2.8 battery

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Pageyboy
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8 special (restoration project)

2.8 battery

Post by Pageyboy »

Hello again guys. Today I am wondering if anybody thinks that a battery not giving out enough amps could cause a 2.8 not to run properly ?? Problem is when my car was in garage it come back with a much smaller battery. The car in question drove for about 200 mile ok but has since developed a Miss like its struggling to get enough fuel. I have done valves replaced most of electrical system and most of the fuel system hence why I am now thinking possibly the battery not strong enough to power the pump and keep a high pressure working but not on full juice if that makes sense ?? It seems to tickover ok at 2 thousand revs but drop the revs to 850 and it stutters and cuts out. It does drive but you really need to give it throttle as it just doesn't want to go slow and even putting foot down it basically misses then bursts into life. Once again cheers for any input
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 2.8 battery

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

HI,
I can't see the problem being caused by the battery. If you think that the fuel pump is not delivering enough fuel, have you conducted a flow test on it?

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Pageyboy wrote: Problem is when my car was in garage it come back with a much smaller battery.
Hi,
By the way, the correct battery for the 2.8 is an 097. If the one you have fitted has that code on it, it will be good enough for the job as long as it is in good condition.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

2k on tickover is a little high isn't it?
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

2k for Tickover is way too fast!

750-850 more like.

Unlikely to be the battery based on what you describe.

I'd start with the simple things first. Is the timing correct?

Olly W