My worst nightmare...

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
01mpope
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 2.0 laser 1985
Ford capri mk1 1600gt 1969

My worst nightmare...

Post by 01mpope »

So after being in the front of a 6 car pile up in November, of which a third or fourth or whatever party insurance company have finally accepted liability and got around to inspecting the damage to the rear end.. the rear valance needs replacing and that's it. I had a quote for £760, and the inspector said that's fine it will be a cash settlement for the repair to be done, no worries.

Then he told me this.

"The only problem we do have, is it shows on our systems that this was a category B write off in 1997, and it should have been dismantled."

Oh dear.
I had a look at his ipad, and he didn't have any information why it was written off, and he said that it's strange how 3 owners before me have had the car taxed, mot'd and insured without a problem.

I've done a little googling, and I know that it would have needed a VIC test before it would be aloud back on the road. If it hasnt had that and needed it, there would be a VIC marke on my v5c saying repaired on such a date or vic needed but there's nothing anywhere. I've even checked for matching chassis numbers but it's all good. vosa has changed to the dvsa, I can only really find mot history back to 2006, which it was put through several times over the years with the repairs done if needed each time..
I haven't done a history check as such, I done a £9 one when I bought the car last april but I can't remember who I used and I no longer have the email, but it came back with nothing.
Does anyone know what I can do? There's no way my car is in bad enough shape to be scrapped! Surely If there's nothing on my v5c that says anything about it, and it's been taxed without a problem in all this time then there must be a mistake? ?

The last thing we want is another laser in the graveyard!
:ford: :burnout: :ford:
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Re: My worst nightmare...

Post by nigecapri »

If it was me (and I've had experience of insurance companies' rip-off tactics over the past 35 years) I would be writing a firm letter to them stating that they have confirmed their liability for covering your material loss (on xx/xx/xx date) and that irrespective of any perceived technicality which they may think absolves them of meeting your claim, that you expect them to cover your losses in full with immediate effect and that they contact you by return of mail to confirm their acceptance of their liability to pay you.

Writing to them - keep a dated copy of the letter/email yourself- shows them you mean business and is the kick up the ass they will need to keep the ball rolling on this.

Not doing anything gives them the opportunity to also not do anything - and insurance companies like not doing anything because it costs them nothing!

I have no idea of the legal implications of running a listed write-off but if the DVLC has been happy to issue you with an owners document of registration & HMRC to accept your tax payments & the MOT to acknowledge your car as roadworthy then I would hope for a favourable outcome.

Burt Reynolds on here might be able to help, he's in insurance so message him for advice, see below:

Advanced search

Search found 7 matches • Page 1 of 1

by Andrew 2.8iTue Jun 09, 2015 8:08 pmForum: Q & ATopic: Classic car insuranceReplies: 96Views: 1484

Re: Classic car insurance

Hi Cliff,
For the past few years my best quote has been provided by an insurance broker, Coops.
https://coops.co.uk/site/
It's run by Ian "Burt" Reynolds, a nice chap who also drives a Capri.
andy a
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '69 Mk1 Capri 1300 Daily (now gone to a new owner)

73 Facelift 2000 GT long term project...

Post by andy a »

I'd ask for clarification from them of what category it was given, If it was given a category B designation then it should only have been sold to a licensed breaker for parts, so wouldn't be able to get an MOT or tax on it's original registration, as it would flag up on the system, Cat B's are classed as total loss, so can't be VIC checked.

Only Cat C vehicles need a VIC check, they're classed as financial losses, where the cost of repairs exceeds the cars value, but can be returned to the road, Cat D are cases where the cost of repair is near the vehicles value, but not more than, they can go back on the road without a check.

My thoughts are that a Capri, suffering even minor damage in 1997 would've been written off, as even minor repairs wouldn't have been viable on cost grounds, so if it's been given a category, and returned to the road it'll be either a Cat C, or D, if it was a B it wouldn't have been financially viable to repair it on cost grounds, and wouldn't have been able to be retained by it's owner, or anyone else who isn't a licensed breaker.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Write as Nige says and seek clarification of where 'their system' gets its info from pointing out that it does not agree with DVLA or other records. If there is nothing to support their records it suggests they are incorrect and need amending so tell them so.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Burtr
Car(s): 2.8i s

Post by Burtr »

Blush blush. I thank you - too kind. Yes I run Coops Insurance and own a beautiful 2.8 injection special. Thanks for recommending me. I can help with insurance on car/house/public liability and business insurance - but our passion is insurance for classic vehicles especially Ford Capris :D
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Are you not able to offer any advice with this though Burt?