Why is there grease on my brake shoes?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Why is there grease on my brake shoes?

Post by stevemarl »

The issue here though is NOT that there are cheap, poor quality bearings out there. The bearings are not faulty or poor quality - they`re perfectly fine for another car, but they are the wrong part for the Capri, which is a completely different matter . Your `leaky` bearings are not actually leaking, the oil has been very slowly seeping by capillary action AROUND and past the bearing, cos it does not have the raised lip at the back sealing it to the axle tube. It`s not worn out, it`s just been seeping ever so slowly since it was fitted. So it`s just a matter of buying the correct part; not just buying a random part off ebay which is supposed to fit - get the correct part number yourself and see where you can buy that; they are out there. I`ve had, just for example, QH branded bearings in the past; inevitably the bearings are actually made by SKF, INA etc . (SKF are the worlds biggest manufacturer of bearings, they invented & patented the double row bearing race; the original bearings, front and rear, fitted in Cologne were made by SKF.) I really don`t have any doubts about QH bearings being fit for purpose & If they can be bought for under £25 ? THAT is my problem.
I have no issue with CCI, I`ve had stuff from them in the past, if you search all my posts you won`t find any negative about them, or him. So it`s not a CCI bashing exercise, it`s just I don`t like people being ripped off. It annoys me.
Edit: just checked and I`ve got some QH wheel bearings & hubs for another car upstairs; SKF.

Edit 2 Whilst on the subject of SKF, did you know..... In the 1920s they decided to diversify and have a go at making these new-fangled motor car things. To reference their core business of ball bearings they named the cars `I roll` in Latin; Volvo.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

stevemarl wrote:The issue here though is NOT that there are cheap, poor quality bearings out there. The bearings are not faulty or poor quality - they`re perfectly fine for another car, but they are the wrong part for the Capri, which is a completely different matter . Your `leaky` bearings are not actually leaking, the oil has been very slowly seeping by capillary action AROUND and past the bearing, cos it does not have the raised lip at the back sealing it to the axle tube. It`s not worn out, it`s just been seeping ever so slowly since it was fitted. So it`s just a matter of buying the correct part; not just buying a random part off ebay which is supposed to fit - get the correct part number yourself and see where you can buy that; they are out there. I`ve had, just for example, QH branded bearings in the past; inevitably the bearings are actually made by SKF, INA etc . (SKF are the worlds biggest manufacturer of bearings, they invented & patented the double row bearing race; the original bearings, front and rear, fitted in Cologne were made by SKF.) I really don`t have any doubts about QH bearings being fit for purpose & If they can be bought for under £25 ? THAT is my problem.
I have no issue with CCI, I`ve had stuff from them in the past, if you search all my posts you won`t find any negative about them, or him. So it`s not a CCI bashing exercise, it`s just I don`t like people being ripped off. It annoys me.
Edit: just checked and I`ve got some QH wheel bearings & hubs for another car upstairs; SKF.

Edit 2 Whilst on the subject of SKF, did you know..... In the 1920s they decided to diversify and have a go at making these new-fangled motor car things. To reference their core business of ball bearings they named the cars `I roll` in Latin; Volvo.
Ok, but how am i supposed to find out what the correct part number is?

See this is part of the problem...i only want to buy a better product than before that isnt going to let me down in a couple of years.
Because this is a car that has been out of production for 3 decades now, its not like i can just call up the dealership and ask what i need or get the part number from them, or go to a third party parts supplier and ask them what the part number is etc.

So all i have to go on is my own personal experience with what i bought before (which has failed in only 3 years) and what other people in the community say/what the vendor says (in this case CCI, and people have said to avoid cheap ebay kits and only go with Tickover/CCI products).

I'm not sure how on earth i'm supposed to figure out what a part number is for tiny part of an obscure classic car is (did a Google search, all i found was links to sites that sell the same bearings i already know about) so thats why CCI's bearings are the most tempting option, as they explain the exact very issue i am having, what causes it and what they have done to prevent it from happening again.

I certainly dont have the detective skills to figure that sort of thing out, all i can do is search for "capri rear wheel bearings" and base my decision based on what seems best from those results.

Trust me, if i knew for a certainty that those cheaper bearings you suggested for £26.95 arent gonna fail again in another 3 years i'd much rather buy those. Im not flush with dosh in the best of circumstances so to save that much would make me very happy, however they look and sound scarily similar to the ones i already have on the car so im very weary of them.

I guess i could cancel my CCI order, buy one of those cheaper kits and when it arrives check to make sure it has the correct raised lip and if it does then all will be good i suppose, and if not i can claim its not the correct part and not fit for purpose etc etc.

As you have them fitted to your Capri, i assume you have had no issues with leakage on your rear brake drums?

Edit: I also found these, from Tickover, far cheaper than whats listed on their own site...interesting. Based on the picture it looks correct too. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291867350735? ... EBIDX%3AIT
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

No, I mean if you`re happy leave it; at the end of the day I`m sure the CCI part will be fine and I`m sure you just want to get on with it. You`ve got enough on your plate, I understand that. I only posted as, i don`t know, information purposes.
I`m a sad bastard with a whole pile of old part catalogues on my computer - which does help with these things...
Fords finis No 5007034
The SKF part No for anyone interested is 361971ce, that is the O.E. part, as supplied to Ford.
QH. qwb151c - certainly `used to` contain the proper SKF part, but obviously i can`t guarantee that now (tempted to buy one just to see. Nah, not really!)
Arya2.0S wrote:As you have them fitted to your Capri, i assume you have had no issues with leakage on your rear brake drums?
I`ve fitted QH to other cars with no problems; I actually still have the original bearings fitted on Capri, but I do have the genuine Ford part (I bought up key spares when it was still possible from Ford, as I knew even then what a load of shit aftermarket parts could be. Ironic or what? I have a motorcraft part and a QH part, both identical, both SKF. I`d happily use either in the event of a failure. So you see where I`m coming from.

BTW the tickover one you linked to does look right, it`s got the lipped seal, but it`s an unknown brand so.... who knows?
Stick with the CCI bearing and focus on your cam followers... :roll:
All the best!
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

stevemarl wrote:No, I mean if you`re happy leave it; at the end of the day I`m sure the CCI part will be fine and I`m sure you just want to get on with it. You`ve got enough on your plate, I understand that. I only posted as, i don`t know, information purposes.
I`m a sad bastard with a whole pile of old part catalogues on my computer - which does help with these things...
Fords finis No 5007034
The SKF part No for anyone interested is 361971ce, that is the O.E. part, as supplied to Ford.
QH. qwb151c - certainly `used to` contain the proper SKF part, but obviously i can`t guarantee that now (tempted to buy one just to see. Nah, not really!)
Arya2.0S wrote:As you have them fitted to your Capri, i assume you have had no issues with leakage on your rear brake drums?
I`ve fitted QH to other cars with no problems; I actually still have the original bearings fitted on Capri, but I do have the genuine Ford part (I bought up key spares when it was still possible from Ford, as I knew even then what a load of shit aftermarket parts could be. Ironic or what? I have a motorcraft part and a QH part, both identical, both SKF. I`d happily use either in the event of a failure. So you see where I`m coming from.

BTW the tickover one you linked to does look right, it`s got the lipped seal, but it`s an unknown brand so.... who knows?
Stick with the CCI bearing and focus on your cam followers... :roll:
All the best!
No no, you're right it's cool and I appreciate the help and info.
What I'm going to do is cancel my CCI order and get one of these cheaper ones you recommended and see, mainly out of curiosity than anything now. Besides, if the cheaper ones do have the correct seal etc well that's a huge saving, hell I can buy another bearing for the other side with that money and still have some change left over!
You gotta do what it takes to save money in this day and age ya know? Plus I thought the price CCI was charging was a little on the high side anyway so I'm more than ok to wait and see. As long as it does the job and not leak that's all i care about.
If I get one however and it doesn't have the right seal, it's no biggie I'll just send it back and reorder the CCI one.
At least that way I'll know for sure ;)
Regarding my followers, I'm having my mechanical Stig have a look on Tuesday (hopefully), he doesn't reckon it's anything major and is just a case of fine tuning required so fingers crossed.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

If you can cancel without loss then yes, I`d do it. In fact if both sides were done at the same time, you`ll probably be needing to do the other side at some point. You`d be looking at £50 total rather than £120. If you do do that, make sure you get one where it specifies it`s QH, QWB151c, and the OEM finis No. If they then try to palm you off with a different make etc, you can demand refund. I`ve had parts from these I`m sure: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-Wheel-Be ... Swj85YN~bL
And please let us know what comes in the box (part Nos etc stamped into edge of outer race on one side.)
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

http://www.burtonpower.com/wheel-bearin ... bk023.html
I have these in my car , they do come with the lip on the seal :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

stevemarl wrote:If you can cancel without loss then yes, I`d do it. In fact if both sides were done at the same time, you`ll probably be needing to do the other side at some point. You`d be looking at £50 total rather than £120. If you do do that, make sure you get one where it specifies it`s QH, QWB151c, and the OEM finis No. If they then try to palm you off with a different make etc, you can demand refund. I`ve had parts from these I`m sure: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-Wheel-Be ... Swj85YN~bL
And please let us know what comes in the box (part Nos etc stamped into edge of outer race on one side.)
Yep, cancelled the order this morning with no hassles. I'm gonna order one of the bearings you've suggested and go from there. If they are correct i'll order another one and preemptively get the other side sorted even though its not leaking at the moment, it likely will at some point.

Thanks a bunch! I'll keep you updated.
Mc Tool wrote:http://www.burtonpower.com/wheel-bearin ... bk023.html
I have these in my car , they do come with the lip on the seal :)
Thats good to know, but they dont specify what brand they are so i'll stick with the QH ones for now just to keep things simple. Thanks anyway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Tickover also state that their bearing does have the correct seal.
£30 including postage, which for some reason is cheaper than their own website (£34 + postage) :? .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-At ... 2043476017

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
Tickover also state that their bearing does have the correct seal.
£30 including postage, which for some reason is cheaper than their own website (£34 + postage) :? .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-At ... 2043476017

Andrew.
I know, odd that one huh? I spotted that the other day, strange.
Though... They don't mention a brand on the eBay auction so a little dubious...Though they do state on their site they get thier bearings from QH and First line and send out basically whatever is available so would rather not treat it like a lucky dip and go for the person who outright states their bearings are the QH ones and go from there.
:)
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

After your man has very carefully ground away the inner bearing race (being sure not to go through too far & grind into the half-shaft) and after taking it all apart to clean it etc. Make sure the locating plate is put back on the correct way before the new bearing is pressed onto the shaft.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

I dont think these are going to work:

I dont see any raised lip anywhere, so these are more than likely whats already on the car and have failed in only 3 years...well, ar at least letting the grease through.
These are Quinton Hazell QWB151C, theres a number stamped on one side as seen in this photo:

So looks like my fears are confirmed.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote:I dont think these are going to work
Hi,
No, the rubber lip does not look as though it is raised. Note that even on the correct bearings, the outboard side looks like the middle photo.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:I dont think these are going to work
Hi,
No, the rubber lip does not look as though it is raised. Note that even on the correct bearings, the outboard side looks like the middle photo.

Andrew.
Yep thats what i thought. Looks like i will be sending these back then. No big deal, i was expecting to have to do so anyway, at least this way i know for sure these are definitely not fit for purpose and maybe this thread will pop up next time someone else has the same issue and they can avoid these same bearings since they obviously arent the right ones despite the manufacturer stating otherwise.

I'll be getting the ones from Tickover's ebay page i reckon, just going to make sure with them via a message that the ones they sell include the lip. I know the auction states so, but id rather have written proof of that from an actual person.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote: I know the auction states so, but id rather have written proof of that from an actual person.
That might be wise, as the photo in the Tickover listing looks exactly the same as the bearing in your photo. Although, the bearing on the Tickover advice page looks correct. It certainly won't do any harm to double check with them before you buy.
http://www.tickover.co.uk/news_bearings.htm

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote: I know the auction states so, but id rather have written proof of that from an actual person.
That might be wise, as the photo in the Tickover listing looks exactly the same as the bearing in your photo. Although, the bearing on the Tickover advice page looks correct. It certainly won't do any harm to double check with them before you buy.
http://www.tickover.co.uk/news_bearings.htm

Andrew.
Yes exactly, they might just be using a generic image for the auction like many people do.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I`m really sorry this seems to be the case, I feel responsible as I was sure the QH ones would (still) be alright. Lesson learned, it seems all suppliers now sink to the LCD; it`s all about getting the cheapest parts to maximise margins.. It`s a shame cos the seal in the first pic IS different to the plain one on the other side, and does seem as though it has a lip - but it`s just not standing proud of the outer race.... They did actually come in QH packaging not just a jiffy bag? Any other identiying marks on bearings, other than pcb19771215?
Really sorry. You shouldn`t have to go through all this shit just to get what is basically just the correct part.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

stevemarl wrote:I`m really sorry this seems to be the case, I feel responsible as I was sure the QH ones would (still) be alright. Lesson learned, it seems all suppliers now sink to the LCD; it`s all about getting the cheapest parts to maximise margins.. It`s a shame cos the seal in the first pic IS different to the plain one on the other side, and does seem as though it has a lip - but it`s just not standing proud of the outer race.... They did actually come in QH packaging not just a jiffy bag? Any other identiying marks on bearings, other than pcb19771215?
Really sorry. You shouldn`t have to go through all this shit just to get what is basically just the correct part.
No need to feel guilty dude, it was my decision at the end of the day and as I said I expected this anyway. At least now we know for sure and it's documented.
There's no other identifying marks that I could see, and I'm pretty eagle eyed with that sort of thing, and yes they came in a proper, branded box and everything.
Just sad people don't make/sell things properly.
If people took just a bit more care and attention to detail (sellers and especially big companies who make these things as they should know better given their so called expertise and resources) this sort of thing could easily be avoided, wether we're talking about bearings or any other kind of part.
All it takes is a bit of time, effort and research to make sure you are selling or making the correct part but nooo, why would anyone do that? The "e" word (effort) is something alot of people are scared of these days.
It would also make things easier if people actually responded to emails like actual human beings with a single brain cell in their head and not just copy and paste some bullshit automated response or didn't take forever to respond to a simple question, but again.... That's effort I suppose.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

From Burtons , I guess if your real paranoid about getting ripped to the tune of a raised ridge you could always email them to confirm
The ridge is only about 1.5mm high and the seal on this side is a proper oil seal with the little spring :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

At this point I`d have said `that looks spot on, Burton really are Ford specialists` etc.... but after the last fiasco I`m just gonna keep my gob shut from now on!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
The last bearings I bought were from Burton, and they were the correct type. The code on the packet is FBK023, which appears to be from Firstline.
You have to question why CCI would go to the trouble of having bespoke bearings manufactured if the correct type were available off the shelf.

Andrew.