Quick question regarding tappet noise

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Re: Quick question regarding tappet noise

Post by SmokeEm »

Lets hope it's not the start of VSR :crying:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

So, this happened:

http://vid1268.photobucket.com/albums/j ... 5nx9v3.mp4

The wonders of knowing a Mechanical Stig!
Valve clearances re-adjusted by someone who actually knows what they are doing using thou instead of mm and she purrs like a kitten. The mic on my phone isn't very good and doesn't do her justice, she sounds even better in real life! Absolutely no tappet sound even from a cold start, runs up to temperature without smoking or anything like that.

Noticed some very minor scoring on the cam which even when he pointed it out to me i still couldn't see it/feel it, but thats the difference between a trained eye and a novice. That said it doesn't seem to be affecting the running at all, so we seem to have got away with it. I'll likely swap out the cam in a year or two anyway for a performance one so its no big deal.

Cant express how chuffed i am with the way the engine sounds now! This is how ive always wanted it to sound ever since i first got the car, yet alone since putting this engine in.
Now to clean up that filthy engine bay lol.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

I was a bit naughty and shot a video while i was driving. The road is a private empty one and there wasnt anyone around so dont get your knickers in a twist if your a nanny state civil servant lol :P

The rattles you can hear are my fingers accidentally covering up most of the mic :doh: , and probably my disklok.

http://vid1268.photobucket.com/albums/j ... 1x6vr3.mp4

Words simply cannot describe how happy i am! This has to be the smoothest sounding Pinto.......... IN THE WORLD! :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Absolutely delighted for you!! That really does sound (and look) brilliant now.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

stevemarl wrote:Absolutely delighted for you!! That really does sound (and look) brilliant now.
I know! Thank you! Its beyond words really, never thought it (or any Pinto) could sound this good!! :applaud: :lmao:

Shame it wasn't something i could have fixed myself, feel like a bit of a wally brain after 3 attempts i still couldn't get the clearances right, but even my buddy (who got it sounding this way, hence forth known as Mechanical Stig) is a little stumped as to how it changed from sounding like this in the Transit it came out of, to sounding as bad as it did once we got it in the car before i started messing with it (i.e. making it worse lol). It was only due to the way it sounded that prompted me to start fiddling with the clearances in the first place.
Granted, i never actually saw or heard this engine running while it was in said Transit, only he did but i trust his word.

It did get thoroughly de-greased and cleaned with a pressure washer, totally stripped down and then sat around for a couple of months with no rocker cover on it in between taking it out of the Transit and putting into mine...maybe that had something to do with it?

Still, never mind its sorted now, just need to source a new PCV valve as the one on it seems to be knackered.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Is that it ? :xd: Just that I thought after mentioning the " private and empty " road we were going to see some wheelies and burnouts .... maybe even a bit of speeding .............but no :lol: ...........was your grannie in the passenger seat ? :xd:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Mc Tool wrote:
Is that it ? :xd: Just that I thought after mentioning the " private and empty " road we were going to see some wheelies and burnouts .... maybe even a bit of speeding .............but no :lol: ...........was your grannie in the passenger seat ? :xd:
Haha, Well i didnt want to push my luck. :lol:
I'm more than happy to encourage a bit of responsible hooning in a safe environment, but knowing my luck i'd start doing that and someone would come out of nowhere and end up hitting me, or a copper will show up or some other random, unlucky sod shit that could only happen to me so i dont like to chance it...especially not with my luck lately, and not after i just got the car repaired and running how i want it ;) :woot: (i did find a tiny spot of dirt and did a very very tiny, baby-fart sized burnout, but it wasnt worth filming :lol:)

To be honest, ever since the accident i have been driving a bit like a granny...at least more defensively and not taking any unnecessary risks...not that the accident was my fault to start with or due to my bad driving (thats 100% on the other twat), but i'm still very gun shy about doing anything that increase the risks of hurting my baby still.

Surprisingly there really arent many places you can do anything like that around here, the "man" clamped down on anyone having any sort of fun in Basildump ages ago (not like the old days), so everything is closed off or blockaded at night, or is infested with CCTV cameras just itching to get your reg plate the second you even think of having any fun because ya know, cant be having that, oh no siree! :wank: :wank: :wank: