Quieten down a Sportex exhaust ?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Quieten down a Sportex exhaust ?

Post by Not_Anumber »

The PO put a new Sportex exhaust on my 2.8i not long before I bought it. Frankly the exhaust is a bit too noisy for me and though I know its an non baffled system I cant help thinking the 3" tailpipes each side are responsible for much of the sound.

I know someone who put an internal sleeve into an oversized tailpipe which made a vast difference to the level of noise. Im wondering if this would be a useable fix or whether I should just grasp the nettle and buy a standard exhaust system and try to resell the Sportex one ?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Quieten down a Sportex exhaust ?

Post by D366Y »

Not_Anumber wrote:I cant help thinking the 3" tailpipes each side are responsible for much of the sound.
Having owned both a 2" and 3" sportex kit this is almost certainly why it's so loud :lol:

You can buy from the downpipe back so could fit 2" exits with silencers instead which will reduce the noise levels, think CCI should still do them as well so if you're a member works out cheaper with the discount to go through them
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote:You can buy from the downpipe back so could fit 2" exits with silencers instead
You can indeed, although the cheapest I've found is £234.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-2- ... EACO7C27Tg

It's interesting that the description states that "All Sportex tailboxes and systems are now made on state on the art CNC bending machines so you can be sure of a perfect fit every time". Does this mean the end of the age-old problem of Sportex exhausts knocking on the leaf springs?

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Tickover also do standard rear boxes and full systems http://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/d83.html

My Sportex was 2" and wasn't overly loud, just right really......
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Many thanks guys. I will look out for changing to 2" rear boxes.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Not_Anumber wrote:Many thanks guys. I will look out for changing to 2" rear boxes.
You don't have to go from the downpipe back, you can just get the end muffler if people sell those separately rather than the whole kit? Everything is the same anyway apart from the exit
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: you can just get the end muffler if people sell those separately
I searched, but couldn't find anybody who sells the tailpipes separately, unfortunately.

Andrew.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks for looking Andrew.

I was wondering if a pair of these might help http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262446244139? ... Tags=bu=bu
andyd

Post by andyd »

Not_Anumber wrote:Thanks for looking Andrew.

I was wondering if a pair of these might help http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262446244139? ... Tags=bu=bu
Could be worth a try at around £40 a a pair...... :goodluck:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

Tickover got back to me today to say the only way they managed to quieten down one of these was to cut the pipes near the front to fit a pair of extra front silencers.

In the meantime someone is selling a good 2nd hand standard exhaust on Ebay for £ 100 which just needs clamps and hangers. Wondering now if that might be the simplest way to go.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Not_Anumber wrote:Tickover got back to me today to say the only way they managed to quieten down one of these was to cut the pipes near the front to fit a pair of extra front silencers.

In the meantime someone is selling a good 2nd hand standard exhaust on Ebay for £ 100 which just needs clamps and hangers. Wondering now if that might be the simplest way to go.
I saw that £100 system earlier and maybe it's the easier option, unless you buy a brand new standard system....
Janspeed are the best system for the V6 Capri, but not cheap.

If you prefer a quiet system then you should have one :D

:goodluck:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Not_Anumber wrote:I was wondering if a pair of these might help http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262446244139? ... Tags=bu=bu
Interesting, I've never seen any of those before. I wonder if the noise of the exhaust will be accompanied by a reduction in power?

I agree that the best course of action for your needs would be to sell the Sportex and buy a standard system.

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

The PO got you a new exhaust?

The Post Office?

How do I get one?!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

I managed to find a good original exhaust 2nd hand, the centre and rear pipes and boxes from one seller and the front pipes with kidney boxes from another.
I need to get the car off the ground son to change the rear springs so will swap over the exhaust at the same time.