Brake servo rebuild

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Capriscott
Car(s): Ford Capri Laser 2.0 9 (almost complete restoration)

Brake servo rebuild

Post by Capriscott »

Hi, I'm guessing my servo has just died on me as it seems to let a rush of air out whenever I apply the brakes. I have some idea that the servo has been crimped around the edge so making it a little tricky to take apart!!!

Has anyone got some experience of a rebuild??

Does anyone know of a place to send it to for a refurbishment??

Thanks
Rumble
Rumble
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Brake servo rebuild

Post by stevemarl »

Your best bet would be Caprigear, who must have a few good ones about. I think the 2 halves of the casing are actually a bayonet fitting - but there`s a VERY strong spring inside so it needs care. Plus you`d have to source a new diaphragm.

I contacted these people with a view to refurbing my spare, 7 years ago, and was quoted £140. Also was quoted £300 +vat for a new unit somewhere else - but I doubt you`d find a new one at all now?
http://www.classiccar-brakes.co.uk/index.htm

Hello Steve and thanks for your enquiry.

The cost for a complete rebuild of your
Girling servo is £140.00 plus VAT and carriage this includes all new internal parts and stainless steel re-sleeving of the alloy cylinder.

At present we are quoting approximately 3-4 weeks turn round as we are extremely busy.

If you require any further information please contact us again.

Regards
Roy Trevor
Contract Auto Engineering Ltd
Capriscott

Post by Capriscott »

Brilliant this sounds perfect. Thank you very much for a quick response.

Rumble
Rumble
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Nice one Steve,

I was very interested in this thread as I am thinking of getting my servo looked during 2017 as even though me and John pretty much replaced the braking system last summer on my Laser, new rear cylinders, drums, shoes, adjusters adjusted, new brake line and master cylinder :) , I still have what I believe to be a bit too much "travel" before the brakes kick in properly, although having said this John had advised wait until the rears have bedded in more as the pedal should come up a bit more, so I need to get driving !! I must say though, they do seem better than before for sure but I still have this "travel" which is a tad worrying sometimes. Don't get me wrong they do stop the Capri and they always fly through the MOT (tempting fate now :shock: ) so I shall wait and see how they do over the next few months, but as we replaced 90% of the braking system I am thinking a Servo rebuild/repalcement might be worth it too ? That's a very reasonable price from that company you linked to Steve., especially looking at the price of that new one you were quoted (if you can get them now!) and some of the ones I seen on ebay for £70 ish I would not waste my money on and they look battered and with "untested" description it would be stupid to chance it. Nope, If I do decide to replace/refurbish mine I will definitely contact Martin first then if no joy that company you linked to seems a very good alternative Steve.

Scott, please let us know what you decide to do with your Servo, as I am sure this will be very helpful for others thinking of doing the same :wave:

:goodluck:

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Isn't there a 'bolt in' swap from another vehicle?............where have I heard Land Rover from? :headscratch:
Have I dreamt it?.................

Is there a way of testing the servo while its out off the car?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

timfromull wrote:sn't there a 'bolt in' swap from another vehicle?............where have I heard Land Rover from? :headscratch:
I think the LR master cylinder will fit, and maybe with a different bore gives more `leverage`? Never heard of the servo being used though.
Fordoholic Nick wrote:I still have what I believe to be a bit too much "travel" before the brakes kick in properly,
The servo helps to `push` the piston into the master cylinder, so I`d have thought a faulty one would give LESS assistance and therefore less travel. Can`t remember if the pushrod is adjustable, cos that could take out some play? Only guessing.
As said, until brakes are bedded in they will be a little more spongey. You can test the servo; start engine to build up the vacuum, then turm it off and press brake pedal several times. The first 2 or 3 pushes should be quite springy with some travel. Pushes then getting harder and harder, with a lot less travel, as the reservoir of vacuum is depleted and the assistance fades.

Off the car I think you can only really check it holds vacuum, you`d just need a valve and some tube.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

stevemarl wrote:Can`t remember if the pushrod is adjustable, cos that could take out some play? Only guessing
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response mate. I just been doing some research on what you said and you are indeed correct. The servo pushrod can be adjusted on servos. You have to remove the master cylinder then grip part of the pushrod "outer" whilst using a ratchet to "turn out" the rod itself slightly. This is definately worth looking at Steve as John and myself did do a few checks on the servo when we did the brakes and it does certainly seem to work ok. This may well be the cause of my pedal travel but I will wait a bit longer for the rears to bed in. Thanks for the information.

All the best

Nick
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

A known-good second hand unit would be well worth investing in if one became available as they're probably the one thing that will take your car off the road that can't really be easily fixed, swapped or botched with bits from your garage.

For pedal travel - try using the handbrake regularly for a few yards before stopping, where it's safe to do so - always depress the ratched button for a quick release if needed. The rears hardly get much force under normal steady town use so can take ages to bed in. An occasional pull at speed will help and also show any imbalance that could mean a sticking lever & mot fail.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

nigecapri wrote:A known-good second hand unit would be well worth investing in if one became available as they're probably the one thing that will take your car off the road that can't really be easily fixed, swapped or botched with bits from your garage.

For pedal travel - try using the handbrake regularly for a few yards before stopping, where it's safe to do so - always depress the ratched button for a quick release if needed. The rears hardly get much force under normal steady town use so can take ages to bed in. An occasional pull at speed will help and also show any imbalance that could mean a sticking lever & mot fail.
Thanks for your advice Nige.

Yep I will def give the rears more time to bed in mate. Its very interesting though to know that the pushrod can actually be adjusted. Might be worth looking at this too. Next month I do hope to drive up to see my parents in West Yorkshire in the Laser (weather permitting-fingers crossed) so this round trip will put some miles on the rears ! Funny you should mention the handbrake cause John mentioned this too, so every chance I get I pull it on now even if only for a couple of secs. I did also get into a bad habit of leaving the handbrake off when parking up in the garage but John told me off for doing this :lol: Ok if car being left for a long time but not as I was doing !

Think me and John are will also check to confirm that the front calipers are not backing off. By the time we are finished we will have replaced/inspected the complete system so hopefully will get to the bottom if it. Its been a great education for me...and still is ! :)

All the best

Nick
scotomic
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (Restoration Project)

Post by scotomic »

I have managed to find a 2.8i servo and will be picking it up this weekend!!! i am going to bench test it but am not sure on the vacuum pressure i will need!?! anybody have any ideas???
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Why have you bought a 2.8i servo when you have a 2.0 ? The 2.8i servo runs a different master cylinder to the other Capris.
Unless you have a master cylinder on your 2.8i servo you will have to get the correct one.
Capriscott

Post by Capriscott »

Yes got a complete servo with master cylinder now to test and give it a rebuild.

I will also take my 2.0 servo off and do the same. I am thinking that the diaphragm will have broken I some way so will have a look and try and send it off to the professionals!!

Will let everyone know how it goes.

P.s. I have two accounts so the one from Scotomic is also me. I will be deleting that soon. Didn't realise my computer and phone were on different accounts.
Rumble
Capriscott

Post by Capriscott »

Well i have been in contact with a company called J&L Spares Export and they can rebuild or repair my servo for me. Here is my email exchange with them with the prices. Hope this might help anyone who will need a servo repaired.

I have a ford Capri mk3 1986 Laser and have removed my servo. I was having problems with my brakes and finally but unfortunately have found the problem. When inspecting the servo i seems to have many pieces rattling around inside. The rattling is a plastic about 2mm thick which has shattered.

Is it at all possible to send off my servo to you to be overhauled?

Can i purchase the parts from you if you have them in stock?

Hi Scott.
Send it to us we should be able to help you with it.
Cost is £175 + VAT + carriage.

[email protected]
Rumble
sanandreas
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser

Post by sanandreas »

just found this thread about brake travel, as mine was the same.
check your bushes between the pedal and servo are both there and not worn, I had excessive travel too and upon inspection, found there was only 1 bush in the pin through the pedal, meaning the pin could cant, giving about an inch of travel before actuating the servo linkage. worth a look at least.
Capriscott

Post by Capriscott »

Very true i have only one side of my bush when i looked the other day. Looks like it was once a single bush but has worn out to two and then i have lost the other half.

No idea where i can purchase one though.
Rumble
sanandreas
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser

Post by sanandreas »

tickover have them, should be 2 piece bushes, one either side.
classicwhitey
Car(s): 2.1 Laser

Post by classicwhitey »

Hi guys, i took my servo off last night as it has lost its ability to pull a vacume. after splitting the case i can find no evidence of damage to the rubber diaphragm . i cant seem to dismatle the internals any further to have a look at the seals on the end of the pushrod.
would anyone know how to take the centre section apart?
thanks
Rob.