Too, much or too little oil at heads V6 Cologne

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Too, much or too little oil at heads V6 Cologne

Post by Vermilion »

I was wondering whats the point of these

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/ODk5WD ... -pt-_1.jpg

Do they guide more oil to camshaft or what? Does the heads collect too much oil withouth them?
I would have to to really lot changes to get them working with my roller rocker arms. There isn't space
for those oil "guide/splash" plates.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ak0ev910-aPVtUqZ_yC2shmF_3Pl

Harlandsharp doesn't give any comments should I use those oil guide plates or not.
With lots of grinding I might be able to get those plates to fit, but not sure if they work
like they used to work then anymore. Double valve spring places need to be cut off and
some bending to plates to get to fit in any direction. Then there is barely any space, so
plates need to be made "oval" hole for each rocker not to get them to hit the roller.
"Little bit hard to describe"
Stroker
Car(s): Ford Sierra 4x4 Estate

Re: Too, much or too little oil at heads V6 Cologne

Post by Stroker »

I think that you could run without those plates. I'm guessing, but think they are there to divert excess oil back down into the block valley in stead of around the valve stems. If there is a excess of oil pooling up in the heads you could easily put oil restrictors into the oil gallery that feed the rocker shafts in the heads to limit excess oil.

I've been looking over photos of your new engine https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ak0ev910-aPVuBiu3AuK6bwUGzex Pretty impressive!! :cool:
Who makes your roller rockers, Harland sharp don't have a listing on there web site? I was wondering how they get there oil feed to the rockers? The rocker shaft doesn't appear to have any oil galleries to feed the rockers. :shock:
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Stroker wrote:I think that you could run without those plates. I'm guessing, but think they are there to divert excess oil back down into the block valley in stead of around the valve stems. If there is a excess of oil pooling up in the heads you could easily put oil restrictors into the oil gallery that feed the rocker shafts in the heads to limit excess oil.

I've been looking over photos of your new engine https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ak0ev910-aPVuBiu3AuK6bwUGzex Pretty impressive!! :cool:
Who makes your roller rockers, Harland sharp don't have a listing on there web site? I was wondering how they get there oil feed to the rockers? The rocker shaft doesn't appear to have any oil galleries to feed the rockers. :shock:
Rocker arm shafts are hollow, and oil come same way as it did in standand 2.8 V6. Not the way like Essex does the same thing.
Stroker

Post by Stroker »

Vermilion wrote:
Stroker wrote:I think that you could run without those plates. I'm guessing, but think they are there to divert excess oil back down into the block valley in stead of around the valve stems. If there is a excess of oil pooling up in the heads you could easily put oil restrictors into the oil gallery that feed the rocker shafts in the heads to limit excess oil.

Rocker arm shafts are hollow, and oil come same way as it did in standand 2.8 V6. Not the way like Essex does the same thing.
From your photos I can't see any oil feeder galleries for the rockers. Are they on the opposite side to the photos?
Nice looking set of roller rockers, are they made by Harland Sharp or are they a one off?
I'd love to get a set of high ratio rockers for my engine but the only ones I've found so far are these http://www.moranav6racing.com/category. ... egoryID=52

Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

if you are wondering why those wearing marks on shafts, they came because of installation error. oil holes were situated in wrong side. Oil holes are supposed to be at bottom.

Harland Sharp makes those, if I remember right pair of those cost about 1200$
(I bought new shafts and those old saft are also usable if you turn them around. wear marks to top side.)
Stroker

Post by Stroker »

Vermilion wrote:if you are wondering why those wearing marks on shafts, they came because of installation error. oil holes were situated in wrong side. Oil holes are supposed to be at bottom.

Harland Sharp makes those, if I remember right pair of those cost about 1200$
(I bought new shafts and those old saft are also usable if you turn them around. wear marks to top side.)
Yes I was wondering about the wear marks.

That's what I did with my rocker shafts just turned them 180 degrees to put the wear marks at the top. They only had minimal wear though. Also ground a groove across the oil gallery on the rocker shaft to help lubricate rocker bearing surface on the load side.
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Does anyone know what is suitable oil pressure for this kind of applications? I am combining High volyme oil pump and High pressure oil pump.
~30% volyme ja +25% pressure than standard.
Stroker

Post by Stroker »

Vermilion wrote:Does anyone know what is suitable oil pressure for this kind of applications? I am combining High volyme oil pump and High pressure oil pump.
~30% volyme ja +25% pressure than standard.
Something to bare in mind is the extra load a higher pressure oil pump will place on the hex drive to the oil pump. I believe this hex drive will be the weak point, the higher the pressure the higher the load on this part.

The rule of thumb that I was always told is 10psi per thousand rpm ie:7000rpm=70psi.

I drilled out my oil galleries on my 3.5L to increase volume/flow which is something else to look at if not already done.