeling healthy. I used to hate it and think I was somehow being disingenuous to myself, somehow weak minded, but the truth is that it was thinking itself, searching, finding form and reason, thinking too much, which caused the problems. Just to be, to be aware, to act, and let it pass, is where I want to be eventually.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote: velvet triangle
Is that one of the selections from a posh box of chocs? :headscratch: :)
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote: velvet triangle
Is that one of the selections from a posh box of chocs? :headscratch: :)
No one knows the secret of the Black Magic box :lol:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: No one knows the secret of the Black Magic box :lol:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote: No one knows the secret of the Black Magic box :lol:
Nice find Paul,
Damn, closing date 31st March 1983 :crying: :lol:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

That is cool.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

This is a brilliant thread.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Not_Anumber wrote:This is a brilliant thread.
From wheel wobbles to existential philosophical debates.

This derailed harder than a freight train full of nuclear fuel! :lol: :lol:

On the subject of the former point, (and this is gonna get deeper than the Mariana Trench so be warned) while I tend to agree that things are indeed linked together, from you and I on a biological or genetic level, to wild animals to the Oceans, to The Moon, to the very Star we orbit around to the vastness of space itself, there is infact a definitive link there, however, it is only at an atomic and molecular level.
Scientifically we are all made out of the same materials, atoms and molecules that permeate throughout the entire universe.
We are linked chemically and biologically right down to the very same chemical elements that make up the stars themselves (such as carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen etc).
I believe/know there is a link such as that, but as far as unproven, non-scientifically recognised, supernatural ideas such as "telepathy" or having some sort of god-like, subconscious control over space and time and the events that happen within it and atomic/sub-atomic dynamics go...... no, sorry but I cant buy into that.
More power to you if you can though, im not the sort to judge or begrudge someone of their belief system, so long as I receive the same level of respect in return. ;)

In lighter news, it was my birthday yesterday and I got some sweet LED's to go inside my angel eye rings in my Capri! I'm hoping they'll look like the new Dodge Challenger once I fit them. (seen below in case you're not familiar with the car)

I wonder if the actual Challenger lights would fit in the Capri like the BMW E34 ones do?
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

How do the angel eyes fit ? Do they consist of a ring around the outside of teh headlamp or do they fit between the reflector and the glass ?
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Not_Anumber wrote:How do the angel eyes fit ? Do they consist of a ring around the outside of teh headlamp or do they fit between the reflector and the glass ?
On mine at least (which are aftermarket Depo lights) the rings are behind the glass lens and sit around the headlights. You can access the headlights or the rings separately which allow you to change the bulbs by pulling the whole light out and undoing a couple of screws. When they are all screwed together though they are 1 self contained unit.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Arya2.0S wrote: so long as I receive the same level of respect in return.
I am just suggesting you might not be correct in believing everything is shit, and that you have it especially hard over the next man. You have a Capri for instance, so you are instantly better off than someone without a Capri in your situation. Perspective dear, perspective! :) Oh and.. happy birthday!
Last edited by Major_Tom on Thu May 04, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

On a different note, all the bioelectrical functions of the human body cannot explain human consciousness. No matter its destroyed in the universe, it just changes form. So when your outer casing ceases function and you return to the dust from whence you came, what happens to your emergent qualities? Your consciousness? The real you? If no matter is destroyed and just changes form... who is to say that does not in some fashion happen to your emergent being? There is lots of matter in the universe that cannot be measured, and lots still to discover about the nature of life itself. It is impossible to be totally certain about anything. Enjoying what we consider life to be is all that matters. I like the journey, it's great. I don't mind so much about the ending.

Back to the angel eyes, how do they actually illuminate? Is it a tube type bulb or some sort of trickery to make it seem like one?
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Major_Tom wrote:On a different note, all the bioelectrical functions of the human body cannot explain human consciousness. No matter its destroyed in the universe, it just changes form. So when your outer casing ceases function and you return to the dust from whence you came, what happens to your emergent qualities? Your consciousness? The real you? If no matter is destroyed and just changes form... who is to say that does not in some fashion happen to your emergent being? There is lots of matter in the universe that cannot be measured, and lots still to discover about the nature of life itself. It is impossible to be totally certain about anything. Enjoying what we consider life to be is all that matters. I like the journey, it's great. I don't mind so much about the ending.

Back to the angel eyes, how do they actually illuminate? Is it a tube type bulb or some sort of trickery to make it seem like one?
Thats one thing science has yet to answer thats true, but if we're stripping down how we function as conscious beings and talking strictly about atomic particles or energised particles and matter, then our consciousness isn't made of matter, its simply an organic structure with brain synapses firing within it that are capable of perceiving the world around it based on its relatively limited range of senses (sight, smell, sound), whatever that reality may be.
They said it best in the 1999 movie "The Matrix": "What is real? How do you define "real"? If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain."
Makes you think a bit huh?
What happens to our consciousness after its energy source "runs out" is totally unknown at this stage.
Then theres the old problem of if we are only perceiving reality, how can we tell if its even "real" to begin with like I mentioned above? But thats another debate for another time.

As for the angel eyes, again i can only speak for the ones i have but they consist of four bulbs per ring and the glass on the inside reflects the light around it so that it appears to be a consistent ring of light.

I think more modern high end lights go for a full ring of LED's, or a ring made out of one big LED rather than relying on the light to be reflected by the glass inside which is how I think the Challenger and more modern BMW ones work.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Arya2.0S wrote:Thats one thing science has yet to answer thats true, but if we're stripping down how we function as conscious beings and talking strictly about atomic particles or energised particles and matter, then our consciousness isn't made of matter, its simply an organic structure with brain synapses firing within it that are capable of perceiving the world around it based on its relatively limited range of senses (sight, smell, sound), whatever that reality may be.
Ah, yes, but that's exactly what I mean. You aren't determined by what you sense, your idea of self isn't defined by what you see, feel or smell. Your self, your higher consciousness, your soul, whatever we call it, is some extra emergent quality that all the various atoms and particles and functions of our brains can't explain. Where does it come from? Where does it go?

Food for thought indeed.

As you rightly say, we don't know at this stage.
nigecapri

Post by nigecapri »

I started to learn karate thirty years back but a change of job got in the way. A good few years later I used to go to weekly tai-chi sessions. All good exercise & very relaxing stuff. The instructor used to go on about feeling the energy. I used to think "yes, fish & chips for tea, plenty of energy here." He was on about a different type of energy - chi energy.
Something they don't teach us in school here that I learnt around ten years back at one of the tai-chi sessions is that we are not just an organic shell with a conscious brain at the helm. We do have the capability to nurture and build a field of energy within and without the physical surface barrier of our skin. I didn't learn it from being told it by a teacher, I learnt it from personal direct experience. I have also experienced it demonstrated in various forms. I expect it is possible for anyone to become aware of it if they are prepared to make the effort.

Onto Capri wobbles, Rims are 7 inch, tyres are 205 60 13. I but some extra wind in my fronts earlier today to see if I could reduce the speed-wobble. It's been parked up for months & I had put 40psi in all four to try to reduce a flat patch forming. Over time they had all gone down to around 20psi which wouldn't have helped my plans. Shakes are around 65mph. A newish refurbed rack is on the car but I had to re-shim the rack top plate after fitting it due to it not being refurbed properly. Today, after pumping the fronts up I also re-shimmed the rack's pinion end plate. I took her for a 15 mile spin, shakes were still there but they were reduced a bit by the tightened rack. On the way home the shakes had reduced slightly more. I'm hoping that the 38psi and the 15 miles has reduced the flat patch on each front tyre. I did mark them before the run & will check them again for roundness tomorrow & take her for another run.
Radius arms are low mileage, struts are sound, shocks are low mileage. Inner bushes are poly with reduced length stainless crush tubes. The goal is to get her running smoothly for the next planned long run down to CRaP in july.
:drive:
nigecapri

Post by nigecapri »

There was a flat patch this morning but in a different position than yesterday.
Definitely less shake at 38psi. It shows a bit at either side of 66mph but much less than previous amount. Windygun is on it's last legs now so away to Halfords for a branny. I'll stick 50psi in it for a few days while I'm at work, also lift the fronts off the ground.
Perhaps it's just a combination of high 70 profile rubber on wider tread with a tiny amount of wheel bearing play plus a tiny amount of steering rack and column play plus a tiny amount of strut top mount play plus a tiny amount of lower balljoint & inner tca and arb wear?
Beware if you try this and run your car at more than a couple of pounds above book specs that you will have a much smaller contact patch between tyre and tarmac so the brakes will lock up easily.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Dont ever buy alloy wheels and tires for them, especially if they are a different size to your car's original ones. Nothing but hassle and will make you haemorrhage money.