MOT Failure/Fixes

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
HampshireCapri
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

MOT Failure/Fixes

Post by HampshireCapri »

My Capri failed it's MOT last weekend, requires a patch of welding which a friend of mine is able to do.

However it also failed for reg plate lights not working and rear fog lamp not working. I've taken out and replaced both of the bulbs for the reg plate light as well as the fog light bulbs, but to no avail as they're still not working at all.

Additionally when I press the button to put my fog lights on the button itself doesn't illuminate as it should, whereas the rear heated window button next to it does illuminate.

I'm assuming this can either be a wiring issue or a fuse issue now, is anyone able to advise which fuses I'm to be looking at replacing for both? Unfortunately my Haynes Manual has gone walkabout.

It also failed for emissions but I'm hoping adjusting the mixture and giving it a longer run about before re test might fix this. I was recommended some fuel cleaner as well which I haven't bought - anyone able to recommend whether these work?

I drive a 1981 MK3 1.6 L model.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: MOT Failure/Fixes

Post by stevemarl »

I have fuse No2 as the number plate bulbs and rear fog.
As far as emissions, you`re probably best just adjusting the mixture, although if you`ve bought cleaner already it can`t do any harm.
Last edited by stevemarl on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Sorry to hear that your Capri has not passed the MOT, although it sounds like the fixes required are nice and easy.
The numberplate and fog lamps are both on fuse 2 (that's the one 2nd nearest to the bulkhead).
Try removing the fuse and giving the terminals a good clean before replacing it.

Andrew.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

The emissions are easy to sort.....the procedure for adjusting the idle mixture without a gas analyser has been detailed on here several times, do a search. If you follow the procedure it will pass the test BUT you MUST check plugs/points/ignition timing first. Attempting to sort the mixture without doing this is futile.
HampshireCapri
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

Post by HampshireCapri »

Think I might have found the problem, would I be right in thinking fuse 2 and 7 should probably have something actually connected to them? :cigar:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Hi Hampshire

No, most of the connections are under the fusebox inside the car.

With your number plates lights check that the screws holding them on are clean and rust free as they earth through the screws.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

So, did it work and has it passed the MOT ?