accuspark ingition

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
scottman1962
Car(s): Ford mk3ls 1600l

accuspark ingition

Post by scottman1962 »

Hi , Has anybody fitted an accuspark electronic ingition to 1600 pinto engine, if so are they easy to fit , any good
cheers ian
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Re: accuspark ingition

Post by fordperv »

It looks very easy, I've got to do a mates cortina sometime this week for him, it's as simple as removing the points and condenser, fitting the replacement parts in the dizzy, a switch 12v which comes on with the ignition and a neutral for the unit, then adjust the ignition timing with a strobe
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I've recently fitted a complete kit on a MK2 2.0GL that I'm rebuilding for a customer. I used a powerspark set up. A brilliant piece of kit.
You get a brand new dizzy converted to electronic, new coil, new dizzy cap and a set of HT leads. I would prefer to fit the complete kit rather than simply convert an old distributer.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Accuspark units go wrong. Simples. Anyone disagrees, get Accuspark to sue me. I'm not a fan - the idea is great but the quality is crap.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

This is what I got for my mates mk3 Tina
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120763001813? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I popped along earlier instead of in the week to fit it because It had stopped raining, honestly it couldn't of been easier to fit, the powerspark unit went in place of the points with some thermal grease under it, slide the magnet unit onto the central shaft of the distributor and push it into place, 12v to + side of the coil (no ballast resistor) the red wire from the powerspark unit to the + side of the coil and the black wire from the powerspark to the - side of the coil, that is it, i had to set the ignition timing as it was retarded after fitting the parts but that's it
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

There is also a walkthrough on how to do it here -

viewtopic.php?t=46388

Personally I would also rather stick with points.
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

Agree with Dave - Total crap. Cheap components from China that fail. Longest I've heard of being all good is 13 months, shortest being 3 days (Complete dizzy failure, replaced by supplier & the new one failed 2 months after!)

Stay with points until you can afford an Aldon set up or better still Bestek. (If your dizzy is fine, fit a decent in dizzy solution like lumenition or the Aldon kit from Burtons £100 or so)
Tamworthbay
Car(s): Y reg 1.6L in imperial red, ex owner of 3.0s and 2.0 GL in gorgeous Tibetan gold

Post by Tamworthbay »

I have run accusspark on a series, b series, pintos and rover v8s. Never had an issue once setup. One a series needed a different rotor arm with a spacer on but that was all. In total I have done over 15000 miles on them without any issues at all. The first one I fitted is still going strong after five years and about 8000 miles. I know of others with them as well and no issues that I am aware of. It is critical to use the heat sink paste to ensure good heat transfer away from the units or they will cook themselves - but that is true of any system.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Tamworthbay wrote: It is critical to use the heat sink paste to ensure good heat transfer away from the units or they will cook themselves - but that is true of any system.
I just had to watch a video to see what you meant by the paste - you don't need to do that with the Aldon system, at least not when I fitted mine years ago.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
scottman1962

Post by scottman1962 »

Just after some more help, even though i'm not sure if i'm going to keep with the points or accuspark. Could you take a look at the coil? and what would the unit below the coil be called? Do i connect into those or the top of the coil?

stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

The 2 small items in centre of bottom pic? They look like suppressor capacitors, (or chokes???) they`re not O.E. though so I`d probably dump them and rewire everything to the coil from scratch.
(From the factory there WAS one near the distributor, it`s just to reduce radio frequency interference)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Just in case you weren't aware, those Accuspark kits need a constant 12v supply which a lot of people take from the spare wire near to the headlight realy (assuming you have that), or a new feed from the fusebox. Apparently some people don't do this correctly and have issues because fo it, so thought I'd mention it!
scottman1962

Post by scottman1962 »

pbar wrote:Just in case you weren't aware, those Accuspark kits need a constant 12v supply which a lot of people take from the spare wire near to the headlight realy (assuming you have that), or a new feed from the fusebox. Apparently some people don't do this correctly and have issues because fo it, so thought I'd mention it!
Thanks for that, the 12v supply got a alarm running from it, Fusebox looks promising looks like is got a spare terminal number( 2 or 4) denpending which way you look at it!!!!!!!!!!!