will 2.8 front discs fit on a 2 litre?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

will 2.8 front discs fit on a 2 litre?

Post by Arya2.0S »

Looking to buy a new pair of front discs as i think my old ones are warped, and i can buy a nice vented set for a 2.8 on ebay cheaper than i can get the lower spec non vented ones for the standard 2.0, but will they fit? Not sure if they have different brake calipers or what not so thought id ask first.

Thanks.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: will 2.8 front discs fit on a 2 litre?

Post by Peter-S »

Arya2.0S wrote:Looking to buy a new pair of front discs as i think my old ones are warped, and i can buy a nice vented set for a 2.8 on ebay cheaper than i can get the lower spec non vented ones for the standard 2.0, but will they fit? Not sure if they have different brake calipers or what not so thought id ask first.

Thanks.
In essence they will fit but the problem is the caliper has a spacer on the 2.8 that makes it wider to accommodate the wider disc. There are also a couple of spacers to locate it correctly on the strut. You can get these bits though.
If you want standard items I'm sure I have an unused pair of standard discs in the shed that came with some other stuff I picked up earlier this year. Not looking for a fortune for them but obviously heavy to post.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
jimmyted
Car(s): ford capri 1.6L - now 2.0L

Post by jimmyted »

Yep. As Peter says, caliper spacer kit from Rally Design or Burtons will let you get the wider discs in. You'll also have to remove the metal dust plates on the back, which can be slightly awkward being as they're bolted through part of the steering assembly.

The solid discs are mainly fine on the road, but I did a track day and found the brake fade to be horrendous. Vented discs made a huge difference.

You can see the setup in this vid :

https://youtu.be/VP5I5HTO7uE

Jim
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Peter-S wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:Looking to buy a new pair of front discs as i think my old ones are warped, and i can buy a nice vented set for a 2.8 on ebay cheaper than i can get the lower spec non vented ones for the standard 2.0, but will they fit? Not sure if they have different brake calipers or what not so thought id ask first.

Thanks.
In essence they will fit but the problem is the caliper has a spacer on the 2.8 that makes it wider to accommodate the wider disc. There are also a couple of spacers to locate it correctly on the strut. You can get these bits though.
If you want standard items I'm sure I have an unused pair of standard discs in the shed that came with some other stuff I picked up earlier this year. Not looking for a fortune for them but obviously heavy to post.
jimmyted wrote:Yep. As Peter says, caliper spacer kit from Rally Design or Burtons will let you get the wider discs in. You'll also have to remove the metal dust plates on the back, which can be slightly awkward being as they're bolted through part of the steering assembly.

The solid discs are mainly fine on the road, but I did a track day and found the brake fade to be horrendous. Vented discs made a huge difference.

You can see the setup in this vid :

https://youtu.be/VP5I5HTO7uE

Jim

Thanks for the info and the offer Peter.

I was hoping to upgrade the standard discs you see which is why i was looking at the 2.8 ones, but if i need extra parts to make them fit i wont bother. I did look for an alternative however and found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180455191701? ... EBIDX%3AIT

They look pretty good and offer a suitable upgrade and should help prevent the issue i have now which is a warped disc. At high speeds and under heavy braking i get a very severe wobble which must be a warped disc as the steering and tracking is fine and the car brakes straight and even.
These should offer a bit of extra stopping power too because of the grooves.

Does anyone have any experience with this companies' products?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I also have some standard grooved discs if you want s/h. Probably covered about 5,000 miles. I took them off when I changed to four pots.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Peter-S wrote:I also have some standard grooved discs if you want s/h. Probably covered about 5,000 miles. I took them off when I changed to four pots.
Yeah? I dont know much about brake discs, is 5000 miles considered a lot? Dont want to skimp on something as important as brakes, especially after the accident.