Silicone CV boots

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Silicone CV boots

Post by Paul G »

I just wondered if any of you had used these before and if they last longer than the crappy rubber ones that seem to be about these days.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Universal- ... SwTglYmb9O

Had my Octavia VRS Mot'd yesterday and although it passed my tester pointed out that one of the CV boots was badly perished and had a pin hole in it. He let me have the ticket but said get it done. The offending boot was only fitted last October and I know I fitted it correctly having done literally hundreds of them over the years. It was a universal rubber (not a glue together horror!) one as the original VW/Skoda ones are made of a hard plastic and unless you have the correct crimping tool they leak and can come off the CV joint.

Before I spend a packet buying an OE one and the tool, just wondered what people's opinion was on a silicone one. I know a lot of you use silicone coolant hoses: are they any better?

Sorry this isn't a capri related topic - but it is a capri owner related one!!!!!!!