Spray paint colour

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Rosco59
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s Restoration project

Spray paint colour

Post by Rosco59 »

Hi what spray paint colour would be a good match for the steering wheel centre cover for the mk3 grey wheel. thanks
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Spray paint colour

Post by andyd »

Nick is the Halfords Vinyl Paint expert on here :lol:

Dark or Light Grey I would imagine? I have used the Light Grey on my XR2 kick panels and it is good stuff for under £10.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... -dark-grey
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... light-grey

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=49783

:goodluck: Andy
Rosco59
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s Restoration project

Post by Rosco59 »

Thanks just bought a tin of light grey looks like a good match.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi mate,

Great advice from Andy there as ever ! Only thing I would add and sorry its a bit late in the day but only just in from work, is that if you are considering restoring the rest of your grey trim I would highly advise you use the Dark Grey for this. Even though its called Dark Grey it is in fact a very good match for the original trim whether it be the ashtray, glove box or kick panels. As you are only doing the centre of your steering wheel and its only a small area then hopefully the Light Grey has done the trick for you :)

This Halfords Flexible Vinyl Paint (HFVP) is fantastic stuff ! I pretty much sprayed every bit of trim I could find and its completely restored the whole interior of my Laser...but as said I used the Dark Grey for this. If you apply it in very light coats you still retain the "texture" in the original trim. I can talk all night and day about HFVP so I better quit now before I bore you all to death......again :sleepy: :sleepy: :)

All the best

Nick

PS...
andyd wrote:Nick is the Halfords Vinyl Paint expert on here :lol:
Thanks Andy. Very nice of you to say old chap. I have some uses on this forum then :wave: :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
PS...
andyd wrote:Nick is the Halfords Vinyl Paint expert on here :lol:
Thanks Andy. Very nice of you to say old chap. I have some uses on this forum then :wave: :)
There's no substitute for experience :D
mrc081
Car(s): Capri MK3 2.8i (Used for weekends and shows), Fiesta MK3 (used for shows and weekends), Cortina MK3 (Restoration Project)

Post by mrc081 »

HI,

This is something I have been wanting to do for ages. What kind of pre treatment do you need to apply on the Vinyl before spraying the fresh paint?

Do you actually sand it down as my worry is that when sanding the vinyl down before painting you will be removing the existing vinyl texture.

Can you please give some guidance please? I hope I will be able to purchase this paint online and get it delivered to Malta :)

Thanks

Marco
andyd

Post by andyd »

mrc081 wrote:HI,

This is something I have been wanting to do for ages. What kind of pre treatment do you need to apply on the Vinyl before spraying the fresh paint?

Do you actually sand it down as my worry is that when sanding the vinyl down before painting you will be removing the existing vinyl texture.

Can you please give some guidance please? I hope I will be able to purchase this paint online and get it delivered to Malta :)

Thanks

Marco
Hi,
I just made sure the trim was clean.
Wiped with a damp cloth first and allowed to dry, then sprayed in light coats until I was happy with the finish.

Halfords don't deliver....Amazon advertise Light Grey but out of stock https://www.amazon.co.uk/Halfords-Flexi ... B005RDRI1Y

You may find a version of it locally or online??

:goodluck:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

mrc081 wrote:What kind of pre treatment do you need to apply on the Vinyl before spraying the fresh paint?
Hi Marco,
If it was me, I would wipe the trim over with a panel wipe before painting.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Yep as already has been said just wipe the panels (i just used warm soapy water with a sponge)and leave to dry then apply with very fine coats. This way you wont "overspray" and lose the texture in the vinyl. Its dry in about a min or so so you can apply the coats pretty quick. One thing I would say is its well worth getting one of those spray trigger guns you snap onto the top of the can of paint. Gives you much more control over the spraying. I used the Dark Grey Paint on ALL my Laser trim and it was a great match ! Think I sprayed every single panel on my Laser. Was very rewarding to see how well it turned out !

Very good stuff is Halfords Flexible Vinyl Paint (HFVP) :)

:goodluck:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
mrc081
Car(s): Capri MK3 2.8i (Used for weekends and shows), Fiesta MK3 (used for shows and weekends), Cortina MK3 (Restoration Project)

Post by mrc081 »

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

I will ask my friend int eh UK to post me a couple of cans so I use the halford brand as in Malta I do not recall we do have it.

The upholstery of the 2.8i is the same grey or is it different?

Really appreciated!!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Why o why did I read this as that Nick has got me getting some dark grey paint to sort that small little bit on my ashtray that only I new was there .
My iPad did this not me as my finger caught the edge and I started to read . It's 12.45 in the morning and Iam looking up paint ...

Night all and yes that's my next project .

Also to that last chap answer on using that paint on his seats it's a big No and sorry for leaving it a bit late to answer :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: