Which coil should I buy?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
dan the capri fan
Car(s): Black 1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser.
Imperial Red 1983 Ford Capri 2.0S (concors winner).
Silver 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec, daily driver.

Which coil should I buy?

Post by dan the capri fan »

Hi everyone I need a new coil for my 1.6 pinto engined capri as what looks like the original bosch one for the car has finally given up. I got in my capri today after taking her winter cover off her to take her out for a spin as I haven't driven her since October and I really fancied a drive in her. So cranked her over fine plenty of battery power as I always disconnect it if I'm leaving the car for long periods of time and she's got a 600 amp battery in her. Nothing not even any signs of wanting to start I thought it was a fuelling problem at first but noticed the carb was getting fuel to it through the filter. So I took a spark plug out and it smelt of fuel so I got my mum to crank the engine while I held the plug in the HT lead with pliers next to the engine lifting eye to see if there was a spark. But no spark. So I tried the same thing with the king lead from the coil and still no spark. So I'm guessing the coil has gone. My question is what's the most suitable coil to put in my capri as there's loads to choose from on eBay and I don't want to get the wrong one. I would like a performance coil as I've recently put a new dizzy cap, rotor arm, spark plugs and performance HT leads on her. But I read something about a ballast resistor having to be bypassed or something. If someone could help us choose thanks. :D
rafcapri
Car(s): Ford Capri 1600XL 1974

Re: Which coil should I buy?

Post by rafcapri »

Hey mate,I'm no expert but coils were something I looked into quite a bit in the last couple of months. From what I know mk1 capris are ballasted. So best to get a ballasted coil like the Bosch GT40R (R means resistor). The one without ie GT40 is for non ballasted or you'll need to bypass by taking power from a free 12/16A fuse from the fusebox. Question is, are you running electronic ignition or points? If you are and you want to get the most out of sports coil then I think you need to have a bigger gap for your sparkies as well. I am using that setup above but didnt really increase the spark plug gap. Still runs well.

Not sure if thats helpful. But If you like to stick to originality, get a ballasted coil be it sports coil or otherwise.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

The coil is 'signalled' to spark by the change in current when the points open and close.
You've got as far as the coil, but now you need to find out why it's not working.
If it was ok before, then I'd be looking at the points first and also checking for any other poor electrical connections.
Coils tend to fade away slowly, not just switch off one day. If you've had no other symptoms then I'd be looking down the electrical connection/points route first.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I'd agree with Bug - look at the points. Might just need a clean if any damp has got in over the last couple of months. And don't discount the condenser either.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Bug wrote:You've got as far as the coil, but now you need to find out why it's not working.
I`d agree, it`s much more likely a corroded joint or crap on the points than the coil has `gone` spontaneously while in stortage.
dan the capri fan

Sorry guys I forgot to mention my capri has a electronic ignition aid called luminition bolted near to the coil which has done away with the points and condenser. Also I've never had a problem with the electronic ignition system since owning the car for 6 years. I'll get some readings on my multi meter from the primary and secondary windings on the coil and I'll post them on here. :)
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Take a step back Dan mate.....the engine was running fine when you covered it up, and now it's not. Condensation has corroded a joint or plug, damp has got into the distributor somewhere (or maybe the lumenition unit) etc etc. So...work systematically. Check, clean and dry everything, all connections, all wires, inside the dizzy cap. spray everything liberally with wd40. If you are still getting nothing borrow a coil from another car and see what happens. If it starts then, you need a new coil. If not then the lumenition is dead, go back to points and you're sorted.

If you just go and buy an expensive coil and it doesn't sort it you are no further ahead.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

340truck wrote:Take a step back Dan mate.....the engine was running fine when you covered it up, and now it's not. Condensation has corroded a joint or plug, damp has got into the distributor somewhere (or maybe the lumenition unit) etc etc. So...work systematically. Check, clean and dry everything, all connections, all wires, inside the dizzy cap. spray everything liberally with wd40. If you are still getting nothing borrow a coil from another car and see what happens. If it starts then, you need a new coil. If not then the lumenition is dead, go back to points and you're sorted.

If you just go and buy an expensive coil and it doesn't sort it you are no further ahead.

Exactly!
Car was running fine. Now it's not.
Start simple and save a lot of money
Who knows, could learn a bit on the way too

Did it countless times in my mere 31 years of Capri ownership.
Every car had it's own idiosyncracies, but the time taken to find them not only saved a small fortune in pointless spares, but also made me look dead cool when I opened the bonnet, wiggled a random component and everything was fixed ;)
dan the capri fan

Ok I'll check and double check all the connections and use some contact cleaner or WD40 to clean all the connections up etc I'll clean inside the dizzy cap as well. As whats been said could be condensation because of the weather. I found a wire leading from the luminition unit to a 16 amp fuse at the fuse box but the fuse was fine I'll clean the connections on it though. I do have a spare coil which is very similar to the one in my capri which is in my ford sierra 1.8 cvh which I could use to test if it is the coil at fault. But would it be fine to use on my capri? As I can't risk the coil in my sierra breaking as I use it everyday to get to work and back. :)
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi Dan,

I've had this issue on 3 litre Capri that was also fitted with Lumintion, the wire you refer to, the one that goes to the fuse box was the culprit - bad connection on the fuse box spade connector, once cleaned up it ran perfect until the Lumintion unit failed, saw the price of a replacement...... went back to points and condenser!

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
dan the capri fan

Hi guys ive done some tests on my coil with my multi meter. My multi meter isn't calibrated to 0 or there's resistance in the wires as it was reading 1.6 ohms. So I tested the primary circuit first and got a reading of 2.6 on 200 ohms which I subtracted 1.6 ohms from to get 1.0 ohm to get a more accurate reading. Then I tested the secondary circuit and got 6.15 on 20k ohms which I again subtracted 1.6 ohms from to get 4.55 ohms to get a more accurate reading. Do these readings on my coil sound good or bad? Thanks
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

dan the capri fan wrote:and got 6.15 on 20k ohms
If it`s on the 20k range then it`s 6.15K or 6,150 ohms (which IIRC is about right for the secondary.)

Or 6,148.4 if you correct zero error.....
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Swap the coil, for the sierra one. It's highly unlikely you can hurt the sierra coil by running it in the Capri and you only need to see if it starts the engine.
Gaz-LS
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 LS rolling restoration. Golf gti 1.8 turbo as my daily car.

Post by Gaz-LS »

340truck wrote:Swap the coil, for the sierra one. It's highly unlikely you can hurt the sierra coil by running it in the Capri and you only need to see if it starts the engine.
Hi dan,I agree with above post try the coil off your sierra. Myself I think it most likely is the electronic set up you have on the car, condensation most likely got into it which I do believe can be a common thing when the car is left standing even after a few months.
dan the capri fan

Hi I'll take the coil off my Sierra this weekend to see if my capri starts. I'll keep you's posted with what happens. :)
dan the capri fan

Hi everyone good news I cleaned all the ignition connections up with contact cleaner and I cleaned and dryed out the dizzy cap. Then I put the coil on from my Sierra and my capri fired up off the button :) so I'm going to buy a new coil off eBay as when I put the old coil back on it wouldn't start so must of been the coil that's gone. Thanks for the help. :)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

dan the capri fan wrote:so I'm going to buy a new coil off eBay
Personally I would stay clear of the Intermotor ones Dan. I bought a new one once, seemed alright at first but the car would randomly cut out. Disconnecting the coil then reconnecting it would allow the car to start again. Jim on here, has also had troubles with this make.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Pbar, totally agree with you, Intermotor don't seem to be as good as they used to be, Dan, you could try the Bosch 'red coil' which is available from Burton power amongst others, from experience these are very reliable and offer a higher performance

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest