Preparing for a long trip

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Preparing for a long trip

Post by tejb1 »

Later this month I'm planning on doing a trip to Scotland, which is quite a journey. I'm keen to make sure that the Capri is in as good a condition as possible for it, for obvious reasons! In the last few weeks it's had a new set of points, HT leads, dissy cap, rotor arm, battery checked and cleaned, recent oil and coolant change, new fanbelt and cambelt. It's a 1.6 Pinto - is there anything else I should be thinking about checking? Generally, it has run fine in the time I've had it, any issues easily resolved normally thanks to this forum or the Haynes book! Will be taking a set of common bits and pieces and some tools with me, just in case...
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Preparing for a long trip

Post by Peter-S »

Check all the coolant hoses and perhaps have a spare rad cap with you.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Post by caprikid61 »

If it was me I would make sure I had spare points condensor rotar arm as they were always the parts that failed on my 2 litre laser . I have found however that since I fitted electronic ignition the capri is much much more reliable never had any issues in over 2 years since I changed over .

So it might be an idea to change over as its so easy to do and might save you some hassle , also I always try and carry some spare hoses and a thermostat as they are light and dont use up much space.

Which part of Scotland are you going to ?? I am in Fife.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I carry a 5 litre can of water, some screen wash and a litre of engine oil for top ups. Other than that it's an RAC card!

To be honest, in the Capri on a long trip I would carry a few basic spanners and screwdrivers, a hose repair tape kit and a spare fan belt. Points condensor and feeler guage will be carried at all times.
tejb1
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Cheers guys. Hadn't thought about hose - will check them and take suitable repair stuff.
I always keep in the boot a few basics like points/condenser, fan belt, fuses, bits of wire, cable ties, and a set of spanners, screwdrivers, pliers etc. Top up bottle of screenwash can't hurt. Always keep a few bottles of water in case of breakdown for either me or the car!
Have just put a new set of points in, may change out the condenser too for good measure.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

Make sure to double check your spare tyre and side jack, my side jack recently broke and nearly gouged my drivers side door as well as letting the car fall to the floor, not good and even worse if your miles from home

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mr B wrote:Make sure to double check your spare tyre and side jack
Better still, ditch the original and take a trolley jack.....

Andrew.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi Andrew,

Totally agree with you, I normally use a trolley jack but i was at the front of my house and the jack was in the back garden, that few minutes of laziness nearly cost me a few quid, lesson learned

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
tejb1
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Mr B wrote:Hi mate,

Make sure to double check your spare tyre and side jack, my side jack recently broke and nearly gouged my drivers side door as well as letting the car fall to the floor, not good and even worse if your miles from home

Wayne
Good point, and Andrew's subsequent post... will stick the trolley jack in the back. Extra weight, but it might just come in handy! I have to admit I've never even tried to use the supplied jack.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

A different jack is a good idea, trolley jacks are heavy to carry around all the time and can be cumbersome in a tight spot though. I bought a scissor jack and carry a small block of wood with it, lifts the car up under the chassis rails very easily no matter where the car is.

You might want to consider some basic, but often forgotten stuff like -

Torch (wind up one, battery torches don't last two minutes left in a cold car)
Towel for mucky hands
Foam pad for kneeling on
Pencil and paper (surprisingly comes in handy a lot!)
As mentioned already, small tool kit with common spanners, screwdrivers, knife, scissors, etc.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

I would suggest you fill the tank with petrol. That's all I've done in the past, if she's been running well then I used to pack everything in & go. Nae problem :D