Capri wont start with bonnet shut

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Capri wont start with bonnet shut

Post by Mc Tool »

My Dad has a car that cost more than my house , bought new , he got the authorised dealer to fit a hidden radar detector before delivery . When it was just out of warranty the ABS thing started playing up intermitantly so back to the dealer ....... 6 times , he paid for 4 new wheel sensors ( not all fitted at one session ) a new abs controller and ( get this ) a passenger side air bag sensor , more than 6 grand so far and no better .......until they found where the ( dealer appointed ) radar installer had damaged the wiring harness , and you know the cunts wouldn't refund any money because a, it was so long ago , and b , coz the old ( ok ) parts had been chucked and thus couldn't be refitted, totally refused to accept responsibility.................so dumb , my Dad trades up to a new ( $200k-ish ) car every couple of years, but he wont be going back there
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Hope it's sorted! Bloody moronic these so called "professionals" didn't do such a small and simple thing that even I as a complete and utter numpty amateur knows is a vital necessity when doing jobs like that. Then again, I am the masking Zen master, I love doing it as it allows me to express my ocd tendancies and apply them to something productive for a change.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi Paul,

To be honest if it wasn't for the members on this site including yourself the car would have been parked up in my garage by now, out of sight out of mind kind of thing, I don't mind admitting I was beaten and the funds were not available for a pro to investigate the issue, the guy's on here spurred me on to get this sorted and although tickovers appear to have sorted the issue they did so with information and advice I had already gathered from the members of this site which I shared with them when I got there, so a collective effort from all got this resolved for which I would like to say thanks so so much and of course I hope you all have a great Christmas :cheers:

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi guys,

Quick update, turns out the car wasn't cured after all, tried to start her up on New year's eve and same crap again won't start with the bonnet shut, however I noticed that with the Essex V6 Bosch distributor cap the king lead tower sits higher than the Motorcraft Dizzy cap, low and behold the king lead had broke at the angled shape into the cap and with the bonnet fully shut the sound pad sat on it and broke the connection or severely interrupted it, hence the reason why it will start with the bonnet up, as soon as I changed the cap and ALL the leads she ran perfect.
Paul G did say in the first reply to my original question to check the HT leads, but for some stupid reason I only changed the leads from cap to the plugs and left the king lead alone, why I didn't change that lead as well I'll never know but you live and learn I guess
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Most things have a simple answer somewhere along the line. Glad / hope it's now fixed.

Paul.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Glad it's finally sorted, again. :-P
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

Ovvious when you think about it as on the essex, the dizzy caps highest point is the King Lead :lol:
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi Smoke em, that's not quite the case, this particular cap is an after market cap and when compared to the Bosch original the king tower is markedly taller, for the life of me I can't see why though, but hey you live and learn...well I have certainly lived a lot, as for learning..... :lol:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Sooo....was that DEFINITELY it? Problem all sorted for sure now?
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi Ayra,

It's looking good to be honest but I'm not going to get to carried away just yet as that car has a mind of her own but definitely looking good so far..... :burnout:
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update, new HT leads and cap did cure the issue, it's been over a month now and she starts first time every time, now, I just need to sort out that body work.......... ;)

Wayne