Saving the 2.0s - Front indicator mounting!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Capri&Corona
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s, Glacia blue.

Saving the 2.0s - Front indicator mounting!

Post by Capri&Corona »

Hi, i have an on going project in the project section 'saving the 2.0s'

My first question is how do i mount my indicator units (including housings) into to bottom corner holes of the front valance after de bumpering?

I have attempted to slot the unit in from the front and it doesnt fit flush, and if located at the rear, it will not be supported and is extruded away from the valance. pictures would help,

Many thanks, George :ford:

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Saving the 2.0s - Front indicator mounting!

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi George,
Keep the front bumper....it makes a nice mounting place for the indicators! :lol:
Quite a few of the bumperless Capris seem to have a smaller indicator unit fitted into those bottom holes. Perhaps that might be an option to consider?

All the best,
Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Keep the front bumper.
I would second that, can't understand the need to lose a bumper. Unless of course it is for space, to fit in a garage etc.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

I'll 3rd that......... I understand why years ogo the humble Cappa was de bumpered, jacked up, muralled, body kitted (guilty as charged :oops:)..... Even soft topped or pickuped...... It was cheap and plentiful.
I'm sure your motor will be a cracking car once you've finished but I'm on the preservation side even if it's retro modded in my case.....
:goodluck:
Green-Ghia
Car(s): 1979 Ford Capri MKIII 2.0 Ghia - Apollo Green

Post by Green-Ghia »

timfromull wrote:I'll 3rd that......... I understand why years ogo the humble Cappa was de bumpered, jacked up, muralled, body kitted (guilty as charged :oops:)..... Even soft topped or pickuped...... It was cheap and plentiful.
I'm sure your motor will be a cracking car once you've finished but I'm on the preservation side even if it's retro modded in my case.....
:goodluck:
I'll 4th that, I'm a standard fetishist myself and think they look best as intended with bumpers :-)
1979 Ford Capri MKIII 2.0 Ghia - Apollo Green / Chocolate Brown Verona Trim
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I get the whole "its my car i'll do what i want" thing and the whole space for personal taste and opinion but...yeah, keep the bumper. They are there for a reason.
Ford spent quite a bit of money and used experts who went to school (hard to believe i know) to design these cars and the bumpers were put there for a specific task, plus they just look better with them on. Its not the 90's anymore either, lol.

But its still your car at the end of the day so do what you want, but im 5th-ing...(is that even a thing? It is now, screw it!) the notion to put the bumpers back on, and im the least "purist pleasing" person out there.
NaisiaN
Car(s): 1.6 laser 1986. (Toy)
1.4 Renault 19 TR 1989. (Daily)

Post by NaisiaN »

i'm with the OP on this one....don't shoot me! :mrgreen:

I think the capri's do look pretty beefy de-bumpered, shows off the muscle car lines, (although i think the valance should be tidied up and some of the holes filled first).
I personally wouldn't do anything to my car which cant be reversed tho and i'd keep any original parts to one side... That said mine is a laser and wouldn't be worth time and effort restore it back to original spec. i think its slightly more acceptable modifying a laser. Maybe an S and rarer models should be left as standard imo or at least be able to be put back to standard.

anyway back to the topic...... i have no idea sorry! lol! Good luck tho with the project, sure itll look mint whatever :guitar: :cheers:
Jordan