JBW Wheels, any good?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

JBW Wheels, any good?

Post by Arya2.0S »

I'm thinking of getting a set of these for my Capri:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7x-13-Superli ... 2448360333
Just wondered if anyone has any experience with the brand "John Brown Wheels"?

They're relatively cheap hence why im slightly dubious, seems too cheap almost. Different sellers are selling the exact same thing and brand but for £80+ more so just wondered if these are a decent make or not?

Cheers.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Re: JBW Wheels, any good?

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi.

Well my 4 Spokes are JBW and I certainly dont have any issues with the branding/quality of them. I did quite a bit of research before buying them a couple of years back, when they were trading more as Midland Wheels. They were originallyJohn Brown Wheels before then and seem to recall they made their own wheels back then. Then more recently (few years back) they decided to get them made for them abroad and imported. I remember reading at the time they only decided to go down this route only if they were happy their standard of manufacture was adhered to with very strict quality control checks.

JBW have been a big player in the classic car scene for many years now. Have a look next time you walk around the big Ford shows and you will see quite a few cars with their wheels. Recently they have reverted back to pushing the well known JBW rather than Midlland Wheels. I have kept the JBW centre wheel caps on my 4 Spokes as no point pretending they are RS. Their trade stands at both Silverstone and Santa Pod are always really busy so they obviously must be doing something right. They offer a great after sales/advice service too and can supply the tyres fitted and balanced, with chrome valves and caps. This is what I did so when they arrived I only had to fit them. They give you a FREE set of new wheel nuts to suit which is a nice touch.

I believe Danny got his 7.5's from them too and how great do they look...and he got free wheel nuts too !

So anyway to answer your question yep I think JBW offer excellent value for money for afternarket classic wheels.

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: JBW Wheels, any good?

Post by D366Y »

Have to agree with Nick; I bought the alloys without the tyres on but they still sent me new wheel nuts and valves so I only had to fit the tryes and balance them!

Also, I was looking all over the place online, and if you are a member of CCI they sell them and are actually cheaper than buying direct from JBW so worth considering as well maybe? Don't think they will come fitted with tyres though if you go down that route, but as Nick says, loads of people fit them to all sorts of cars across the show scene

IMO worth having a look at!

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.