Paint problem

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Re: Paint problem

Post by Stish704 »

Aldi have some decent stuff now and then so I'll give them a look.
Stish704
Donator
Donator

Post by Stish704 »

I bought myself a Sealey polisher. Will give it a go later and let you know what it is like.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Be very careful along edges or if there are swages/folds in the panel as it`s possible to burn through the paint. Probably best to use power on big flat surfaces but finish the edges by hand?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
As Steve says, be careful. However, you don't strike me as somebody who jumps in at the deep end, so I'm sure you've researched many online articles and gathered plenty of hints and tips.
What product are you using with the machine polisher?
Please take a before and after photo and post them on here, so we can all see your good work!

All the best,
Andrew.
Stish704
Donator
Donator

Post by Stish704 »

I'm going to try the auto glym stuff you suggested. Yep, I will post up when I get round to it!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Righto. Bear in mind that the Extra Gloss is a paintwork sealant. You'll still need to use a compound/polish/wax beforehand to restore or shine the paint as required.
Detailing websites are usually a good source of tips. Be aware though, those guys spend a fortune on products but the results are astounding.

Good luck!

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Be very careful with any products that you are using on your paintwork, you have already had a taster of what can happen if your paint takes offence, you really don't want to be staring at your car with something irreparable, and in a state of regret. But good luck.
Stish704
Donator
Donator

Post by Stish704 »

Rights, update. After spending the best part of three weekends degreasing and rubbing in G3 paint renovator,buying a polisher and some auto glym super resin polish I finally have a result!
Now, me and cleaning cars don't really go. I hate it. But this needed to be done. And I'm really pleased I did.
It was getting to a point where I thought the car would need a respray. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed and down I was feeling about it. Put it this way, I'm not taking it back to the guy who did clean and polish it for me originaly.
But, as I said after plenty of elbow grease and perseverance I have finally got the paint work back up to scratch.
I'll post up some pictures later.
Thanks so much for all the help and advice you guys have given me. Invaluable!
Definitely some lessons learned.
pbar

Post by pbar »

That's great, thanks for the update! Please continue to update with any further happenings, I do fear that, with re-applying the wax (autoglym which is what causes this same issue on mine), that it might re-occur if water is allowed to settle and dry on the paint. Good luck though.
Stish704
Donator
Donator

Post by Stish704 »

I'll have to admit, I am worried about that. We'll see and fingers crossed!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Wax is supposed to leave a thin clear layer of protection on top of the paint. With single stage paints though, such as yours (and mine), the paint is permeable and so the wax absorbs into it. This, coupled with water which may dwell on the surface due to beading (again caused by the wax) and being allowed to dry (especially quickly) can cause a reaction on some cars which results in the type 3 water spotting which you had.

I believe the degreaser works as it removes some of the wax which has affected the paint and the spots along with it. As wax is the major factor (as is evident in the fact that this only happened after your car was waxed), you need to keep wax away from the paint. As you have re-waxed the car again, in my opinion the chances are it will just keep happening.

I do hope for the best for you though, and please keep updated!
Stish704
Donator
Donator

Post by Stish704 »

It's been a while I know, but these spots have come back with a vengeance! All over the bonnet and roof. Nowhere else which is weird! I've been trying to get rid of them since I originally posted this up but to no avail.
I've tried everything. G3, boiling water, degreaser, panel wipe , everything!
I'm going to see this summer out then get it in for a respray. Only option I think.
To say I'm down about it is an understatement.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Sorry to hear this. I did suspect and mention previously though, if you keep waxing, they will keep re-appearing. I know what a nuisance it can be. I would hold off on a respray to be honest, although I know of a handful of people with this phenomenon, until the cause is known you wouldn't want to pay for a respray and have it happen again.

They have appeared on your bonnet and roof as that is where the water can dwell on a waxed car as those surfaces are horizontal.

Degreaser followed by G3 will eventually make them go. Also, try WD-40, just smear it on with a dry cloth, let it dwell for a minute or two, then wipe off with a damp cloth.

You really need to get the wax off the car, or you will never stop it. There are several products to de-wax a car which get rid of all contaminants on there. Can't remember which one I have, will have a look and post later.

It is possible to get rid of them all and have your car back to normal.

Bet you hate the day your car was first waxed! As it all stems from that.
Stish704
Donator
Donator

Post by Stish704 »

Thing is, I haven't been waxing it. I've been using the polish I suppose but surely that can't be it?
Honestly, I've tried everything. I'm going to get some more degreaser though and saturate it right in and see what happens.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Stish704 wrote:Thing is, I haven't been waxing it. I've been using the polish I suppose but surely that can't be it?
You used the Autogylm SRP. Same stuff I used. It has the same effect, it causes water to form droplets/bead and dwell on the paint surface.

Probably best to use the degreaser method as you say. Then use the G3 as before to take that off and hopefully the staining/spots will disappear as you do that.

Then use something like G3 body prep, this removes all traces of wax/polish and other contaminants. You might want to do several cycles of this on the roof/bonnet (i.e. wash and rinse off, then repeat) to make sure it's all off.

Then I would also smear some WD-40 on using a dry cloth, then wipe that off with a damp cloth. The paintwork will be spotless after all that, very shiny and clean. And when it rains the water will just sheet off the car and will dry quickly and not remain wet.
Stish704
Donator
Donator

Post by Stish704 »

Ok mate, I'll get be that a go. Many thanks again!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Good luck :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Who would have thought the one thing you would have believed would protect your paintwork could well indeed actually be the cause of your problems Stish ! I always use Autoglym Super Resin but then again I dont drive in the rain or the couple of times I have I have spent an hour drying it off before parking it up in garage :lol: Paul is dead right though as when it has rained on my Capri the rain droplets amazingly just sit on the surface and eventually roll off if I am driving. Stish I really hope you can get this sorted mate as it must be knocking you back all the time. Keep with it and as Paul said you will eventually cure it :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Stish704
Donator
Donator

Post by Stish704 »

Will do Nick, thanks. Poxy cars!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

If you cant seem to fix this, you might get away with just making sure all the wax is removed and giving the car a once over with a coat of lacquer? A lot cheaper than a full respray i would have thought?