Spilled antifreeze

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Spilled antifreeze

Post by tejb1 »

Hi guys

Changed the timing belt a few weeks ago, fitted a new fanbelt and water pump to boot. Ran the car with the timing belt cover off to check all was ok.

Today I'm refitting the cover but in doing so needed to move the coolant hose in front to give a tiny bit more clearance. In doing so a tiny amount of the water/antifreeze mix spilled on the timing belt, quite a bit p*ssed down onto the fanbelt.

Am I right to think that I shouldn't worry too much about a bit of antifreeze getting on a new timing belt? Sorry, I know this probably sounds super paranoid! Also, the fan belt got a fair bit more on - is this ok to keep, or not?

Out of interest, if a fanbelt goes I assume you stop sharpish, but putting another one on leaves no lasting damage? (I keep a spare in the boot).

Cheers!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Spilled antifreeze

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
The coolant spillage won't have caused any lasting damage, although if you've spilt a lot on the fan belt, it may cause it to slip and if that's the case it will squeal. Best to dry it up the best you can.
tejb1 wrote:Out of interest, if a fanbelt goes I assume you stop sharpish, but putting another one on leaves no lasting damage?
Yes, simply replace the broken belt with a new one and carry on as before!

Andrew.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Spilt antifreeze won't hurt much, I covered the engine of my capris with pretty much every liquid on the car with no probs.

You can run and even drive the car with no fan belt. There will be no drive to the alternator so the battery will run flat in time. There will be no coolant circulation so depending how gently you drive the engine will overheat in anywhere between 10 mins and 2 hours. Only the overheating will damage the engine, and only then if you continue to run after the temp gauge needle is at the top of the red.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Thanks guys. Mopped up with blue roll and run the engine, seems fine. Cheers.
Also good to know that if the fanbelt goes you at least can get off the road to a suitable place to change it!