2.8i rocker cover oil leak

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
car450
Car(s): 1986 2.8i special-wanted a nice one for some time and this turned up in Dec 2011. Only covered 2000miles in last 12 years

Also have fully restored 1962 Austin Westminster A110, and 1963 Austin Cambridge A60

2.8i rocker cover oil leak

Post by car450 »

I've had an ongoing leak from bottom rear corner of the driver's side bank.

I've fitted 2 cork gaskets(both from different local motor factors) with no luck. I've carefully cleaned both mating surfaces and applied blue hylomar sealant. Still it piddles out. I can even feel the oil leak. It's not from the distributor O ring nor is it the inlet manifold leaking.

There is no obvious warping to the rocker cover and I haven't overtightened the bolts.

Do genuine Ford gaskets (if they exist) help? Also I see the club sell quite expensive rubber gaskets-can anyone say if these are any good?

As ever comments are much appreciated.

Simon
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Re: 2.8i rocker cover oil leak

Post by brooky »

I have always used motor factor cork seals with no problem so there is either something wrong with the cover or mating face or leak is somewhere else. Can you definitely see it coming from the rocker cover seal.
car450
Car(s): 1986 2.8i special-wanted a nice one for some time and this turned up in Dec 2011. Only covered 2000miles in last 12 years

Also have fully restored 1962 Austin Westminster A110, and 1963 Austin Cambridge A60

Post by car450 »

Yes, I can feel the leak coming from around the bottom left corner. As the area is clean it is quite easy to see that it is not from anywhere else. Perhaps I need to check the face of the rocker cover with a straight edge. I haven't torqued the bolts but I've not had this problem before.

Back off again and 3rd gasket then!
2.8capri46
Car(s): 2.8i capri 1983

Post by 2.8capri46 »

hi mate did you ever get to the bottom problem with your rocker cover as ive got the same fault. ive changed the rocker cover gasket , didn't cure it, then I noticed oil dripping from oil cooler/filter assy so changed the 2 seals involved in that, no change. To be honest I think its still the rocker cover , oil pools on a tiny flat on the block below and in line with the bottom corner of the rocker cover, that now appears to be dripping onto and around oil cooler then down. Any help appreciated as its really annoying me. Thanks