Laser Decal "Stripes"

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Laser Decal "Stripes"

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi,

Need some opinions/advice from you guys please on the 'stripes' on my Laser. As you can see there is a thin orangey red stripe that runs between the bottom edge of the actual Laser stripes and the rubber mouldings. I am seriously considering removing this as I reckon it will look better without it. Most Lasers I have seen don't seem to have this. Speaking with the previous owner at Simply Ford last year he explained to me that when the Laser stripes were applied he did not think the they looked correct so added the thin orangey strip to fill it in to make it look better. I am presuming my Laser decals are the correct ones (size/pattern) so reckon removing the stripe will 'enhance' the look ? They do seem to be positioned correctly from what I seen from other Lasers. They seem to line up with the bumper cappings pretty well from what I can see.

Any comments greatly welcome and appreciated as I don't want to remove it only for the Laser stripes to look too 'small'. Surely they are a standard size ? I do think it looks nice as it is but something is telling me to get rid of the orangey stripe completely so it looks more as it should do. Hope I am making sense.

Here is a picture showing what I mean...

Image20161227_151744 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Laser Decal "Stripes"

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Hi Nick,
Havn't seen your car in the metal, yet, but it looks great in the pictures. The orange stripe gives yours its own identity as I have yet to see one with the same treatment. If you're unsure, I've linked a current advert for one below in your colour with standard striping. Looks great as standard, ultimately its your car, you're the one who's got to be happy with it, methinks you've got a difficult choice.. :)

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C834564
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Many moons ago when my 2.0 still had the Laser stripes mine had a similar thin blue one added in which didn't look at all bad. In the end I took the whole lot off when it needed a bit of body work and they never went back.
Yours looks fine Nick and I would guess that the main problem is that you know they are not original in which case I wouldn't worry as the car is superb anyway. However if you are not keen you just need to consider how easy it will be to remove the stripe. You might be OK and it will just peel off but often it needs a little heat to unstick them and it would be a big shame if that damaged something else in the process.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote:You might be OK and it will just peel off but often it needs a little heat to unstick them and it would be a big shame if that damaged something else in the process.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote:
Peter-S wrote:You might be OK and it will just peel off but often it needs a little heat to unstick them and it would be a big shame if that damaged something else in the process.
Most accurate thing yet?? :lol:

Personally I quite like the stripe but agree with everyone else above that at the end of the day you have to like it, if you don't like it take it off, if it doesn't bother you leave it :)
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Hi Nick,

My vote is "Leave" . It looks alright, works well with the orange Laser decal above the strips. Unless you are trying to make it like it came out of the factory, in which case you might have to change a few other things.

All the best
Neil
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Freelanderfan wrote:Havn't seen your car in the metal, yet, but it looks great in the pictures. The orange stripe gives yours its own identity as I have yet to see one with the same treatment. If you're unsure, I've linked a current advert for one below in your colour with standard striping.
Hi Rob, thanks for your comments fella, and thanks for that link to another Lacquer Red Laser without ! Yep it does look very good with the standard decals mate which got me all in a ponder !! You are quite correct though to say not many Lasers have a stripe like mine. Its the sad sort of thing I "look out for" as I walk around shows/meets looking at all the Lasers Rob...keeps me entertained :lol: and yep, it its does give mine a bit of an identity just as you said :)
Peter-S wrote:Many moons ago when my 2.0 still had the Laser stripes mine had a similar thin blue one added in which didn't look at all bad. In the end I took the whole lot off when it needed a bit of body work and they never went back.
Yours looks fine Nick and I would guess that the main problem is that you know they are not original in which case I wouldn't worry as the car is superb anyway. However if you are not keen you just need to consider how easy it will be to remove the stripe. You might be OK and it will just peel off but often it needs a little heat to unstick them and it would be a big shame if that damaged something else in the process.
Thanks Peter. Your comments very much appreciated too mate. Yep, I just woke up the other day and after having looked on the internet to "research" this and seen the majority of Lasers don't seem to have this stripe I was just contemplating whether it would look any better without it ! I have actually seen a "few" Lasers at shows/meets with one but really only a few ! The fact you had one too Peter suggests that this maybe is not so unusual as I first thought mate. I was hoping to hear of another member who had similar and here you are :D

Peter, you are quite correct when you said its mainly me knowing its not original and not disliking it that has me pondering this ! I get like this sometimes as I push on through life ! On a serious note though and as you pointed out mate, I would be mortified if I caused more harm than good trying to remove them ! Time to look at that "problem solving" table that Paul posted up again :lol:
D366Y wrote:Personally I quite like the stripe but agree with everyone else above that at the end of the day you have to like it, if you don't like it take it off, if it doesn't bother you leave it :)
Cheers Danny, Yep I do like fella. Just one of those moments I get from time to time. I might think "why the f*ck did I remove it" afterwards as its not the sort of thing you can just stick back on if I changed my mind...well this is not exactly true as that's what decals do...stick on, but you know what I mean !
sheff wrote:My vote is "Leave" . It looks alright, works well with the orange Laser decal above the strips. Unless you are trying to make it like it came out of the factory, in which case you might have to change a few other things.
Nice one Neil. Thanks fella. Yep, the stripe is a perfect colour match for the "Laser" decal so the previous owner did make a nice job of it mate. Yep, if I went down the "back to factory" road I think I would have to pack a bigger suitcase :lol: Thanks for you comments Neil.

Anyway chaps, I really do appreciate your kind words of advice. I know its not exactly a life changing issue ! Yep think they will stay just as they are then ! I could not live with myself if I messed it up (easily done with me :wave: ) and as said I do actually like them, I was just "pondering" as I do a lot these days ! So quoting Pauls excellent reference guide chart I will "Leave it alone" !!

All the best now and thanks again

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I like the orange stripe, it looks cool.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I like the orange stripe, it looks cool
Cheers Andrew.

Nice one mate. Yep, its definatey staying now fella :)

Funny thing is it was only last year that I actually noticed this stripe still had its protective film on it on both sides!! Whoever fitted it forgot to peel it off ! So I had been driving around for a few years with its film still on. No wonder it looks so clean :lol:

All the best

Nick
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Nick, I think coupled with the other very subtle mods to your stunning motor, the extra red stripe compliments the red Laser decals perfectly.
The stripe should stay, in my humble :cheers:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Keep it, it's custom and makes it unique and "yours". Why be the same as the rest? Though saying that I understand the desire to be "all original" and "accurate" etc etc, though like someone else already said if we were to pursue that then more stuff would have to change, that's why I gave up on that pursuit ages ago and have turned my car into a "resto mod" instead.
Chasing factory accurate originality is exhausting and expensive as hell!!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

timfromull wrote:Nick, I think coupled with the other very subtle mods to your stunning motor, the extra red stripe compliments the red Laser decals perfectly.
The stripe should stay, in my humble :cheers:
Thanks very much Tim. Very good of you to say mate :) Yep, the previous owner obviously thought about it enough to make sure the stripe matched the decals perfectly. Its been really good hearing the comments here and has definitely made up my mind to keep with it ! Cheers :D
Arya2.0S wrote:Keep it, it's custom and makes it unique and "yours". Why be the same as the rest? Though saying that I understand the desire to be "all original" and "accurate" etc etc, though like someone else already said if we were to pursue that then more stuff would have to change, that's why I gave up on that pursuit ages ago and have turned my car into a "resto mod" instead.
Chasing factory accurate originality is exhausting and expensive as hell!!
Thanks mate. Nice one :)

Totally agree with you regarding mods 100%. I have a hell of alot of respect for anyone who has managed to get their Capri to as near original as it came out of the factory. Its no easy task, takes a lot of dedication, and as you say expensive one at that too to source the parts. You just have to applaud these folk. Its really fantastic to see these original Capris at shows/meets, but tbh I enjoy every bit as much to see the mods that a lot of owners have achieved with theirs too. This is why I enjoy so much looking around the shows/meets. Your headlight conversion for example I think is brilliant, looks great and actually improves the driving experience with better lighting. Job well done !! Some mods are maybe not so subtle but boy are still dam amazing ! There is a chap who has a Cabaret Capri from the Surrey Capri Club who converted his whole instrument panel to digital displays. Now on paper you would maybe think that this should not work, but when you actually see it for real you are blown away with how great it actually looks !

Each to their own and at the end of the day no matter what the keeper has done (within reason of course :lol: ) its a Capri, its on the road rather than in a graveyard and I just love them all...even the ones that have a thin orangey stripe under the decal stickers ! :wave: :lol:

All the best and thanks again

Nick
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Post by Vermilion »

Does anyone know where to find fuel lid, sticker/decal that looks the same as in following picture?
http://s7.photobucket.com/user/AutoFive ... e.jpg.html
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

Vermilion - DMB graphics will sort out the fuel sticker for you.

Nick, THAT orange stripe is to me what makes your car unique and personal which I like BUT... You didn't do it so for me, I'd remove all the decals and get DMB to make up a custom set unique to YOU. Remember Mikes Alfie 2.8? Purple 2.8 decals made that car unique. You could do similar to yours? For me, its all about being different.
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Post by Vermilion »

SmokeEm wrote:Vermilion - DMB graphics will sort out the fuel sticker for you.

Nick, THAT orange stripe is to me what makes your car unique and personal which I like BUT... You didn't do it so for me, I'd remove all the decals and get DMB to make up a custom set unique to YOU. Remember Mikes Alfie 2.8? Purple 2.8 decals made that car unique. You could do similar to yours? For me, its all about being different.

I can't seem to find one like that sticker from DMB page?
Do I need to design size and that again by my self and send instruction or something.
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator

Post by SmokeEm »

They will make it for you. Just email Dave from the site and he will sort you out.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Nick, THAT orange stripe is to me what makes your car unique and personal which I like.
Remember Mikes Alfie 2.8? Purple 2.8 decals made that car unique. You could do similar to yours? For me, its all about being different.
Cheers Dave.

Yep, remember Mikes car mate. Got to see Alfie in the flesh at the 45th Anniversary meet at Brooklands few years back. Those purple custom decals really did make this a unique Capri. Wonder if the new owner has kept them...

http://www.hantscapriclub.co.uk/members/mike1.jpg

http://www.hantscapriclub.co.uk/members/mike2.jpg

Yep, different is definitely good Dave, totally agree. Standard too. That's why I love the shows so much. Seeing the unique touches owners have done to make theirs just that bit different. I would have loved to have seen some of your Capri's in the flesh Dave...bet they were just a tad different and unique and I am not talking just decals :shock: :lol:

All the best

Nick
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator

Post by SmokeEm »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:

Nick, THAT orange stripe is to me what makes your car unique and personal which I like.
Remember Mikes Alfie 2.8? Purple 2.8 decals made that car unique. You could do similar to yours? For me, its all about being different.
Cheers Dave.

Yep, remember Mikes car mate. Got to see Alfie in the flesh at the 45th Anniversary meet at Brooklands few years back. Those purple custom decals really did make this a unique Capri. Wonder if the new owner has kept them...

Yep, different is definitely good Dave, totally agree. Standard too. That's why I love the shows so much. Seeing the unique touches owners have done to make theirs just that bit different. I would have loved to have seen some of your Capri's in the flesh Dave...bet they were just a tad different and unique and I am not talking just decals :shock: :lol:

All the best

Nick
One of my Capri's was totally unique (If you opened the tailgate, a two man tent jumped out and put itself up!)

Not kidding, Peter S saw it lol :lol:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:

Cheers Dave.

All the best

Nick
Hmm, thats tasty. Man i love the Turbo Tail, wish i had one. Thats the only thing visually id change about mine/want to change about mine, get a front spoiler and a bigger rear one, either a Turbo Tail or something else which i know is highly unlikely since they are rare as rocking horse poop and even more expensive!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

SmokeEm wrote:One of my Capri's was totally unique (If you opened the tailgate, a two man tent jumped out and put itself up!)

Not kidding, Peter S saw it lol :lol:
:lol: :lol: Brilliant !

Sounds like something out of "Carry on Camping" Dave