Capri 2.0S

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
robbsy
Car(s): BMW

Capri 2.0S

Post by robbsy »

Hi
Can somebody tell me the bolt size that holds the middle propshaft supporting plate on a 2.0S
Thanks
Kev
Laser
Car(s): Daily Driver 1.6 Laser (247,00miles)
or 2.0S when I can find her key's !

Re: Capri 2.0S

Post by Laser »

13MM size bolts
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

They are either 3/8 UNC or 5/16 UNC but defiantly UNC
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

The ones holding the bearing/doughnut assembly to the floor? I thought they were M8? (which have a 13mm A.F. head)
However I`ve only ever put same ones back so just assumption. Surprised if it was UNC though as I thought they felt finer...
Arnoldhar

Post by Arnoldhar »

All chassic bolts on my early mk3 are imperial mostly UNC with the exception of a few unf like the cross member to chassic. So I would have see no reason that ford changed them on latter cars
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Arnoldhar wrote:All chassic bolts on my early mk3 are imperial mostly UNC with the exception of a few unf like the cross member to chassic. So I would have see no reason that ford changed them on latter cars
Fair enough, as I say I`ve only ever put the same ones back. Just a thought, but is the mounting for a type9 perhaps in a slightly different position (??)* and if so, could they have possibly `modernised` the part to metric at that time?

* or am I thinking of Auto models....?
BTW, am I right in thinking the rear shackle nuts were actually Whitworth as they have a UNC ish thread but slightly bigger head for the thread size, is that possible?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote:BTW, am I right in thinking the rear shackle nuts were actually Whitworth as they have a UNC ish thread but slightly bigger head for the thread size, is that possible?
Hi,
The shackle bolts are 5/16 UNC, a 10mm spanner is required, if I recall correctly.

Out of interest, my gearbox mounting crossmember has an M8 thread, so perhaps some of the captive nuts on the chassis were updated on later cars. The same might be true of the prop centre mounting too.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arnoldhar

Post by Arnoldhar »

Steve the 5 speed box goes straight on the same floor fixings, that's why it's an easy swap 4-5 speed. as for the rear Spring hangers 5/16 UNC
I believe all mk1,2 and 3 have imperial chassic bolts, Kent, Essex engines are also imperial, pinto is metric, Cologne I expect is metric but I have never had one.

If you ever need to keep a few spare bolts just get a few 5/16 and 3/8 UNC and matching taps,

My chassic is 78 so it is possible that they changed to metric in latter years, not sure if the chassic was build in the uk then assembled in Germany however my understanding was all mk3's were build in Germany

It would be interesting to find out if ford changed the bolt types and when, even all the suspension is imperial so if they had changed that we would have issues replacing TCA's ect