Jump Starter Devices

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Jump Starter Devices

Post by pbar »

I noticed that Aldi has stocks of these at the moment, £50 I think.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Cant help but wonder ... if these things are so great ( Im sure they are ) .... why are we still #ucking about with lead acid batteries
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mc Tool wrote:Cant help but wonder ... if these things are so great ( Im sure they are ) .... why are we still #ucking about with lead acid batteries
Hi,
I asked this very question a few weeks ago on a different thread. Electric and Hybrid cars use Li-Ion technology for power, so why aren't they used for the everyday car electrical system?

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Mc Tool wrote:Cant help but wonder ... if these things are so great ( Im sure they are ) .... why are we still #ucking about with lead acid batteries
As said, this have been talked about recently. Nick posted a link to an article you might find of interest which explains a few things.
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

i think you find cell stability is an issue aswell as they don't like vibrations, knocks, heat, low % capacity etc.
Charging cycles and storage are all big factors and really for continual use the batteries need to be larger than you get in these jump starters.

Nothing i am sure which couldn't be overcome, but considering current battery technology is soo cheap, it would mean i large investment into the technology. That is my best guess and from experience of using similar Lithium battery technology.
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Has anyone had any trouble with these devices at all? Mine failed to start the car tonight and now it's just giving error beeps and flashes when I try to use it. Might have to take it back I think.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Will01 wrote:i think you find cell stability is an issue aswell as they don't like vibrations, knocks, heat, low % capacity etc.
Charging cycles and storage are all big factors and really for continual use the batteries need to be larger than you get in these jump starters.
I think that`s the point, they don`t like heat, overcharging, excessive discharge.... lead acid batteries are quite tolerant of abuse. And, as above, they may be OK for a short boost to jump start, but would they have capacity to turn a reluctant damp engine over & over for maybe a minute or more? I suspect not. Not for a comparable price anyway.
Plus, my laptop is not yet 5 years old and is on it`s third (genuine HP) battery pack.. My mums Dell was sh***ed after 6 months. The life isn`t always that great.

Paul; the Capri?
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote:
Paul; the Capri?
Yes. Think I will take the jump starter back and get a refund, and get a different one from elsewhere.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Couldn`t you just get a cheap battery to use in emergencies? But obviously get your money back first...
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote:Couldn`t you just get a cheap battery to use in emergencies? But obviously get your money back first...
It is an option, but much more hassle carrying a heavy battery, and having to keep it charged. These little devices really are tremendous, so easy. When they work of course.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Bring back the starting handle I say!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote:Bring back the starting handle I say!
I remember those :lol:

Just disconnect the battery when not in use :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well thought I'd try my local Aldi to see if they had any left of their version (actually made my Energizer) of this, and to my surprise they did have a few left locked in the glass cabinets. So I got one, just been reduced to £38 (from £50) which was lucky. The same one is £95 in Argos. It is even more compact than the Lidl one and it starts a higher engine size also, so I'm actually better off. Hope to test it later!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

pbar wrote: to my surprise they did have a few left locked in the glass cabinets. So I got one, just been reduced to £38 (from £50) which was lucky.
It is even more compact than the Lidl one and it starts a higher engine size also, so I'm actually better off. Hope to test it later!
Nice one Paul :)

This one certainly sounds a very decent one indeed. Great price too. Hope it does the business for you fella but best not "jump" to any conclusions yet :lol:

All the best Paul

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well thankfully the Aldi one worked a treat. Started the car great :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote:Well thankfully the Aldi one worked a treat. Started the car great :)
Nice one Paul :)
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

i used the Aldi one yesterday. It hadn't been charged in a while and only showed 50% capacity and allowed me to start a car which had laid for 4 years and the battery left connected and completley dead. plugged on cranked for 30secs and the car started (sounded like bag of nails but i only needed to move out the way for engine swap)
it then let me start the car another 4 occasions.

Personal real recent expereince is it is a great piece of kit. highly recommended if it can pull that off! Better than my mains plug in starter booster!!!!!!
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Wow that is pretty amazing! Hard to believe that it could achieve all that, fantastic.
pbar

Post by pbar »

These have now been reduced in aldi to just £19.99. Now that is a bargain.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi Paul?

As soon as the freezing cold weather goes away they reduce the price. Typical :lol:

Still thats a great price and still worth having one of these in case you run down the battery by mistake, or have a problem with the battery and need to jump it to get you somewhere whilst sorting a new one. I looked at my Sakura one the other day. I last used it ages ago when the freezing weather first hit before christmas and my Fiesta battery was on its last legs. Its been sitting around since then and still showing 86% charge !

Great heads up Paul and great bit if kit these things are.

All the best

Nick