Limited options for 2.0 exhausts?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Limited options for 2.0 exhausts?

Post by Arya2.0S »

Are the only performance exhausts available for a 2.0 pinto Ashley, Sportex and Peter Lloyd? Ive looked everywhere and cant find any stainless options and these are the only 3 i keep finding, apart from the bog standard factory option (ew) of course.

Heard the fitment for all of the above 3 arent good any they rust quickly, i need something thats gonna last and fit properly, as the current Peter Lloyd one i have knocks on the rear spring, will also be upgrading to wider tyres with a bigger offset soon as well so need something thats not gonna foul on the rear wheel.

Does anyone have any idea where i could get a stainless system or have any experience with the above mentioned brands?

Thanks.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Limited options for 2.0 exhausts?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote: the current Peter Lloyd one i have knocks on the rear spring.
Hi,
Sportex exhausts are also well known for that. I seem to remember reading that Sportex and Ashley are the same system, if that's the case then the Ashley exhaust will knock too.

Have you considered having a stainless system custom made to your requirements? There are places up and down the country that can make them, and it isn't all that expensive. That could be your only option if a stainless system is not available off the shelf.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Have you considered having a stainless system custom made to your requirements? There are places up and down the country that can make them, and it isn't all that expensive.; That could be your only option if a stainless system is not available off the shelf.
That is what I was thinking.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Didn't consider custom made as that would be immensely expensive (or so i thought), any clue what a ball park figure would be for something like that?
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

Maybe worth giving these people a visit as they are local to you in Basildon

https://www.haywardandscott.com/
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Another option:
https://www.longlife.co.uk/stainless-st ... AtVt8P8HAQ

Andrew.
I can recommend Longlife (Well my local fitter anyway....they supply Morgan with the Stainless Systems for their new cars)

Custom made to the look and sound you want, unlike Powerflow that have the silencers pre made.

Cost me just under £400 for a single system from downpipe, with twin tailpipes for my Honda CRX last year, so Capri about £350 approx I reckon.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Cool, i will contact all these people. Thanks a bunch dudes!
andyd

Post by andyd »

Peter Lloyd Exhausts are Sportex!!

The only options for many 80's Fords are Sportex or Ashley which can be too loud if not careful.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Arya2.0S wrote:Cool, i will contact all these people. Thanks a bunch dudes!
Although not stainless steel, but just so you have a price comparison, I bought a complete brand new standard system, available off the shelf, including all brackets and rubbers, and delivery, for about £90. Sounds excellent too.

I have seen various threads where you mention how pushed you are for cash at the moment, so that may be worth considering.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I have a sportex kit and can't say I've had any issues with it...? If you paint it with High temperature paint, then they don't rust as much/as quickly and should last a bit longer. Had two systems now, the first one is coming up to 5/6years old and still works fine and had no issues with it....

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Contacted two places regarding a stainless system..one cant give a quote unless i go all the way to Bromley to let them see the car (which is a very long way away just to "have a look", especially if they turn around and say they want a fortune to make it) and the other said they'd charged around £650 and need the car for a few days to make it! Obviously no good since i need the car on a daily basis. Is that normal? The needing the car at the workshop to make the exhaust it fits to? Seems a bit ridiculous to me, cant they take measurements or have a database to dimensions etc?
Two strikes thus far.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I would imagine that it might have something to do with them not all being identical.... Built in the 80s, they should all be the same but if there are some slight differences maybe that's why the measure it? If your exhaust hanger is 10-15mm further down the body and slightly to the left of mine etc. maybe they've had the issue before?
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

D366Y wrote:I would imagine that it might have something to do with them not all being identical.... Built in the 80s, they should all be the same but if there are some slight differences maybe that's why the measure it? If your exhaust hanger is 10-15mm further down the body and slightly to the left of mine etc. maybe they've had the issue before?
I dunno..seems strange that they cant just measure everything on the car once and go from there. Having to keep the car for the entire time they are building the exhaust just seems outrageous to me, so definitely wont be going down that route as i need the car.

I'll likely just go the Sportex route and strip it and repaint it myself with some VHT gear and be done with it. The stainless idea is too expensive and impractical and inconvenient to make it worth while in my eyes.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Arya2.0S wrote:
D366Y wrote:I would imagine that it might have something to do with them not all being identical.... Built in the 80s, they should all be the same but if there are some slight differences maybe that's why the measure it? If your exhaust hanger is 10-15mm further down the body and slightly to the left of mine etc. maybe they've had the issue before?
I dunno..seems strange that they cant just measure everything on the car once and go from there. Having to keep the car for the entire time they are building the exhaust just seems outrageous to me, so definitely wont be going down that route as i need the car.

I'll likely just go the Sportex route and strip it and repaint it myself with some VHT gear and be done with it. The stainless idea is too expensive and impractical and inconvenient to make it worth while in my eyes.
Did you call Longlife?
I took my car in and waited while they made the system from scratch which was about 8 hours.

For my sons Audi A3, they had a look at the car and took measurements to make the boxes in advance, so all they had to do was the pipework and assemble on the day, which took about 3 hours and cost £350/£400. Maybe Longlife dealers vary around the country, but I can recommend them.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

andyd wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:

Did you call Longlife?
I took my car in and waited while they made the system from scratch which was about 8 hours.

For my sons Audi A3, they had a look at the car and took measurements to make the boxes in advance, so all they had to do was the pipework and assemble on the day, which took about 3 hours and cost £350/£400. Maybe Longlife dealers vary around the country, but I can recommend them.
Ive sent them an email, haven't had a response yet. I hate phone calls so i avoid them at all costs. Looking at their site it seems the nearest dealer is in Croydon, so again too far to travel just for a "what if?".

Theres apparently someplace round the corner from me called "pipecraft" but they have no contact details other than phone....seems these people haven't learned that its 2017 and "email" is a thing yet lol.

Might pop by and see if they still exist, oddly talking in person is less of an issue than using phones for me.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Longlife Dealer in Ipswich, as I recall you are around the Essex area (?) http://demandengineering.co.uk/gallery/

The chap here said just under £400 for a stainless system with standard tailpipe (2",2.5" or 3") I presume...And can do it in a day.

They have done a Capri with Manifold and Full System too, and they know the Capri well.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

andyd wrote:Longlife Dealer in Ipswich, as I recall you are around the Essex area (?) http://demandengineering.co.uk/gallery/

The chap here said just under £400 for a stainless system with standard tailpipe (2",2.5" or 3") I presume...And can do it in a day.

They have done a Capri with Manifold and Full System too, and they know the Capri well.
They are too far away but hopefully if they know the car well they can make one and ship it to me.
I'll send them an email, thanks for the suggestion.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Arya2.0S wrote:
andyd wrote:Longlife Dealer in Ipswich, as I recall you are around the Essex area (?) http://demandengineering.co.uk/gallery/

They are too far away but hopefully if they know the car well they can make one and ship it to me.
I'll send them an email, thanks for the suggestion.
Here is a dealer location map https://www.longlife.co.uk/dealer

In theory all Longlife dealers should be in the same price bracket :goodluck:
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

One thing to watch out for is the quality of the stainless steel, it really needs to be 304 for the whole system and not just the boxes, I found this out when mine rusted through! Pin holes appeared on the pipes, admittedly it took over 10 years but I always assumed it would last the life of the car so not true. It did come with a life time guarantee, but that's not a lot of good if the company no longer trades. So what ever you choice to spend you hard earn cash on make sure it's made of a decent grade stainless steel for the whole system