Insurance valuation

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Fiona
Car(s): 2.0 Laser, daily driver.

Insurance valuation

Post by Fiona »

I'm needing some advice re valuing my car before my insurance renewal time comes around. I see all sorts of prices nowadays so haven't a clue what my cars actually worth, can any of you give me your opinion please?. My car is an A reg 1984 2.0 Laser, first registered on 28th June '84 which as you guys no doubt know was the very first month of Laser production. It's now done 61,000 genuine miles (as of 3pm today :D ), I've had it on the road for 10yrs now with no advisory notices at any of its MOT's , its had no welding done to date, got all its original panels, interior, engine etc etc. Its certainly not minted but it's in pretty good condition & I would appreciate your opinion as i cant seem to find any other A reg ones to get a comparison value from. Thanks, Fiona x
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Re: Insurance valuation

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Have a look on here, might give you an idea

https://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/classiccarvalue
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Fiona,

Yep, that Hagerty price guide gives you a very useful indication indeed of what value you should put on your Laser for Insurance purposes. I am in the process of renewing/changing mine at the moment and want to get an agreed value in place, but its very hard to put a "value" on your own classic as I know to me mine is priceless after all the work I done on it. Nothing can replace that. Values of Capri's have certainly been on the move over the last couple of years with the popularity of 80's classics, so don't undervalue yours even though its not one of the 'high performance' models a lot of buyers are very keen to acquire at the moment, hence pushing up their values a lot more at a faster rate.

Without seeing any pics of your Laser Fiona but by going along with your description, you need to be insuring it anywhere between £6-£8k as to replace it like for like in todays markets that is a very realistic price you might expect to have to pay for a very decent Laser, especially one as original as yours with not so many miles on the clock at all for its age. Add the fact that yours is an A reg too and you don't see many of them then definitely not a penny less. Whether or not you could demand a higher value based on this I don't know as you say there are not really many A reg Lasers around to compare with but surely B,C and D reg would demand an identical value in similar condition. Obviously if you can get an even higher value agreed then even better, unless they want to hike up the premium to suit !

I been deliberating on mine recently and am going to value mine for insurance purposes at probably £7-8k. But its only a figure. B112 AAT means a hell of a lot more to me and the bond I have with it would be irreplaceable !

Good Luck with getting it all sorted. Its one of those things that need to be done but you hope you will never ever have to enforce.

All the best Fiona,

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

Thanks guys, much appreciated x
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Go for £8000 at least, as originality and low mileage is key :)

:goodluck:

Andy
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Hadn't seen this before, what an excellent tool & realistic prices. I guessed the value of mine, which comes up as 'good' on this estimate which is where I think I'm at at moment. Will refer to this next time it's due. Cheers.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Fiona,
I agree with the others that around £8000 should be a realistic insurance valuation, if the car is as good as you describe.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Hmm, just used that tool...i seem to need to get mine re-evaluated for more! Bloody hell, didnt know prices had shot up that much in just a couple of years!
pauliil1948
Donator
Donator
Car(s): D reg 280 , various others

Post by pauliil1948 »

Hi guys I've seen this car it is as nice and original as they come and a rare a reg ,and the owner is a nice lady, hi Fiona,
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

Aaahh thanks Paul, I'm due you a pint for saying all those nice things :cheers: . I've only just joined here and must admit to being glad i asked about my cars potential replacement value - turns out that at the moment it sounds like I'm grossly underinsured, eek!!!!!