Big insurance problems

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 6970
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Big insurance problems

Postby Major_Tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:33 am

..nobody will insure me anymore as I don't have a second car. Any suggestions?

Tried Adrian Flux, Lancaster, A-Plan... nobody.
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

User avatar
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:40 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi
Location: Enfield, London

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby Fordoholic Nick » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:51 am

Hi Tom, Have you tried 'Performance Direct' mate ?
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 6970
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby Major_Tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:54 am

Just trying Sky Insurance now.

Will call that one next, thanks Nick.
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 6970
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby Major_Tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:11 am

Looks like Sky Insurance will do it.

Oh, no, they wont. Declined, again. They wont give a reason.

Starting to think its because of my mental health issues I've had to declare. Thoughts on this?

Wil try performance direct..
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 6970
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby Major_Tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:15 am

Performance Direct can't do anything about it till Monday.. will try them then.
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 9825
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:37 am

Major_Tom wrote:..nobody will insure me anymore as I don't have a second car. Any suggestions?

Tried Adrian Flux, Lancaster, A-Plan... nobody.

Hi,
Sorry to hear of your insurance troubles. No doubt you can easily obtain insurance, it's just a case of trying to get cover at a reasonable cost.
As well as checking online, you could also try a local insurance broker. If your situation is complicated, it might be easier to pop in and talk face to face with a real person.
Apparently, due to consistently rising premiums, the average UK car insurance premium is now £767 per year.

Good luck, I hope you get something sorted out.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 6970
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby Major_Tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:45 am

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Sorry to hear of your insurance troubles. No doubt you can easily obtain insurance, it's just a case of trying to get cover at a reasonable cost.


No. I get a quote, then they leave me on hold, then come back and say "sorry, we can't" and don't give me a reason.

Something dodgy is going on here.

Will try a local company and the face to face method I think.

What's most annoying is that the biggest menaces on the road aren't some guy with some mental health issues (which don't affect my driving but I have to declare them anyway) and a modified car, its the Honda Jazz driver doddering around on the wrong side of the road on the motorway or forgetting where the brake is, or with no reactions left. They get insured no problem. For a couple of hudred quid. Fucking takes the piss. Can't even think about it, getting really angry.

Just waiting for my fine through the post now because I can't insure it. Going to low-loader the fucking thing to my girlfriends and SORN it I thiink.
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1893
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:09 am
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing
Contact:

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby SmokeEm » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:55 pm

Call Clare at A Plan in Thatcham. If she is busy, ask them to get her to call you back. Don't ring any depot, it has to be Thatcham as they specialise in modded classics. When you speak to her, tell her SmokeEm from oldskoolford told you to call. I'm sure she will sort you out mate

User avatar
Arya2.0S
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:23 pm
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby Arya2.0S » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Have you tried Admiral? This sort of shit needs to be outlawed as its basically discrimination towards the disabled!
And yeah you're right, the fuckboy neural typicals with no skill who think the roads are their personal race tracks (BMW and Audi drivers) get insured no problem, so does the stupid old twat who cant tell which way to drive down a motorway or how to treat a roundabout, yet some poor sod with a bit of a mental health issue cant? Just because you have mental health issues doesn't mean your mentally incompetent! :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:

fearthecat
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:24 pm
Car(s): 4x Ford Capri Ghia

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby fearthecat » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:45 pm

The Data Protection Act of 1988 entitles you to ask why and have an honest answer supplied to you. If there is any kind of note on your records they MUST tell you this when asked by you to do so. If that note is inaccurate, incorrect, out-dated or irrelevant... your records must be corrected (you may have to send evidence, but they are duty bound to update records once that evidence is received)

01mpope
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:25 am
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 2.0 laser 1985
Ford capri mk1 1600gt 1969

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby 01mpope » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Footman James. Amazingly cheap if it's a classic
:ford: :burnout: :ford:

tejb1
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:12 pm
Car(s): none yet

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby tejb1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:19 pm

01mpope wrote:Footman James. Amazingly cheap if it's a classic


Seconded - they were happy to insure me on a classic policy without my having another car.

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 9825
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:01 pm

tejb1 wrote:Seconded - they were happy to insure me on a classic policy without my having another car.

That's interesting, I always thought that owning another car was a requirement for insuring on a classic car policy. Obviously not.

Andrew.
Image

tejb1
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:12 pm
Car(s): none yet

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby tejb1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:05 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
tejb1 wrote:Seconded - they were happy to insure me on a classic policy without my having another car.

That's interesting, I always thought that owning another car was a requirement for insuring on a classic car policy. Obviously not.

Andrew.


I was under the same impression but I believe it varies between insurers. I phoned up specifically to check this point and it is not a condition of their policy. FJ gave a very good deal for me, although I am well aware that a) insurers can wildly change year to year, b) you never really know what they're like until you need to claim, c) never be loyal to an insurer!

Whilst the Capri is my only car, it gets used in the same manner as a second car would be for many people as I use public transport on a day to day basis. That said, I am also actually covered for driving to and from work, which I do a couple of times a month on a weekend shift.

User avatar
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:40 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi
Location: Enfield, London

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby Fordoholic Nick » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:12 am

01mpope wrote:Footman James. Amazingly cheap if it's a classic


Hi mate,

Never tried Footman James for a quote before but as my insurance is due in a few weeks and I have just received my renewal I thought I would give them a go after hearing what you said . My renewal from my existing insurers is £133.50 comprehensive. Footman James have just quoted me £84.44 including all the little mods I done to car AND having no alarm system fitted at the moment too ! This is a great price !

I have limited myself to 2000 miles which is plenty for me, and put a value of £7000. I will probably have to get this value confirmed but thought I would start off high :lol:

What really pisses me off though is that my existing insurers actual renewal is £93.50 which aint too bad really, but they want to charge me £40 renewal fee !!! So they are charging me almost 50% on top for me to keep quiet and show my loyalty to them for yet another year....jut looked in the mirror and seen "mugged off" on my forehead ! Sorry chaps but this really does annoy me. The price to stay loyal is almost 50% of my premium, just for them update my renewal details and post a new certificate to me. I am happy to pay the postage but NOT £40 ! Yep, no doubt "FJ" might have a renewal charge themselves when the time arises...don't know yet...but if its anywhere near the same then next year I will just move onto someone else, maybe even return to my existing insurer as a 'new' customer without the "loyalty tax" :lol:

Methinks a phone call to my existing insurer on Monday morning ! If they don't want to reduce then I will go with Footman James !

Thanks for the recommendation by the way. I had actually just gone onto a comparison site earlier and this Footman James quote I did direct with them is better than the ones on comparison site !

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...

stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3679
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby stevemarl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:01 am

Arya2.0S wrote:l who think the roads are their personal race tracks (BMW and Audi drivers) get insured no problem,


I suspect mostly company car drivers, so presumably they`ll have some kind of `block` policy so any cretin will be covered. Also why they don`t give a shit about the cars.

Ironically, re. mental health issues, if you have `issues` which render you unable to use public transport (cos you have anger issues & attack people) you can qualify for motability; should you be unable to learn to drive yourself, motability will cover your 18 year old girlfriend (on a provisional) while she learns to drive the free new car they`ll give you. (Quotes for a learner of that age in this area run to several grand.)
If however you *just* suffer from depression/ OCD/ anxiety (so you can`t leave the house) you`ll basically be told to fuck off out and get a job. PIP? Joke.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3724
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby andyd » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:29 am

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
01mpope wrote:Footman James. Amazingly cheap if it's a classic


Hi mate,

Never tried Footman James for a quote before but as my insurance is due in a few weeks and I have just received my renewal I thought I would give them a go after hearing what you said . My renewal from my existing insurers is £133.50 comprehensive. Footman James have just quoted me £84.44 including all the little mods I done to car AND having no alarm system fitted at the moment too ! This is a great price !

I have limited myself to 2000 miles which is plenty for me, and put a value of £7000. I will probably have to get this value confirmed but thought I would start off high :lol:

What really pisses me off though is that my existing insurers actual renewal is £93.50 which aint too bad really, but they want to charge me £40 renewal fee !!! So they are charging me almost 50% on top for me to keep quiet and show my loyalty to them for yet another year....jut looked in the mirror and seen "mugged off" on my forehead ! Sorry chaps but this really does annoy me. The price to stay loyal is almost 50% of my premium, just for them update my renewal details and post a new certificate to me. I am happy to pay the postage but NOT £40 ! Yep, no doubt "FJ" might have a renewal charge themselves when the time arises...don't know yet...but if its anywhere near the same then next year I will just move onto someone else, maybe even return to my existing insurer as a 'new' customer without the "loyalty tax" :lol:

Methinks a phone call to my existing insurer on Monday morning ! If they don't want to reduce then I will go with Footman James !

Thanks for the recommendation by the way. I had actually just gone onto a comparison site earlier and this Footman James quote I did direct with them is better than the ones on comparison site !

All the best

Nick

I was with Lancaster for 3 years, but their prices were getting a bit high so I am now with Classicline on the XR.
This is my only car, but I am a named driver on the Mrs car.
I paid £165 with agreed value and breakdown cover, and the agreed value lasts 2 years, although they only like you to price A/V at the purchase price, but as/when the cars rise in value I will want the A/V to increase.....But well worth a call.

I would go for at least £7000 wherever you look :goodluck:

I will hunt around again as usual at time of renewal though.....Loyalty is so 80's :lol:

Paul G
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS, Rover SD1 Vitesse.
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby Paul G » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:13 am

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
01mpope wrote:Footman James. Amazingly cheap if it's a classic




I have limited myself to 2000 miles which is plenty for me, and put a value of £7000. I will probably have to get this value confirmed but thought I would start off high :lol:




All the best

Nick


Nick,

I'd have thought your car was worth more than that. Several Lasers have been advertised for a lot more (whether they got their price is a different matter) and none of them would have held a candle to yours.

I haven't insured my capris yet but with my old MGB's and my kit car I have been with various companies, Lancaster, Adrian Fux, Footman James etc and have found them all to be a band of shisters, sticking their " admin fees" on and starting at a low price then the next year hiking it up to silly levels.

I have no loyalty to any of them and just phone round for the best deal each year.

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 9825
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:59 am

Fordoholic Nick wrote:they want to charge me £40 renewal fee !!!

Hi,
You'd think that they would want to keep existing customers. There must be much less admin involved than starting a policy with a new customer.
As for value, I'd agree that £7-£8K would be bang on.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3724
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: Big insurance problems

Postby andyd » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:16 am

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Fordoholic Nick wrote:they want to charge me £40 renewal fee !!!

Hi,
You'd think that they would want to keep existing customers. There must be much less admin involved than starting a policy with a new customer.
As for value, I'd agree that £7-£8K would be bang on.

Andrew.

Renewal Fee :o ....That's a new one :spank:


Return to “Q & A”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], D366Y and 15 guests