Speedometer drive cable

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
AndyPandy56
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (1985)

Speedometer drive cable

Post by AndyPandy56 »

Hello everyone.

I own a 1985 1.6 Laser. My garage informs me that I need a new speedo drive cable, since my speedo needle is not steady when driving, and tends to 'flicker' up and down !. Can anybody please advise me if new replacements are available, and where is the best place to purchase one ?. (approx. cost would be good too)

Many thanks.

Andy
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Speedometer drive cable

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

AndyPandy56 wrote: Can anybody please advise me if new replacements are available, and where is the best place to purchase one ?.
Hi,
Replacement cables are readily available from a variety of sources.
Try Martin at Caprigear. I'm not sure how much he will charge, but for comparison, Tickover charge £19.75+ VAT
http://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/contents ... p1685.html
CCI charge £18.00 if you're a member of the club.
http://capriclub.co.uk/speedo-cable?search=cable
They are £12.62 at Burton.
http://www.burtonpower.com/speedo-cable ... s2014.html
You might find a cheaper one on Ebay, but can you trust the seller to send the correct part? :)

Andrew.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: Speedometer drive cable

Post by Arya2.0S »

Be careful with these. Some will not fit even though they claim to be for the right car.

The issue is the sleeved end that attaches to the gearbox, mainly the flat round bit on the end. If this is too thick it simply wont fit, as there wont be enough room in the housing on the gearbox for it and the cir-clip. (at least it didn't fit on my standard 5-speed box, since yours is a 1.6 i assume its only a 4-speed so not sure if the housing is the same?)

If you look at the CCI and Tickover ones it has the end which is too thick, compare that to the Burton photo and you'll see the bit on the end im taking about is much thinner (whether or not you receive this exact item in the photo is another story entirely)
That is the one you need, the thicker one simply will not fit!

I had this issue myself.
I bought a speedo cable that claimed to be the correct part and due to the extra thickness on the end it simply would not fit onto the gearbox, not if i wanted the cir-clip to hold it on properly that is.

Ended up wasting my money (and not needing the cable anyway as the issue i was having wasn't related to the cable) because by the time we went to fit it the returns period had expired, so be careful.

Not everyone seems to actually know how to make these cables properly, or realise the discrepancies in the thickness of the end can cause issues.