2k paint spray cans

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Pageyboy
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8 special (restoration project)

2k paint spray cans

Post by Pageyboy »

Hi guys I'm new member so hello. I'm thinking of doing my engine bay and boot floor myself to save some cash and tidy Capri up a bit. Has anybody ever used these 2k spray cans they look great but wondering what the finish is like and how everybody got on with the chemicals they produce
Anyway nice to be here and if anybody has any experience with these paints good or bad it would be to hear your thoughts.
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Re: 2k paint spray cans

Post by Stish704 »

Welcome mate. Not got a clue about spray cans but I'm sure you'll find out soon enough! :xd:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Ive been using spray cans for ages for a multitude of jobs and rarely had any problems.
I've found the key component is in the prep work and in your technique when using the paint, not necessarily just up to the spray can/product itself.
Like any paint job, the most important part is the prep work.
Make sure everything is clean and prepared (some pre-wipe/panel wipe is a great way to make sure everything's clean) and masked up properly and im sure any decent product that isnt bought for silly cheap money (like from a pound store or something) will give a decent result.
Also dont go too heavy with your coats.
Spray cans are mostly thinners so apply light and even coats (pay attention to the directions printed on the can for specific details) and you should be fine.
Ive never used 2k spray cans but since its 2k be sure to wear a very good mask and do it in a well ventilated area and give the paint plenty of time to dry before touching it, unmasking or doing anything else.
It should give a better, more durable finish than a normal spray can but it'll be more toxic and might take longer to dry, apart from that i cant see the process of using it being that much different than normal.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

A big warm welcome, mate.... :wave:
Never used the 2k cans but had great results over the years with cans in general.
Like Arya2.0S say's, prep is critical...........conditions too. :goodluck:
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Thanks guys. I have never used spray cans but I have been watching a few YouTube videos and yes looks a case of prep it properly and it should come up ok hopefully ha ha. I come across this 2k stuff and thought that looks the business and wondered if anybody had any experience with it. What I have read out it says it basically drys quicker and 8 minutes between coats. Definitely going to give it a try tidy a few bits up until I can afford a decent job. Thanks for taking the time to reply pretty sure u will all be fed up with me asking for advice before to long ha ha :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

TBH my understanding was that 2K paint meant 2 components (Komponenten) i.e. paint and hardener which are mixed just prior to use and set by a chemical reaction (therefore quicker than solvent flashing.) I don`t know how this is achieved in a single can?

As said previously, the prep is by far the most important factor with any type of paint.
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Ye that's it is !! They are special cans and u twist the a key in the bottom and it realises the hardner into the paint can and you shake can for 2 min and your ready to go. They only last day or so before they go off once you have mixed them :-)
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

NEW BIGGER 300ML SIZE!!!
2K High Build Primer
Our 2k high build primer has very good adhesion onto bare metal and most types of plastics, it is Isocyanate free with genuine two pack technology and has a long pot life 4 days with a very quick dry time.
2K spray cans are the latest advancement in paint technology; each can comes complete with curing agent and solvent built into the can, giving a harder wearing, smoother finish, which is more resistant to petrol, sunlight and acid rain. They do not dull down as quickly as conventional 1K cans.
Please remember to wear a NOSH approved spray mask as they contain isocyanides.
To release these agents into the can, simply remove the plunger from the can lid, place it over the nozzle at the bottom of the can and press firmly to release the hardener into the can. Shake for 2 minutes and then you’re ready to spray, just like the professionals.
2 k spray cans
THE UNIQUE VARI-NOZZLE
All of our 2k aerosols are now fitted with the new unique Vari-nozzle. The vari nozzle gives the user full control of the fan spray width and the orientation (horizontal or vertical) from the same nozzle. This provides greater flexibility and brings the aerosol spray performance much nearer to an HVLP spray gun.
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

This was the advert from 1 I had been looking at and you get primer paint and clear coat all with the same technology. Don't no if they will do my colour as it's still to cold up here in Scotland for painting outdoors !!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Sounds a good idea, will be interested to see how it turns out. I assume the isocyanate content must be quite low, because the paint manufacturers always used to say a full face mask with external air supply was essential with 2k. Most people would be fine with small exposure - BUT apparently some people can be hyper-sensitive and can go into respiratory arrest and die on ONE exposure. I`d certainly wait for summer & do it outside!
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Don't ever worry about asking questions, Pageyboy, no matter how trivial it may be.........they're a good bunch on here and a wealth of knowledge when it comes to all things Capri shaped....and automotive in general :helpinghand:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

stevemarl wrote:Sounds a good idea, will be interested to see how it turns out. I assume the isocyanate content must be quite low, because the paint manufacturers always used to say a full face mask with external air supply was essential with 2k. Most people would be fine with small exposure - BUT apparently some people can be hyper-sensitive and can go into respiratory arrest and die on ONE exposure. I`d certainly wait for summer & do it outside!
Wow really? I've been using 2k (in very small amounts, the occasional hobby project here, occasional Capri respray there) for years and never had an air fed mask and never had a problem. I use a face mask with filters of course and always had a well ventilated area to work in with extractor fans and that's been fine. Wouldn't do it on a regular basis like that of course and if I were I'd invest in a proper air fed mask but those are super expensive and when you are only doing the occasional project now and then and are working to a strict budget then what can you do?
Anyway not to get off topic, these 2k cans sound good, I always prefer 2k over cellulose due to its superior finish and how well it polishes up once it cures. I'm sure you'll be fine, just follow the instructions and paint in a nice warm area or if you don't have a climate controlled garage wait for a nice warm day and you should be good. If it's too cold the paint will "bloom" and you don't want that!