Instrument Cluster Bulb Replacement

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Instrument Cluster Bulb Replacement

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
Mc Tool wrote:I shouldn't be surprized you think all his cute little bulbs are just perfect :gay: :xd: .
pbar wrote:You can't really have a go at anyone, you include 'guns' in your list of interests and call yourself a tool :D

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I only asked how easy it was to reach my "cluster" ! :)
Cluster F**K https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... a4458f.jpg

Cheer up Nick and give us a Pun :D
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

andyd wrote:Cheer up Nick and give us a Pun :D
I cant think straight Andy...I'm all in a 'cluster' :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Nick,
Before you "dash" off to do the bulb replacements, I thought I'd "LED" you on how to do it. It's easy to "gauge" how "illuminating" the end result will be.

I'll leave the puns to the expert......

Andrew.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

What are the best LEDs to get for replacing the dash bulbs please ? Is there a link or part number.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I found the ones with 3 or4 3mm leds with flat heads and a sort concave `cone` in the head worked best, as the cone disperses more light out sideways. A standard LED sends a beam almost parallel out of the end which doesn`t work very well in capri instrument which relies on light from side of bulb, if that makes sense?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Not_Anumber wrote:What are the best LEDs to get for replacing the dash bulbs please ? Is there a link or part number.
Hi,
I bought these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-T10-W5W-5 ... SwvgdW3KdA

I think these are the ones Steve is referring to in his post above mine:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-T10-W5W-5 ... SwxN5WZgUT

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I bought these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-T10-W5W-5 ... SwvgdW3KdA

I think these are the ones Steve is referring to in his post above mine:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-T10-W5W-5 ... SwxN5WZgUT
Thanks for these links Andrew :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I have changed my dash bulbs to LEDs now. I found the type in the first link were quite difficult to make fit in the Capri dash as they have a shoulder around the bulb which is as wide as the holder. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-T10-W5W-5 ... SwvgdW3KdA

I started to file this down but decided not to bother as I'd also ordered the other type which fitted an awful lot easier; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-T10-W5W-5 ... SwxN5WZgUT

The polarity of these LEDs isnt easy to see so I just put them in one way and turned them round if they didn't light up. Slightly more fiddly than conventional bulbs for this reason but they work a treat with a nice green glow to the instruments. The dimmer control hardly makes any difference at all now but ive left it in place and the dash certainly isnt over bright for night driving.
Chris.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Not_Anumber wrote:I have changed my dash bulbs to LEDs now. I found the type in the first link were quite difficult to make fit in the Capri dash as they have a shoulder around the bulb which is as wide as the holder.
Hi,
:oops: Sorry, I forgot to mention that!! I trimmed mine around with a knife before fitting them.
One benefit of LED is that they are supposed to have a longer lifespan than conventional bulbs. Now that job has been done, you shouldn't have to worry about the illumination again.

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

You know, people drove cars like this around throughout the 60's, 70's, 80's, and no one bothered or cared about how bright the lights are, they were perfectly fine, as I feel that they still are to be honest. Now all of a sudden they're not good enough and we need them brighter to be like a modern car! I just don't get it. But each to their own, fair enough.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:You know, people drove cars like this around throughout the 60's, 70's, 80's, and no one bothered or cared about how bright the lights are, they were perfectly fine, as I feel that they still are to be honest. Now all of a sudden they're not good enough and we need them brighter to be like a modern car! I just don't get it. But each to their own, fair enough.
Hi Paul,
:agree: Its all part of what these old cars were/are.....But I respect the owners choice to upgrade their cars if they wish.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

pbar wrote:You know, people drove cars like this around throughout the 60's, 70's, 80's, and no one bothered or cared about how bright the lights are, they were perfectly fine, as I feel that they still are to be honest. Now all of a sudden they're not good enough and we need them brighter to be like a modern car! I just don't get it. But each to their own, fair enough.
Back in that time when these cars were commonplace and a lot younger, they didn't have blackened bulbs or melted plastic shades that had aged, and the dash lighting would have worked normally. Same with headlights, if the reflectors aren't tarnished and lenses are clear then the lights are as good as anything else with an H1 halogen bulb.

Oh yeah, and "sloppy steering" and "crap brakes". These are not "just the way old cars are" - our cars maybe old but they were not designed to be shit. If you return any of our vehicles sub-systems to as-built spec and functionality then performance is usually acceptable. We forget how old our cars are now and how much stuff may have worn or aged.

That's just my observation.
pbar

Post by pbar »

A standard Capri performs great Noel. I was out in mine last night, would rather drive it than any modern car, I really would. I just don't get it when I see people getting a classic car then 'upgrading' it. I am not wanting to criticise others though, as I know that many people like to change things.
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Hi Paul,
:agree: Its all part of what these old cars were/are.
Thanks Andy :)
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

pbar wrote: I just don't get it when I see people getting a classic car then 'upgrading' it.
I agree. But to be fair a lot of people upgrade when replacing worn original spec parts that are now hard to source.
I fully poly bushed mine, when replacing worn original bushes.
It was great when I did it, all new feeling and very taught and firm.
But today, it just feels harsh and "jiggly". Maybe its because I'm older. I am sure original spec rubber bushing would have been a better choice, but there you are.

You don't need to upgrade to get the car feeling great. Any crapness is usually due to wear and tear.

However that said - if you want an OE spec V6 exhaust you are screwed, your choice is a thunderous Sportex or an expensive Janspeed.
So sometimes modifications are unavoidable.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

The panel lights were down to a single working bulb so required action. It wasn't an intention to change or upgrade. When I went to search for a spec for the right type of bulb I found this thread and ordered the LEDs but equally if there had been a thread specifying the right type of incandescent bulbs i would have gone that route. Bulbs are just consumables to me, no more impact on originality that the brand of oil filter or the age of the air in the tyres.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Noel wrote:I am sure original spec rubber bushing would have been a better choice, but there you are.
Totally agree with you there Noel. :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I don't understand it, all these people highly modifiying their cars by putting LEDs in the dash instead of bulbs. Whatever next! :)

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I don't understand it, all these people with highly modified cars that have LEDs in the dash instead of bulbs. Whatever next! :)

Andrew.
Couldn't agree more Andrew! I never check the dash anyway! :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote:Couldn't agree more Andrew! I never check the dash anyway!
I check the fuel gauge a lot. The joys of driving a 2.8! :lol:

Andrew.