Strut steering arm

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Toxcity
Car(s): 2015 Abarth 595 Competizione, 2004 Smart Roadster, 1983 Ford Capri LS 1600

Strut steering arm

Post by Toxcity »

Hello all!

Had an MOT today and passed! Yay! But what we noticed when in the pit looking around is that both my steering arms (the ones bolted to the strut) have worked loose. Both sides have about the same amount of play. I know how to fix this since I was the one who put them together but what I'm worried about is how they become loose?! I did them to spec with a torque wrench. :proof:

Any ideas? Cheers!

Nic
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Strut steering arm

Post by Caprigear »

They should have castle nuts with split pins so shouldn't come loose.If you've used normal bolts you should have at least used nyloc nuts or thread lock.
Toxcity
Car(s): 2015 Abarth 595 Competizione, 2004 Smart Roadster, 1983 Ford Capri LS 1600

Post by Toxcity »

Yep, castle nut and split pins are installed. After 1000miles they have worked loose so you can wobble them up and down. Very odd... will do up again and hope for the best!
FordFan96
Car(s): Ford Capri mk 3 (Project Car/Baby)

Post by FordFan96 »

Hello, I have recently bought a mk 3 2.0 as a project. Always loved the Capri but have limited to no experience working on cars so thought this would be a good opportunity to start. The bloke I bought the Capri off had taken the steering out to refurbish it, nee brushes etc. Would it be too much hassle to give me a step guide of reinstalling please?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

FordFan96 wrote:give me a step guide of reinstalling
Hi, this very site has many how to guides on various Capri jobs, you can find them here -

http://www.fordcaprilaser.co.uk/page21.html

Might be a good place for you to start? Good luck, hope you enjoy working on the car!
jimmyted
Car(s): ford capri 1.6L - now 2.0L

Post by jimmyted »

Those steering arms bolts go right through and hold that flimsy dust plate behind the discs in place. If this has rotted out behind the bolt head it could give you some play. I don't see how it could be anything else if you torqued them and put a pin through.
FordFan96
Car(s): Ford Capri mk 3 (Project Car/Baby)

Post by FordFan96 »

Thank you very much both.