Fine Line

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
B7ADA
Car(s): 1979 Mk 3 T Reg Gold Capri

Fine Line

Post by B7ADA »

There is a fine line in keeping it original & doing something about it with regards earl rust at what point do we recon it's time to act ? Keep it original as long as possible or nip it in the bud ? Your thoughts guys & indeed ladies ?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Fine Line

Post by stevemarl »

Unless I`ve really misunderstood the question, rust should be treated immediately, it`s never a good idea to leave it as once established it will spread rapidly, often unseen.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Once detected, eliminate it ASAP! Rust will not cease to continue eating away at the car. Its like a cancer, and until it gets treated it will just continue to get worse until eventually it could prove fatal.

What is the point in originality if the rust gets so bad the car isnt drive-able or worth anything at the end of the day?

Get it sorted ASAP! Just do a good job of it.
B7ADA

Post by B7ADA »

Suggestions on how to treat it welcome .... this is for a car I am considering buying ! Thanks in advance.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

If it really IS only surface rust, Bilt-Hamber or Jenolite supply a gel which will effectively destroy rust (may need to leave on for a day or so if badly pitted) and leave a chemically cleasn surface ready for paint. Most often though the serious rust is coming out from the inside; this will need to be cut out and new metal welded in, really anything else is a waste of time. Amazes me how many cars are described as `only surface rust, easily sorted`.... we know otherwise! (Try poking the `surface rust` with a key.)
Rust is an absolute bastard and is why 99.9% of these cars have gone.
B7ADA

Post by B7ADA »

Cheers much appreciated !
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

For harmless surface rust (providing that's only what it is) I have used a product called "Deox gel" basically same sort of thing as the above suggestions, but gives you something else to look out for if you can't find them.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Arya2.0S wrote:I have used a product called "Deox gel" basically same sort of thing as the above suggestions,
Very much so - it`s the Bilt Hamber gel I was talking about :lol: http://www.bilthamber.com/deox-gel
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Once you've cleaned and treated the rust as best as you can put some zinc based primer over it. I use Zinc 182 - brush several coats on as per instructions and then sand back flat. There are many other makes, Bilt Hamner, Galvafroid and all can be primed and painted after sanding smooth.

The Zinc acts as a sacrificial coating and really does hold back the rust.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

stevemarl wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:I have used a product called "Deox gel" basically same sort of thing as the above suggestions,
Very much so - it`s the Bilt Hamber gel I was talking about :lol: http://www.bilthamber.com/deox-gel
Haha, didn't realise it was the same stuff. Never paid attention to the labels just thought the brand was "deox gel". My bad.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

I bought the Bilt Hammer stuff and wasn't impressed..... In fact I'd say it was totally useless, perhaps I had a bad batch. Anyway this is what I've started to use now http://www.rust.co.uk/fe-123-rust-converter/c28125/ and it gets my vote :)

All the best
Neil
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Are all these rust convertors being mentioned, along with Jenolite, Krust, etc. basically all the same thing.

And after applying it, is it common practice to then simply sand, fill and paint.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul, they all work differently I think. I know the Jenolite is dil. phosphoric acid whereas the Bilt Hamber is claimed to be non-acidic (better for eyes) so I`ve no idea how that works! Both however WILL remove every trace of oxide even from pitting - if left long enough. I`ve tried other treatments in the past, many of which claim to `convert rust to an inert coating that protects forever` etc, etc, non of which worked that well - scgrape the black off and the rust`s still there! Nowt works as well as getting back to clean metal and starting again.

If anyone doubts the Bilt Hambers efficacy, here, as they say, is one I did earlier:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=47861&p=315155&hil ... ys#p315155
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Steve. I do remember that thread of yours and had it in mind whilst reading this one. Truly remarkable what it did there. I have been dubious in the past when I've experimented with Jenolite, it seemed to coat everything in black, almost like a paint. Whereas Kurust, with it being a far thinner watery substance seems to run/absorb into the rust and change it. Don't have much experience with the other ones.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

pbar wrote:when I've experimented with Jenolite, it seemed to coat everything in black, almost like a paint
That sounds like any number of `Kills Rust - DEAD!!!` treatments :lol: It may be that they now do different products, I`m thinking back (probably decades now I think; where does it all go.....) when they just made a liquid and a gel, both of which were based on phosphoric and eventually dissolved the rust, leaving a clean surface for primer.
Unless the black was a carbon residue due to the ferrous compounds being removed from steel leaving the carbon content behind?
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Unless the black was a carbon residue due to the ferrous compounds being removed from steel leaving the carbon content behind?
I don't know what reaction was created, but the Jenolite was a gloopy pink gel that you smeared on. And when it dried the metal become a thick black paint-like appearance, yes perhaps carbon-ish now you mention it. Whereas the Kurust I've used was very watery and seemed to work it's way into the rust and again turned it black but left nothing behind.

I must admit that I am dubious to the effectiveness of some of these, it's a bit like protein drinks for bodybuilders, do they actually do anything. No one can deny how great the Bilt Hamber worked on that thread of yours though.
B7ADA

Post by B7ADA »

Fantastic replies here guys I'm amazed you guys are so fascinated by rust haha !
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

B7ADA wrote:Fantastic replies here guys I'm amazed you guys are so fascinated by rust haha !

We're well used to it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
pbar

Post by pbar »

B7ADA wrote:Fantastic replies here guys I'm amazed you guys are so fascinated by rust haha !
It's constantly on your mind when you have an old car!

One of the most amazing things I've seen recently is what this member has done to his car, without any welding he has turned his car completely around -

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50805