Rocker cover stuck

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Rocker cover stuck

Post by Jim »

Hey guys, I'm in the process of doing my valve clearances but have come to a standstill because the rocker cover won't budge. I've removed all the bolts and believe the people before me have used sealant to stick the rocker cover down as there was like a black, dry gunge coming out with the bolts. This has meant that the rocker is practically glued on. I've tried rocking the cover backwards and forwards to break the seal but have had no luck. I don't want to lift up at the flanges either side as they are thin metal in fear that they may bend. Has anyone got any ideas or tips to get the rocker cover off without causing too much damage?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Jim on Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: Rocket cover stuck

Post by Major_Tom »

Typical Ford job... simple on paper but start doing it and every possible thing gets complicated and longed up in the most unexpected manner.

Hmmmm.. I would stick something in the oil filler hole and use that as leverage.. bit of a broomhandle maybe (you know, that 10" length of broom handle we all having lying around) being mindful of using too much force though and. Ease it back (towards the bulkhead) and maybe get the front to unstick from the cam pulley area first. Careful it doesn't put too much pressure on the neck of the filler hole though.. tighter fit the better.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Rocket cover stuck

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Rocket cover stuck?
Have you tried calling NASA for assistance? :D

Andrew.
Jim

Re: Rocker cover stuck

Post by Jim »

Certainly seems that way. I'm concerned about deforming the filler hole by using that as a pulling point. :cry:

I've amended the title. :D Getting NASA in to sort a rocket cover would probably be simpler than what I'm trying to sort out at the mo without causing any damage.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
As a last resort, you could run a knife around the joint. You'd have to replace the gasket as the old one will most likely be damaged in the process.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
As a last resort, you could run a knife around the joint. You'd have to replace the gasket as the old one will most likely be damaged in the process.

Andrew.
:agree: Would recommend sticking a new gasket on anyway if you're taking the cover off anyway, does no harm and only cost 'tu'pence!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I had this issue recently, the gasket sealant had basically glued mine to the head as well.
Could not get the damn thing to lift off with just my hands, so i got every pikey's favourite tool (a hammer) and gently tapped along the edges, just enough to shock-break the seal, once one corner starts lifting it will all come off easily, use a rubber hammer ideally..i didnt have access to one so chipped some paint on the engine block.
I didnt do any damage (apart from the small paint chip that i can easily touch in later) to the rocker cover, but then again i have the wider late model type so they might be a bit stronger than the thinner earlier ones if thats what you have?
Still, it worked a treat for me.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Or.... you could fill the PCV valve with cement, then weld a progressively smaller series of sleeves into the oil filler hole, then thread the last sleeve and screw a Schrader valve into it Then attach an air line from your local friendly garage, turn it on, sit back and bingo, hassle free, effortless method of breaking the seal. Once you've done it, simply reverse the above procedure.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

If that's too much hassle, or you don't have an airline, you could always remove the engine and submerge it in a bath of liquid helium up to the cam cover (coat it entirely in molten rubber first so you don't allow liquid gas to enter the engine or ancillaries). Then take a kettle of hot, but not boiling, water, and gently pour it onto the rocker cover. The expansion should make it easier to break the seal. Then simply remove the engine, wait for it to thaw out, then run it until all the rubber burns off. Sorted.

Don't forget a new gasket as the old one will be unusable.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Another time-honoured trick would be to fabricate a steel sarcophagus to fit snugly around the rocker cover. Spot weld it on for ease of removal, then attach a length of sturdy rope or yarn entirely around it. With the bonnet open, attach the other length of yarn to a tree, bollard or, even better, another Capri. Then simply reverse away from each other. The yarn will go taught, pull on the sarcophagus, which will pull upon the rocker cover nice and evenly. THis should generate enough force to pull the rocker cover free of the head.

When it comes off, have an assistant ready to catch it as it flies through the air. Then its merely a matter of plasma-cutting the sarcophagus off, sanding down the welds, repainting them and attaching a new gasket.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks for all the replies guys, got there in the end. Lightly tapped with rubber mallet and then kept pulling up on the edges gently. Turns out they have only used sealant right at the front by the cambelt. The old gasket has been torn with some of it still on that curve at the front. So will need to remove that. Glad I am doing the valves. It would seem that whoever last checked them, set some of the inlet valves to the exhaust valve spec....

On a side note, does anyone know how tight the valves should be on the feeler gauge when putting the gauge in?

PS Reading last post....should've tied some rope around a screw hole welded to an extension piece already on the cover and tugged on that.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

It should fit under snugly. So there's no play. Nice and tight.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

But not ridiculously tight. Not so its a strain. But not so its loose either.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Jim wrote:PS Reading last post....should've tied some rope around a screw hole welded to an extension piece already on the cover and tugged on that.
Oooh, sounds very complicated and long winded, that.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I smell....*sniff sniff* sarcasm in the air tonight.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Arya2.0S wrote:I smell....*sniff sniff* sarcasm in the air tonight.
Common problem with old Fords..