Can anyone identify what's wrong with my rear wheel bearings? (Pics inside)

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Can anyone identify what's wrong with my rear wheel bearings? (Pics inside)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Once the old bearings were removed, fitting the new bearings onto the shaft was an quick job, and is easily achieved by a DIY mechanic.
You may wish to fit the new bearings yourself instead of paying somebody else to do it.

Andrew.
EightyFive
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1985

Re: Can anyone identify what's wrong with my rear wheel bearings? (Pics inside)

Post by EightyFive »

Peter-S wrote:
EightyFive wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
I think you can safely say you've found the source of the oil leak right there!

When I changed my wheel bearing a few years ago, I hammered the new bearing on. Not a dribble of oil since. As long as your mechanic is careful not to damage the bearing or it's oil seal, it should be OK.

Andrew.
It doesn't explain the leak on the other side though, that shaft was relatively unscathed which is why I think the bearings were also naff.
How do you mean 'relatively unscathed', any damage can let oil by.

Like Andrew I've hammered new bearings on. I've found that a length of scaffold pole slots over the shaft and does the job nicely :)
There was a tiny nick in the other shaft about 1/3 of the way into where the retainer collar sits. Both me and my mechanic thought that due to the location and size of it, it wouldnt have caused the leak. There is also congealed oil around the seal itself on the other side. The seal was either damaged or naff to some degree!

Tbh I'm a bit wary of doing this job myself, if I ruin these shafts then I really am screwed!