Best place to get tyres?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Best place to get tyres?

Post by Arya2.0S »

I'm having issues finding tyres for a set of 2.8 pepperpots i was considering putting on my Capri before the accident. My old standard 4 spoke alloys are looking well past it and the tyres even more so, so its long overdue for a fresh set of boots. Thing is i cant seem to find anywhere that sells tyres for the pepperpots, and the few that do arent exactly reasonably priced.

Does anyone here know something i dont?
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Best place to get tyres?

Post by andyd »

No alot of choice for 205 60 13

http://capriclub.co.uk/tyre-13

Nankang are ok I have used them http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop. ... p=R-123326

Maxxis?? http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop. ... p=R-277364

Falken also did them and are used by a few on here, if you can still get them?

Any decent local tyre company should be able to get any of the above.....

:goodluck:
Last edited by andyd on Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
As you've found out, tyresupply and choice for the 2.8 is extremely limited. You have the choice of Nankang, Maxxis or a new brand, Keter.
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop. ... Show+tyres
Nankang appear to be cheap enough, but I don't know anything about them, so I can't tell you if they are any good or not.

CCI also have a supply of Federal in 205/60-13. However, I would be wary of buying these as tyres are generally reckoned to have a safe working life of no more than 6 years, whether they are used or not. The tyres CCI have were purchased from a supply that bug, on this forum, offered for sale over two years ago. Therefore, these tyres will be some time into their useful life. To be sure, ask them to confirm the date code on the tyre sidewall before you part with your cash.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

I think Andrew and myself were finding the same details at the same time, hence some similar info :D

I asked my local fitter (also called Andy) :shock: about tyres 'Flat Spotting' during winter storage, and he said it's the bead around the rim that distorts
and not the area of tyre the car is sat on.....If you cant remove the wheels and put car on axle stands, then roll it forward a few inches once a week or so to even out any pressure :)
Last edited by andyd on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:I think Andrew and myself were finding the same details at the same time, hence some similar info :D
Great minds, and all that!
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:I think Andrew and myself were finding the same details at the same time, hence some similar info :D
Great minds, and all that!
AHHHHHH Stop doing that :lol:

Good point about old tyre stock and checking dates.

I know people that buy NOS or nearly new Pirelli P6 and P600 etc.... But they are way to old to drive on, so only useful for Concourse or Show Car
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

andyd wrote:No alot of choice for 205 60 13

http://capriclub.co.uk/tyre-13

Nankang are ok I have used them http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop. ... p=R-123326

Any decent local tyre company should be able to get any of the above.....

:goodluck:
Those are by far the cheapest i have seen so far! Didnt think any online store would have them thats for sure, so thanks!

No ive tried a couple of tyre companies and they either want exorbitant prices for them, or say they simply cant get them as they are a "dead size", hence why i decided to ask on here as i was getting no where doing it in real life.

Heck, trying to find tyres for the old rs 4 spokes was proving to be difficult too, one guy wanted to charge me more per tyre by nearly a fiver than those Nakangs are per tyre for the pepperpots!

I figured getting tyres for the pepperpots were gonna be waaaay out of my price range if i could find them at all, so i figured id have to settle for getting new tyres for my old 4 spokes instead as i found a place that can get those for just over £30 a piece but with those Nankangs being so reasonable (relatively so anyhow) im not so sure anymore, as i do love me some pepperpots, even though i dont own a 2.8.

Either way i need new tyres, as the ones i have on it now are well over a decade old, they were on the car when i bought it.

Thanks everyone, now i have a better idea what to do
andyd

Post by andyd »

Actually I have 185 60 13 Nankangs on my XR2..... Got them locally no problem :)
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

andyd wrote:Actually I have 185 60 13 Nankangs on my XR2..... Got them locally no problem :)
185's are easier to get, its the 205's that seem like fairy dust.But even at 185/13's I was told to get bigger wheels because the tyres would be easier to get by one guy. :xd:
renaulthater
Car(s): Laser laquer red 1600

Post by renaulthater »

Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Holy crap those are even cheaper! Great find, thanks!