Exhaust valves 2.8

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Pageyboy
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8 special (restoration project)

Exhaust valves 2.8

Post by Pageyboy »

Hi guys stupid question but I am finally braving it and going to try do my exhaust valves on my 2.8 capri. I have today stripped out radiator and header tank and can now get the rocker covers off. Question is and it is a silly 1 but is it possible to turn engine over with the fan still in place and if yes can you tell me how. ?? Many thanks and excuse me I'm not the best at mechanical stuff but need to get this done.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Exhaust valves 2.8

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
It will be possible to turn the engine using a socket on the crankshaft pulley nut.
Make sure the car isn't in gear, if it is, turning the engine using this method will not be possible.

Andrew.
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Sorry for being thick but the crankshaft pully nut is ??
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Ok so the pully with both belts attached ?? Socket onto the middle of it and turn clockwise ? That should be easier than taking fan off.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Pageyboy wrote:Ok so the pully with both belts attached ?? Socket onto the middle of it and turn clockwise
Hi,
Yes, the bottom pulley with both belts attached. As you say, put a socket on (can't remember the size, maybe 19mm or so?) and turn clockwise. You should have plenty of space with the radiator removed.
:goodluck:

Andrew.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi

You could also remove the spark plugs as this will stop the engine from building up compression making it much easier to turn over by hand

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Hi guys well that's the valves done Cheers for help wish I had known about spark plugs as it was definitely making some compression when turning by hand but all worked out and they weren't as bad as I was expecting to be honest. Now the isssue I have is when I line up timming mark to 0 my rotor arm points to cylinder number 4 any ideas ??
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

Rotate the engine over another 360° and then check where the rotor arm is pointing, hopefully should be pointing to No1

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Ye I have had it round a good few times 1 full turn on camshaft pulley points the rotar arm to the bulkhead and another 360 points it to cylinder no 4. I'm probably missing something simple but the car was running good but only for 200 mile then it developed a terrible miss once it has been running for 5 minutes it will start and run ok for 5 min but once it develops the Miss it only runs for 1 min or so then you need to stop it and start it again and just won't run right. I thought it might be exhaust valves but seeing the rotor arm pointing to cylinder 4 I'm now thinking it could be this that's causing it to miss fire
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Just had a quick look in the manual and for No1 cylinder the rotor arm should be pointing directly towards the bulk head, if you haven't removed the dizzy then all should be as it is was, as for the misfire it could be a number of things, HT leads, spark plugs, ignition coil etc, start with the simplest/cheapest stuff first

Wayne
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Owe well that would explain why it was pointing to bulkhead lol I thought it was supposed to point to number 1 cylinder. Awe well back to it it tomorrow get it built back up. I have changed leads spark plugs coil dura spark box distributor cap rotar arm.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Excuse a silly question....but what have you actually done to the exhaust valves?
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Hi I was adjusting exhaust valves to 40mm exhaust and 35mm inlet. I did it according to manual rocking 1 adjust 5 rocking 2 adjust 6 but when I tried to get the rotor arm to point to cylinder 1 I started messing about with things I shouldn't i.e the dizzy and now I'm just going to adjust it all up properly while I can still turn engine with socket. Basically making work for myself but on the plus side if I do it myself i no it's been done and hopefully properly. Problem is I paid somebody to do it before and now it's not running properly so I don't no what has been done and what hasn't. Basically if I want to keep owning a capri i need to learn how to fix it myself ha ha
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

When it says rotor arm pointing to No1 you do know it means the rotor arm should be pointing to the segment in the dizzy cap that the HT lead from No1 cylinder goes to and not physically pointing to No1 cylinder in the engine block, I only ask because it's a mistake I made a long time ago, just like you I've had to learn how fix them myself and there is no such thing as a silly question if one genuinely doesn't know the answer

Wayne
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Hi Wayne Yes that's excalty what I thought but I now realise how wrong I was thank the lord lol I even tried turning the dizzy round but this is why I have gave myself more work as I now need to set this back up again but I have a good idea what I need to do now. I was the same when I tried to do valves I thought u had to loosen them off make the gap and tighten up so there was no play but I soon worked that out and realised u just tighten or loosen to the exact gap and they all should have play as this is the gap ha ha. Got there in the end after setting them at least 4 times I got them all spot on hopefully. Sounds daft but i am now confident I could do it again without any trouble and in double quick time. Thanks for advice
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Your welcome mate, confidence comes from experience, I only work on the Essex V6 now although I have had/worked on a few 2.8 injections in the past and at first they can seem pretty daunting with all the extra pipe work but not having the money to pay someone else to do it is the best incentive to learn and learn quickly :goodluck:

Wayne
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Hi just to let everyone no I put it all back together today and it started up no probs. Still got a issue but that's for another day. Tappets some amazing no knocking what so ever. Once again thank for for all the useful advice