Are 2.8i specials tail happy..

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Notepad12
Car(s): 2.8i

Are 2.8i specials tail happy..

Post by Notepad12 »

Compared to the normal 2.8i's? Or does the LSD sort it out abit?

Sorry if it's an obvious answer :oops:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: Are 2.8i specials tail happy..

Post by Arya2.0S »

An LSD will make it more manageable in a drift once you lose it, depending on your skill level.
Some people say they prefer an open diff when the rear end slides out, others prefer and LSD.
Ultimately its still a Capri and an LSD isnt going to drastically change the characteristics of the rear suspension or how it deals with weight transfer, or the amount of weight pushing down on the rear wheels giving it grip all that much.
That will still be down to the suspension and tyres at the end of the day, and last i checked a 2.8I, even the brooklands is still using leaf springs with a live rear axle sooo.....yeah, wont make that much of a difference, unless it has a x-frame axle location kit installed and even then its not going to be a transcendent difference with the LSD.
If anything due to the increase in HP and torque they'll be even more tail happy, depending on how you drive of course.
If your sensible the car will act sensible just like anything else.
At the end of the day its gonna be down to how much talent is behind the wheel that will be the most defining factor.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Some paving slabs and builders sand and a bag of cement always worked wonders in the boot of my Dad's 3.0 injection.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Major_Tom wrote:Some paving slabs and builders sand and a bag of cement always worked wonders in the boot of my Dad's 3.0 injection.
Heard this a lot myself, I call BS though as it'll only make the pendulum effect even worse (big, heavy unstable load flying around in the back), not to mention ruin your MPG.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Major_Tom wrote:in the boot of my Dad's 3.0 injection.
There`s a clue there..... :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Major_Tom wrote:Some paving slabs and builders sand and a bag of cement always worked wonders in the boot of my Dad's 3.0 injection.
Did you know that back in the day, Ford dealers could actually supply a lump of concrete that was shaped to fit in the spare wheel well.. :whistle:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Did you know that back in the day, Ford dealers could actually supply a lump of concrete that was shaped to fit in the spare wheel well.. :whistle:
I would need factual evidence, even photographic proof before i believe this.
You're telling me Ford dealerships, or even Ford factories went into the investment of buying heavy concrete slabs and paid qualified people to cut said slabs in the exact specific shape of the spare wheel well and fit them into the back of the car as an "optional extra"?!
How did the spare wheel fit in there with the slab as well then, since theres not a massive amount of room left with just the wheel and tyre in there, and i'd imagine to make it have any effect this special slab would have to be pretty thick?!
Also how was this regulated and approved by the government to meet safety standards at the time, and how the hell did they deal with the bad press it would have given the car, not to mention get around the way it would have severely affected the performance and MPG figures by adding extra dead weight?
Image the tsunami of bad press and reviews that would have come out in major publications, news papers, magazines, car shows etc after Ford promised everyone "the car you always promised yourself" or in the 2.8I's case "goes like lightning", yeah lightning with half of B&Q's masonry dept stuck in the back.
Imagine the headline: "Ford's Capri handles so badly they offer paving slabs as optional extras to help improve rear end stability".
Please.
Not calling you a liar or having a go or anything dude, but i think you've fallen for an old myth as "truth", like some people believe in the Loch Ness monster, or the Moon landing was faked etc.
I just cant see this being true...I mean....come on! I can buy the putting a bag of sand in the boot thing at your own discretion but to have an actual dealer ask a customer "Oi, you want the paving slab performance handling package? We're doing a special offer this week!" is just taking it a bit too far for me lol.
But then again....Donald Trump is currently sitting in the White House so stranger things have happened...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:
You're telling me Ford dealerships, or even Ford factories went into the investment of buying heavy concrete slabs and paid qualified people to cut said slabs in the exact specific shape of the spare wheel well and fit them into the back of the car as an "optional extra"?!
How did the spare wheel fit in there with the slab as well then, since theres not a massive amount of room left with just the wheel and tyre in there, and i'd imagine to make it have any effect this special slab would have to be pretty thick?!
Also how was this regulated and approved by the government to meet safety standards at the time, and how the hell did they deal with the bad press it would have given the car, not to mention get around the way it would have severely affected the performance and MPG figures by adding extra dead weight?
Image the tsunami of bad press and reviews that would have come out in major publications, news papers, magazines, car shows etc after Ford promised everyone "the car you always promised yourself" or in the 2.8I's case "goes like lightning", yeah lightning with half of B&Q's masonry dept stuck in the back.
Imagine the headline: "Ford's Capri handles so badly they offer paving slabs as optional extras to help improve rear end stability".
Please.
Not calling you a liar or having a go or anything dude, but i think you've fallen for an old myth as "truth", like some people believe in the Loch Ness monster, or the Moon landing was faked etc.
I just cant see this being true...I mean....come on! I can buy the putting a bag of sand in the boot thing at your own discretion but to have an actual dealer ask a customer "Oi, you want the paving slab performance handling package? We're doing a special offer this week!" is just taking it a bit too far for me lol.
But then again....Donald Trump is currently sitting in the White House so stranger things have happened...
I wasn't being serious.
andy a
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '69 Mk1 Capri 1300 Daily (now gone to a new owner)

73 Facelift 2000 GT long term project...

Post by andy a »

I preferred the Brocklane Ghia myself...
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
If they had it may have helped prevent rust :lol:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: I wasn't being serious.
So mine's not original then :(
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:
Please.
I wasn't being serious.
Lol, that's what I thought, but this is the internet so you can never be TOO sure. ;-)
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Peter-S wrote:
Look for the "Marshalls" brand name stamped on it, worth more that way especially if you added the Flintstones brakes upgrade ;-).
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Peter-S wrote:
Hi Peter,
I know how you feel. I was going to buy a NOS one off Ebay for £200, but I have my doubts that it is a genuine Ford item.... :)

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Peter-S wrote:
Hi Peter,
I know how you feel. I was going to buy a NOS one off Ebay for £200, but I have my doubts that it is a genuine Ford item.... :)

Andrew.
Blue Oval Cement :lol: :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Blue Oval Cement :lol: :lol:
Class!
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Blue Oval Cement :lol: :lol:
Class!
Isn't that called "body filler"? ;)
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

This thread is a cracker :lol:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Major_Tom wrote:This thread is a cracker :lol:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SNzhdnhlyc4/hqdefault.jpg