Camshaft max power area calculation

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Camshaft max power area calculation

Post by Vermilion »

Is there way to calculate, where is the best power area?

I am using camshaft that has following..

Power Band: 2000-6000
Cam Lift: 7.11mm
Valve Lift: 10.08mm Inlet 10.03mm Exhaust
Duration Inlet/Exhaust: 276 Degrees
Timing Figures: 24/72 72/24
Inlet Timing @ Full Lift: 114 Degrees
Valve Clearance: 0.36mm Inlet 0.41mm Exhaust

Though that is not true, because of my roller rockers, rocker arm ratio isn't original 1,47 but 1.6 ratio,
that should give about 1mm more lift to that camshaft.

Withouth roller camshaft max power came at 5800rpm area. I wonder how much that 1mm more lift
effects rpm area? (My old turbo engine had compressionratio of 8.0 and new one has around 8.8).

I have hoping to set rpm limiter with soft limit to 6600 and hard limit 6800rpm.
Just wondering if that is possible.
Stroker
Car(s): Ford Sierra 4x4 Estate

Re: Camshaft max power area calculation

Post by Stroker »

Vermilion wrote:Is there way to calculate, where is the best power area?

Though that is not true, because of my roller rockers, rocker arm ratio isn't original 1,47 but 1.6 ratio,

Withouth roller camshaft max power came at 5800rpm area. I wonder how much that 1mm more lift
effects rpm area? (My old turbo engine had compressionratio of 8.0 and new one has around 8.8).

I have hoping to set rpm limiter with soft limit to 6600 and hard limit 6800rpm.
Kent V6T21 camshaft.
Not only does the higher ratio rocker increase peak lift, it increases valve duration and valve acceleration. Effectively the engine sees it as a wilder cam. Another benefit is it keeps the cam profile base circle as large as possible which makes the lifters job at high rpm easier.

Although I can't really help you with your question I find this subject very interesting.
I did quite a bit of research when I started planning my engine build. Basically once you start really pushing the 5 port heads (N/A over say 190hp)it's seems that very few, if any, produce power over that 5800rpm N/A. The more capacity the more this trend shows up.
I would have thought a turbo engine should be able to push through this rpm though, as it should be able to overcome the port reversion issue due to the pressurized intake. So I'm very interested to see the outcome of this new motor of yours. :cool:
The V6T21 camshaft with a 1.6 rocker ratio would make it slightly stronger than the Isky F6-66 camshaft I'm running, sort of half way between a V6T21 and the V6T31. The Isky F6-66 is listed as 2500rpm-6300rpm range. The V6T31 is listed as 2500rpm-6500rpm range.
Although in my N/A 3.5L the F6-66 is peaking around 5300-5400rpm. :swear:
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Stroker wrote:
Vermilion wrote:Is there way to calculate, where is the best power area?

Kent V6T21 camshaft.
Not only does the higher ratio rocker increase peak lift, it increases valve duration and valve acceleration. Effectively the engine sees it as a wilder cam. Another benefit is it keeps the cam profile base circle as large as possible which makes the lifters job at high rpm easier.

Although I can't really help you with your question I find this subject very interesting.
I did quite a bit of research when I started planning my engine build. Basically once you start really pushing the 5 port heads (N/A over say 190hp)it's seems that very few, if any, produce power over that 5800rpm N/A. The more capacity the more this trend shows up.
I would have thought a turbo engine should be able to push through this rpm though, as it should be able to overcome the port reversion issue due to the pressurized intake. So I'm very interested to see the outcome of this new motor of yours. :cool:
The V6T21 camshaft with a 1.6 rocker ratio would make it slightly stronger than the Isky F6-66 camshaft I'm running, sort of half way between a V6T21 and the V6T31. The Isky F6-66 is listed as 2500rpm-6300rpm range. The V6T31 is listed as 2500rpm-6500rpm range.
Although in my N/A 3.5L the F6-66 is peaking around 5300-5400rpm. :swear:

Hmmm sounds like your exhaust side is too small, if rpm is so low. There is only one downside with more lift, it should increase fuel consumption in low rpm area.
Stroker

Post by Stroker »

Vermilion wrote:
Hmmm sounds like your exhaust side is too small, if rpm is so low.
Exactly my thought as well. Replacing the small bore headers with my original large bore headers. Also welded a port in exhaust system to be able to measure back pressure to see if it's a problem with the exhaust system.
Vermilion wrote:
There is only one downside with more lift, it should increase fuel consumption in low rpm area.
I would have thought with 400+hp tyre life would be of more concern than fuel consumption. :mrgreen: :xd:
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

if all goes well it might be 5xx cause its probably even now 4xx with even old engine with stock internals...
got dyno paper with 1.15 bar boost giving 367,4/510, with 98e5(98octane) fuel and new is e85(106 oktane) that should give more power.
And I am now running with 1.4-1.5 bar boost. New engine need little bit more boost maybe 1.7 bar.

Both engines will use same camshaft, new one just have that 1mm extra lift.
I might even make biggger exhaust for new engine old one is just 3" stainless exhaust.
If i found somewhere suitable 90 degree oval stainless 3,5" exhaust it might fit well...
Stroker

Post by Stroker »

Vermilion wrote:if all goes well it might be 5xx cause its probably even now 4xx with even old engine with stock internals...
got dyno paper with 1.15 bar boost giving 367,4/510, with 98e5(98octane) fuel and new is e85(106 oktane) that should give more power.
And I am now running with 1.4-1.5 bar boost. New engine need little bit more boost maybe 1.7 bar.

Both engines will use same camshaft, new one just have that 1mm extra lift.
I might even make biggger exhaust for new engine old one is just 3" stainless exhaust.
If i found somewhere suitable 90 degree oval stainless 3,5" exhaust it might fit well...
Wow awesome!!! :applaud:
This 2.9TT might interest you. http://www.xrstyle.co.uk/forums/showthr ... d-a-climax
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Not going for TT propably never, i prefer single turbo. Singe turbo supras make 1000+bhb havent seen any TT with specs like that.

Finnish street cup drive's supra seen this car quite many times and its street capable. Yes its Single turbo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbApgXVApeQ

There is ways to make turbo spool lower withouth losing much, if you just know how and its little bit more expensive than just a single turbo
but its still way more cheaper and more reliable way that TT.

Single turbo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6bq9aOk2qQ

Single turbo..
http://skogenracing.editboard.com/t1255 ... hp-6699wnm